Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sharessa

New Hubbley Goodness

Heh. I'm probably in some kind of a manic mood, but I'm having a lot of fun picking out odd faces and such in this pic:

New Hubble Pic

Beautiful picture...the wonders of the universe always amaze me. That's what I get for being a sci-fi freak.

awesome.....

wait a minute, is that a cacodemon near the upper right corner?

That is awesome. Somebody should attempt to make a sky texture out of that.

There already is one similar to that; it's on a file called "tod.wad". Pretty neat looking if you ask me.

Submerge said:

That is awesome. Somebody should attempt to make a sky texture out of that.

Done deal.

Hey, Lüt, new sky.

EllipsusD said:

Welcome to Xen.

Xen rules. The best chapters in HL by far save Nihilanth.

HAhahahHAHAHahhaHAhaha XEN Hahahah GOOD AhaHahhaHAh

Xen was THE set of levels that ruined the concept of "jumping puzzles" for most gamers. Xen would have been cool if it wasn't because of the lame enemies, the horrible textures, the humanesque architecture and the whole industrial turned alien setting.

Zaldron said:

HAhahahHAHAHahhaHAhaha XEN Hahahah GOOD AhaHahhaHAh

Xen was THE set of levels that ruined the concept of "jumping puzzles" for most gamers. Xen would have been cool if it wasn't because of the lame enemies, the horrible textures, the humanesque architecture and the whole industrial turned alien setting.

The entire game had lame enemies and mediocre/horrible textures. By the time I got to Xen I wasn't expecting it not to. I liked Xen compared to the rest of the game because it provided something remotely unique and interesting. I could look at some parts of Xen (particularly in interloper) and say 'hey that's kinda neat'. Whereas in HL's retarded mile-long gray base I was just kinda like 'kill me now'. Xen was the only real memorable part of HL's adventure - the base was INSTANTLY forgettable.

As for the jumping puzzles, they were hardly puzzles. I mean, come the fuck on, were they that hard to make? I easily made the xen jumps my first time and I would've made the interloper jumps equally easy if it weren't for the alien controllers flying around.

I personally didn't like those levels, if the whole game was like that, no one would have bought it.

It's not that they were hard (the jumping puzzles I mean). Have you played in the Hard setting? I don't need aliens with railguns when I'm jumping from spire to spire. I don't need big-headed things that chase me while I'm trying to jump from some stupid asteroid to another.

You never liked HL's survival theme from the base level. That's fine but you gotta realize that cause I absolutely LOVED those levels reeking with realistic architecture and the whole "it's turning into shit" feeling as the aliens keep screwing up stuff and the Government jumps into the picture, as soon as I got to Xen the game CHANGED. It went from a survival horror game to an older formula, from around the Quake 1 days, that while I liked back in the day, felt totally out of place. It was a dissapointment.

Xen had some nice sky textures... and when you visited there in OpFor, it was actually kind of calming. But the first few levels of Half-Life are the ones that I enjoyed the most. After a while it got kind of old, but I love running through the lounge-like areas... it gave you the feeling of completely abiguity in location and time. I've been in certain installations before, and I got the same feeling as in the game.

Liam the Bard said:

Xen rules. The best chapters in HL by far save Nihilanth.

Wow. It's amazing how everything you say about Half-Life is actualy the complete opposite of reality.

Zaldron said:

You never liked HL's survival theme from the base level. That's fine but you gotta realize that cause I absolutely LOVED those levels reeking with realistic architecture and the whole "it's turning into shit" feeling as the aliens keep screwing up stuff and the Government jumps into the picture, as soon as I got to Xen the game CHANGED. It went from a survival horror game to an older formula, from around the Quake 1 days, that while I liked back in the day, felt totally out of place. It was a dissapointment.

Actually I felt a stronger sense of 'survival' and identity with Gordon in Xen than in the base. Gordon works in the base. He goes there every day. When I got to Xen for the first time, it was like 'holy shit, what's this, what am I gonna do now, omg omg omg omg', you know? And when I first saw that gigantic portal, and I just knew it lead to the last boss, it gave you that whole 'this is it, the home stretch, the last battle' feeling. If I got trapped in my school and it got filled with aliens and started falling apart, I'd feel a lot more comfortable trying to escape from it then I would trying to battle my way through an alien world.

I'll admit I need to play HL again seeing as how 95% of the time in my first time through I was bitching about the goddamn gay camoflauged drone gun that kept killing me in 2 seconds or how I was just killed instantly by stepping in a suspicous puddle of water or something.

Fuck, am I the only person who's never played half-life?

Grandson (4) plays it but he never gets past reception area, he just keeps going up to people and asking question, so they reply, then reply brusque, then get hot under collar, you know what I mean, he just wanders around there poking everyone and laughing his head off :)

Liam jabbered:
I was just killed instantly by stepping in a suspicous puddle of water or something.

Water + electricity = pain.

fodders said:

Grandson (4) plays it but he never gets past reception area, he just keeps going up to people and asking question, so they reply, then reply brusque, then get hot under collar, you know what I mean, he just wanders around there poking everyone and laughing his head off :)

Heh. Even I do that. Actualy, I used to make little boxy rooms, fill them with scientists, and just listen to them chat. It can be pretty funny sometimes, especialy if you tag some as 'pre-experiment' and some 'post-experiment'. Its like watching a growing sense of paranoia.

Archvile64 said:

You ain't alone brotha ;)

the_Danarchist said:

Water + electricity = pain.

You damn well know what I mean.

Harumph, I don't need anybody who spells originally with two Os telling me that water conducts electricity =)

Liam the Bard said:

He goes there every day. When I got to Xen for the first time, it was like 'holy shit, what's this, what am I gonna do now, omg omg omg omg', you know?

Actually it was his first day at the complex. Poor guy ^_^

Anyway I didn't liked the Xen because I wasn't like "omg what this?", I was more like "ooh a barrel factory, oh wait there's soldiers inside! oh they killed me, oh what a stupid conveyor belt, oh no more big giant heads". Xen was so explicit it felt like a very cheapo B movie. I liked the first part, with the weird glowing plants and the "butterflies", but after that it just got stupid.

the_Danarchist said:

Heh. I'm probably in some kind of a manic mood, but I'm having a lot of fun picking out odd faces and such in this pic:

looks nice

Doom-Child said:

I think I see Ralph Nader!

I may respect him and all with some of the stuff he did for the country (e.g., more sterile food packaging), but.....seeing him in the stars....*Shudders*

Archvile64 said:

Heh, not at all.

I will one of these years though.