Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Technician

Sha-really?

Sharia Law to be enshrined in British legal system as lawyers get guidelines on drawing up documents according to Islamic rules

The male heirs in most cases receive double the amount inherited by a female heir of the same class. Non-Muslims may not inherit at all, and only Muslim marriages are recognised.

Similarly, a divorced spouse is no longer a Sharia heir, as the entitlement depends on a valid Muslim marriage existing at the date of death.

OK this isn't extreme like creating no alcoholic zones and dress codes, but this is opening up a two-tier system that works against the best interests of Muslims and non-Muslims in a non-Islamic country. It's not troubling to the non-Muslim population (as long as you don't marry a Muslim), but it's creating two separate laws for a specific group of people, thus segregating.

Personally I can't bend when striving for a secular system and then catering to a religion. This is Sweden-tier bullshit but I've been seeing the U.K. pull many boners this past year.

Seriously, fuck Sharia law and anyone who supports it. But isn't this a misleading headline? These seem to be how-to guides on Shari-compliant wills, not anything to do with laws.

Is Britain's constitution so weak it lets this bullshit fly? It wouldn't fly in mainland Europe (at least the general zone around Germany which I belong to) exactly on that basis - constitution forbids inequality. Good luck to Scotland getting the fuck out of Britain.

And then they wonder why all of a sudden Breivik-types appear...

AndrewB said:

Seriously, fuck Sharia law and anyone who supports it. But isn't this a misleading headline? These seem to be how-to guides on Shari-compliant wills, not anything to do with laws.

This.

Clonehunter said:

My Uncle is a Muslim and his wife is a Catholic.

WHAT. NOW.

Doesn't sound like he's a Muslim, tbh.

Mr. Freeze said:

Doesn't sound like he's a Muslim, tbh.

Well, he is very against his daughter dating/getting with a non-muslim guy, so, I dunno.

They haven't changed anything. Lawyers already could, and probably often did, create sharia-compliant documents when needed. Now they just all get guidelines in case they don't feel like booting religious nutters out at first sight.

Those documents would be useful to do exactly the reverse of what they suggest.

dew said:

Is Britain's constitution so weak it lets this bullshit fly?

There is no written British constitution. It's basically a "gentleman's agreement" interpreted however you like, sort of passed down through the generations in the ever shifting laws of this country. Frankly it's a stupid way of doing things, but I suppose having written rules doesn't stop deliberate misinterpretation if the States or organised religion is anything to go by.