Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doominator2

Most annoying monsters in doom?

It's not so much the monsters, it's cheap/repetitive/tedious placement. Revenants generally top the list in all three cases however.

For those who hate Pain Elementals: get close to them as close as possible, in that case they can't spawn Lost Souls!

I always do that if I can.

I know this is probably expected but, Revenants. As soon as I hear their scream, I get nervous and frantically run around with my rocket launcher and try to find it before a homing rocket gets me. Man, I hate homing rockets.

Katamori said:

For those who hate Pain Elementals: get close to them as close as possible, in that case they can't spawn Lost Souls!

I always do that if I can.

Ya and when your face to face with them dont forget to BFG'em :)

Revenants, eternally. Plus I love how not even the chaingun can prevent them from getting off a rocket here or there.

The Cyberdemon is close second though, so frustrating sometimes, the way he can spot you from so far away and the rockets silently creep up without being detected.

Pain Elemental isn't much of a bother to me for two reasons. 1. They don't have much health. 2. They generally refrain from spitting a Lost Soul if you get out of their point of view before their attack animation goes off.

Revenant, Pain Elemental, clouds of Lost Souls, and the Archvile get the BFG 9000 treatment from every single time. I have not patience for them!

Piper Maru said:

the Archvile get the BFG 9000 treatment from every single time. I have not patience for them!

Same here, usually to prevent them from resurrecting the monsters I just killed, I will also instantly use the BFG on Pain Elemental's to prevent a whole storm of Lost Souls.

Lost souls; if they had less health, maybe similar to the PSX Doom/Doom64 version, they'd be fine. I just hate the fact that you need two shotgun blasts to kill the little buggers.

Waffenak said:

revenants or lost souls, damn skullheads

What a about a revenant that releases a lost soul upon dying? *grin*

Maes said:

What a about a revenant that releases a lost soul upon dying? *grin*

You know what, it would be cool if revenants head would turn into lost soul after revenants "death": after revenants collapsing the skull would detach violently bursting from the spine and then burst in flames while hovering midair. Subforms of enemies were used in shadow warrior when suicide bomber released a ghost.

I'd have to go with Archvile because whilst the others are annoying, there are ways to negate them;

Revenant has a high pain chance, so the chaingun is very effective at dealing with them, and they have fairly low health. The key is just not to lose sight of them and take them out with priority.

Lost Souls probably have more health than they should after Pain Elementals were invented - again though, both have high pain chance, and can be negated if dealt with early.

Archviles though, there is no redeeming feature. They soak up pain and damage, they're very quick, and as soon as the flames appear you don't have much warning and you know you're in trouble. Add that to the fact that they often questionably employed in pwads and it's a nightmare scenario - they raise ammo soaking monsters like barons or mancubi as easily as they do infantry and can cause you to run out of ammo fast. I actually rank them no. 2 behind the cyberdemon as in most scenarios they can cause a lot more trouble than the Spider, and yet it's also not particularly satisfying to kill one.

Yuck! Hate 'em :P

Waffenak said:

You know what, it would be cool if revenants head would turn into lost soul after revenants "death": after revenants collapsing the skull would detach violently bursting from the spine and then burst in flames while hovering midair. Subforms of enemies were used in shadow warrior when suicide bomber released a ghost.

that would be a really nice enemy. should be used sparingly as a "possessed revenant" though and not as a general replacement, as it would make wads using revenant hordes unplayable in places.

pritch said:

Yuck! [Archviles] Hate 'em :P

Then don't play any of the LA Spacestation survival coop maps with Archvile themes: those maps are only defeatable as a single player with enough patience and a reasonable strategy, or with multiple well-coordinated players.

But they can become a nighmare and easy material for coop trolling, as all it takes is ONE disruptive player to ruin your strategy, wake monsters prematurely, lure them in undefendable positions, push other players out of cover etc.

E.g. very easy way to troll a player hiding behind a pillar in coop: just SSG him in view of the archies. Or disregard any strategy/planning and wake up all of the map at once, shitting on your buddies' heads.

Pirx said:

that would be a really nice enemy. should be used sparingly as a "possessed revenant" though and not as a general replacement, as it would make wads using revenant hordes unplayable in places.

The opposite would also make sense: making some Lost Souls capable of "possessing" corpses, re-animating them as Revenants. That'd give the player an incentive not to leave LS behind or relying on them headbutting each other to death.

tourniquet said:

none..they're all essential....

