Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xnv

Chain maps

There are tons of mapsets built by the power of community. But is there any single maps created that way? And I don't mean collaboration on developing one map by a few people, I'm talking about "chain" maps, i.e. there is a rule which states that mappers should use (for example) 1024x1024 grid and after some submissions all user-created rooms are combined in a single wad.
So, was there any project like this and how did it play out?

There have been some. Both ZDCMP maps were made this way, with each mapper building sequentially on what the previous mappers have made.

I vaguely remember a few projects where mappers had to make a single area and then they'd all be glued together, but I don't remember those coming to fruition.

I've played a few maps where they've been pieced together from multiple sections - they do work when a theme is observed and there are well-understood restrictions. Highly inconsistent ones happen when all the sections are made at the same time and then squished into place afterwards, but I think the idea has merit either. I'd be up for a limit-removing collaborative attempt!

Ah, Nova is cool but these part of maps are pretty separated (can't explain what I mean, but I guess it's understandable).
I will check out ZDCMP later as I played it long ago and remember almost nothing about it. By the way, is there any specifications for ZDCMP mappers?

Thing is, I am interested in piecing it together with some creative means, for example using teleporters allows to change set drastically and without them you should have some smooth transition of setting.

This probably is almost impossible without any specific restrictions, but hey, this could be interesting anyway.

Hell's Eventide comes to mind made by three author's I think, including Wildman and Travers Dunne. It's worth checking out though there are no fancy ZDoom features. I would link to it but I am on my phone which is a bitch to use. Actually, I just read more into what you just said and it doesn't really fit the bill of "limits".

Another one that comes to mind is Exquisite Corpse, which saw several mappers each making a 1024x1024 section of a map before the results were all sewn together. The catch here was that each mapper was only allowed to see small parts of the sections that were to border on their own, so the result is extremely patchwork, to say the least. A very interesting WAD, nonetheless.

I think Katamori tried starting a project where each there would be a large square map, then each mapper would have their own "plot" and the result would be a full "city" of maps. It didn't take off, but I'll try and hunt down the thread.

EDIT: a-ha!