Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MegaTurtleRex

Favourite FPS of the last generation?

I know PC crowds don't follow the console determined generations but I'm curious what Doom people have enjoyed playing over this (pretty damn long) period. The 7th generation is roughly 2005-2013 with some crossovers for 2014... that's nearly 9 years.

I tend to like Prey. It's a very pretty game with a lot of aesthetic value all-round. There are no heavily scripted areas that ruin the pacing (horrible trend! Call of Duty and Homefront are some of the worst offenders). Level design is mostly linear but very pretty and strange. I'm replaying it right now and I'm impressed with how well everything scales, it really is a pretty game.

Look at the colours, they made really cool use of colours throughout the game :3

Serious Sam 3. No contest. If we went a bit earlier I would have a hard time picking between it and Doom 3, but with the rough estimates from the OP Serious Sam 3 is the only choice for me. Nothing else even compared.

Mike.Reiner said:

I'm going to have to say Borderlands for me.

Also this thread probably belongs in 'everything else', it doesn't have anything to do with Doom.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/everything-else/

I thought it might be ok here because some of the Doom series releases in this period, even the Doom 2 that comes with BFG. But I don't mind if people want it moved.

Serious Sam 3 is definitely fun, I haven't finished it yet so I don't know if the quality holds up or gets better. I've never liked those skeleton running things, but in SS3 you can grab their heads and rip them off :)

Borderlands 2 feels like a massive improvement from the original for me but I find quest\errand RPG systems really off-putting. Other than that though they really improved the gameplay, in the original enemies had a really annoying jiggy jiggy dance. I gotta get back to playing this but my backlog is huge now :\

MegaTurtleRex said:

Serious Sam 3 is definitely fun, I haven't finished it yet so I don't know if the quality holds up or gets better. I've never liked those skeleton running things, but in SS3 you can grab their heads and rip them off :)

Yeah the skeletons are especially assholish in 3, because you can hardly hear them anymore and they hit like a truck. As for quality, in my opinion the last level, despite being amazing gameplay-wise, doesn't quite work visually (it's a canyon, and there's way too strong a disparity between the lit bits on top and the rest of it which is in shadow, so with the auto-adjusting brightness, if you look into the shaded areas where everyone and everything is, the top bits are blindingly white, and if you look slightly up, everything in the shadow becomes pitch black almost), and the last boss is a definite miss because they add a whole new mechanic for the battle which you initially have absolutely no indication of even being available. But when you know what to do it becomes real fun too. Apart from these issues of the last level (fuckin' amazing music though), I think pretty much the entirety of SS3 is brilliant. The DLC is nice too.

I'd say either Duke Nukem Forever (*prepares to be thrown rocks at*) or Bioshock Infinite. Tough pick.

I liked Prey. Some of the stuff in it felt more Doom than Doom3. More skinmet!

And Serious Sam First Encounter is fun. Should try to play through the Second Encounter too. So far I've only played the first "episode" of the SE.

MFG38 said:

I'd say either Duke Nukem Forever (*prepares to be thrown rocks at*) or Bioshock Infinite. Tough pick.

I'll throw more rocks at you for BI than for DNF. I freaking hated BI and was only apathetic towards DNF.

Early-era TF2, where the balance was pretty impeccable and the game seemed more fun. Not so sure about current TF2 - I can still have fun with it now and then, but the magic's kind of gone nowadays. I don't know if it's because of all the game's changes, or if my tastes changed, or what.

I dont tend to play newer games more than once but games that I enjoyed on some level were resistance trilogy, call of duties, tf2, l4d1-2 + other games I just cant remember now

Definitely RAGE.

I actually consider it the best single-player FPS I have played in my life. It is a story-driven FPS (yes, I prefer it to "solve yet another level full of puzzles" type of gaming), but it has no cut-scenes so I can actually PLAY my game instead of watching it. The gunplay is awesome and the enemies' falling mechanics feel really rewarding. I beat the game around 3 times even though, objectively, the replay value is nowhere near as good as in Doom, but that's how much I enjoyed it.

Most FPSes I've played between 2005 and 2013 didn't interest me. Prey was very fun, though, as was the first Resistance: Fall of Man game.