While I totally agree, badly placed Chaingunners and Arch-Viles with NO COVER are a load of bullhonkey. I love them all though, if the person who makes the map knows what they're doing.

Cyberdemons? Okay, silent rockets sneaking up from a long distance are annoying, but Cyberdemons are nothing compared to Spider Masterminds, especially ones with no cover to hide behind! (see: every PWAD ever with a mastermind) Their shotgun-chaingun combo rips you up in seconds flat.

Maes said:

The opposite would also make sense: making some Lost Souls capable of "possessing" corpses, re-animating them as Revenants. That'd give the player an incentive not to leave LS behind or relying on them headbutting each other to death.

lovely. would a mod using these 2 be difficult to make? requires some scripting and animation frames. frames from the archvile resurrecting a revenant could be used after the soul flies into the corpse. the opposite, revenant falling and losing its skull which bursts into flames, is pretty straightforward.

and please just a low chance of this happening, perhaps 10% to keep it from getting tedious. and no cycle like revenant -> soul + zombie -> revenant and so on. if you don't want to troll the player ;)

@ this topic, why lost souls (and their mom the elemental) seem to get the most votes: meelee attacks are irritating because that skull gets literally in your face, is fast enough to get there, often blocking the way. it's a rather weak enemy, barely worth the ammo, but still drains your health... and it's even dumber than the rest of the cast.

the formula for annoying enemies seems to be: small, spawning, meelee, persistent. half-life's headcrabs come to mind. or those silly frogs and mosquitoes in romero's daikatana, i remember playing it in coop with a friend and we could barely see them in all that green, yet something kept biting us in the butt.

Doomkid92 said:

While I totally agree, badly placed Chaingunners and Arch-Viles with NO COVER are a load of bullhonkey. I love them all though, if the person who makes the map knows what they're doing.

Cyberdemons? Okay, silent rockets sneaking up from a long distance are annoying, but Cyberdemons are nothing compared to Spider Masterminds, especially ones with no cover to hide behind! (see: every PWAD ever with a mastermind) Their shotgun-chaingun combo rips you up in seconds flat.

as you say, it depends on the mapper. if a known mapper makes a level with viles or gunners and no cover, then i'm inclined to believe that's a trap for players who charge headlong to their doom, so there should be a solution:

use infighting,
look for a secret passage and avoid the trap,
sneak past it without waking them up with gunfire, find a megasphere / invuln / invis / bfg and kick their asses faster than they can kick yours...
something like that.

for example, plutonia map 5 or plutonia revisited map 3 have situations like this, courtyards and galleries where chaingunners and a spider kill you pretty instantly if you fumble around... yet these maps are playable.

or, after several tries, i find out that i'm wrong, and it's just a map with badly placed Chaingunners and Arch-Viles with NO COVER :p

Pain in the ass elemental. It's not enough that they spawn the second most annoying enemy in the game, they summon even more when they die. To be honest I would have liked pain elementals to have even just 50 or so hp less than cacodemons.

It's a real toss-up between revenants and chaingunners for me, but I think chaingunners are more annoying, especially when they snipe you from far off places and you have nowhere to take cover, or when they ambush you from the flank or rear.

Pain Elementals, Lost Souls and Revenants. I can deal with the other monsters, but those three are just a chore to deal with.

I have survived too many epic hell beasts hoard battles only to have a Revenants fire ball that I was just sooo sure I had out maneuvered silently sneak up behind me and melt my stupid face not to be sick of there shit.

I don't know what it is about those fire balls. they move just slow enough that they seem to be able to orbit me at just the right angle to catch me off guard. It doesn't help they Revenants seem to be every mappers BFF. Just gotta stick the bony shits everywhere don't you? Jerks.

If we are talking about playing some maps on fast monsters, then I would say chaingunners and spidermaster minds. When playing on fast monsters hit scan attacks are way more scary than anything else IMO.

For standard play, I would say archviles. Especially when they start raising a crowd of revenants that you just killed.

I'd say Chaingunners and Pain Elementals are the only two monsters in the Doom series that are objectively bad. Everything else is just a matter of enemy placement in maps. Having an Archvile coming after you every now and then is okay, but having the map throw you into a room full of them is not. Lost Souls would be better if they had less health and you could kill them with one normal shotgun blast like in the Midway Dooms.