Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Glaice

Having fun with the Doom 64 soundfont

For those who have played Doom64 EX, the utility before playing creates the WAD file and DOOMSND.SF2, which is the soundfont AND contains the sound effects for everything in the game.

However, I have been toying with the original MIDI files and using the eerie soundfont with it inside SynthFont to see how some of the Doom and Doom 2 tunes sound with a darker mood. Some came off as pretty good while some were subpar or meh in comparison.

There is no dedicated drumkit instrument in the soundfont so any drums I had to improvise with what was the closest, thus some drum sections may sound "off". I also had to increase the volume on all of them because the average file produced was quite soft.

Here are my experiment results so far:

E1M1
E1M2
E1M3
E1M5
E1M6
E1M7
E1M8
E2M4
E2M6 -First rendition, second sounded like crap with continuing strings.
D_INTER
D_RUNNIN
D_COUNTD

New as of 3/31/14:

D_E1M3 v2
D_E2M1
D_E2M7 - I'm really proud of the results on this one.
D_E2M8
D_E3M2
D_E3M8
D_AMPIE
D_ROMERO
As a little bonus, Jimmy Paddock's "Strength in Numbers"

Edit: Added D_COUNTD

Edit 2: Added several more, including 1 non-id song

If a normal drumkit would be inserted into the SF2, it would help a lot on all the percussion in the levels.

Quasar said:

This is an experimental twelve-tone composition I did a few years ago, reworked to use Doom 64 patches (and some timpani as it has none).

http://eternity.mancubus.net/stuff/joreq.ogg

Kind of remind me of Dune II's music, somehow. (Specifically, dune3.mid from here or dune2039 from there.)

The volume balance is really wack. A lot of instruments overpower others and are pretty much inaudible. E1M6, E1M7, E1M8, E2M4, and E2M6 are really the only ones that sound good. Sort of Silent Hill's 'OH GOD UGLY MUSIC BAD IN EARS SCARY ME' kind of feel as opposed to Aubrey's 'ELDRITCH BAD LAND SPOOKY'-ness.
And then I listened to these recordings with Audacity, and holy shit do they have some really weird-looking waveforms.

It was hard finding proper equalivent instruments as the bigger ones are droning, strings, various noises and some drum+string/etc on a few presents. Everything past preset 55 or so is the actual sound effects for the weapons/monsters/doors/etc so they were useless for song usage.

There was absolutely no bass or guitar presets, and wind/brass was extremely limited. The brass I found was a trumpet, which I assume is used in the intro.

i feel the songs would sound a lot better if there wasn't percussion going on throughout the entirety of the song. say, E1M3 and E1M7 i think would sound more interesting if the percussion would be removed, at least the stuff that is going on constantly and ugh it doesn't work at all. i don't remember any of Aubrey's Doom music having percussion in it this way.

they're interesting experiments, though. i guess i can't blame on how it sounds like because of how different the two games musical style are.

Dammit, Xaser had a video related to this around here somewhere. Twas a mastery of all things aural, it was.

Shadow Hog said:

Funny, I decided to go the other direction with Doom 64 EX's soundfont

I found your forgetfulness of the existence of the chainsaw very amusing :]

I barely even heard the difference, PC is so ingrained by this point.

Gonna add several more songs later, including rerenditions without percussion.

Additions added to first post.

Personally, I want to see someone remix the songs that were not included in 3DO Doom in the style of said version. Using the same synths, drum machines, guitar style, everything. That would be awesome. I'd pay to hear the intermission music in that style.