But I'd say my favorite is a tossup between Serious Sam 3 and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon.

I'd have to say the Fear series. I haven't played many FPS games from this generation. Borderlands 1 & 2 would be my second/third choices.

I got a lot of mileage out of Left 4 Dead - probably a few hundred hours. TF2 was my favorite before all the nonsense with loadouts and hats. I've really been getting into STALKER and it's quickly becoming my favorite... all I need is the time to play it.

I guess RAGE was my favorite FPS from the last generation of consoles.

Technician said:

The last FPS I bought was Quake 4.

Same here, if we're talking about computer FPS. I thought it was about twice as good as Doom 3 honestly. But when Doom 3 came out it was fairly mindblowing. It was only about halfway through the game the nausea kicked in. Quake 4 was pretty colorful the whole way through as long as the linearity didn't kill you first.

yukib1t said:

first Resistance: Fall of Man game.

Yeah that was my favorite FPS for the PS3. You actually had (sort of) non-regenerating health and you carried around a fuck ton of different guns for all sorts of situations. I bought the sequel but it was mostly a disappointment. I didn't have the heart to shell out cash for the third game. I heard it was better than #2.

I think I rented RAGE but lord that was boring from the get-go. I turned it off after the completing the first act. My roommate made it to act three or something.

I found Doom 3 much better than the two lookalikes (Q4 and Prey), personally. In terms of atmosphere and gameplay both, certainly. Q4 was really dull and Prey just felt like a big mess with occasional awesome setpieces.

Can't believe I forgot about the Stalker series, and I suppose also the Metro series, but still I haven't enjoyed them quite as much as SS3. RAGE though? Even though I beat it and had fun, I really can't play that game properly. For some reason I just absolutely suck at it, worse than any shooter I know. As soon as I show my face from behind cover, enemies decimate me in sheer seconds. I can absolutely not comprehend how it could be played like a normal shooter, a sort of run-n-gun style instead of camping and exploiting holes in geometry and stuff. Perhaps I could've lowered my difficulty level, but still...

Antroid said:

I found Doom 3 much better than the two lookalikes (Q4 and Prey), personally. In terms of atmosphere and gameplay both, certainly. Q4 was really dull and Prey just felt like a big mess with occasional awesome setpieces.

Can't believe I forgot about the Stalker series, and I suppose also the Metro series, but still I haven't enjoyed them quite as much as SS3. RAGE though? Even though I beat it and had fun, I really can't play that game properly. For some reason I just absolutely suck at it, worse than any shooter I know. As soon as I show my face from behind cover, enemies decimate me in sheer seconds. I can absolutely not comprehend how it could be played like a normal shooter, a sort of run-n-gun style instead of camping and exploiting holes in geometry and stuff. Perhaps I could've lowered my difficulty level, but still...

'

In my opinion, I had a lot more fun playing RAGE than Doom 3.

Jimi said:

I liked Prey. Some of the stuff in it felt more Doom than Doom3. More skinmet!

And Serious Sam First Encounter is fun. Should try to play through the Second Encounter too. So far I've only played the first "episode" of the SE.

another like for rage and for prey. that ugly biomechanical design and icky stuff in prey. so doom-ish. as i see, most doomers prefer that old school run and gun play vs demons & aliens.

f.e.a.r., i mean the first game. the sequels had that annoying trait of console ports, namely that "floaty" mouse feel, something pretty obvious when you're used the super responsive mouse in id games. i don't know what they're doing with the input in some newer games, it can't be that hard to make it more responsive, compared to all graphical bells and whistles.

Pirx said:

as i see, most doomers prefer that old school run and gun play vs demons & aliens.

I do like arcade shooters and I like the tenser ones like D3, but as for what Doom should be like, I am a firm believer that Doom should be much more like Doom 3 than Serious Sam. If Doom 3 was like SS, or like Painkiller, I would've hated it soooo much.

Prey, Borderlands, Left 4 Dead and Fallout 3/NV in no particular order.

Max Payne 3, though it's only an FPS if you happen to do a shoot dodge towards the camera, in which case when he's on the ground you have a near perfect FPS perspective. Makes shooting things fun too.