Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phobus

The Crusade Against Social Injustice

MegaTurtleRex said:

I find no reason why she couldn't do hard physical work if she wanted to.

Gender notwithstanding, gym strength doesn't necessarily imply you're going to be good at hard physical work. I was tasked with moving my mum's fridge the other day, and I found it substantially more difficult than moving a perfectly balanced barbell with a comfortable grip from A to B, despite it weighing substantially less than said barbell. If I wanted to get better at moving fridges, I'd have to move more fridges.

Come to think of it, I'm sure the reason why first world, 21st century women have a tendency to avoid doing manual labour for a living is that they have the smarts to relegate the task to men. :p

MegaTurtleRex said:

Yeah I forgot about that. The women used to work naked with the children for some reason, you can imagine the bruising and scrapes that would get on you and there was some kind of public shaming or ostracization as a result too.

Yeah, that's got to be a major turn-on for you and many others I imagine.

MegaTurtleRex said:

The women used to work naked with the children for some reason

Now this sounds like bullshit though.

I vaguely remembered it from one of my history subjects, this was during my first year so I am not 100% sure but I think in one case parents of young girls shaved their heads and made them walk around topless so they would be assumed to be boys and not get raped by the male miners.

Google has a bit on it now that I look though:

http://www.historyextra.com/feature/scandal-female-miners-19th-century-britain

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/1842womenminers.asp

DoomUK said:

Gender notwithstanding, gym strength doesn't necessarily imply you're going to be good at hard physical work. I was tasked with moving my mum's fridge the other day, and I found it substantially more difficult than moving a perfectly balanced barbell with a comfortable grip from A to B, despite it weighing substantially less than said barbell. If I wanted to get better at moving fridges, I'd have to move more fridges.

Come to think of it, I'm sure the reason why first world, 21st century women have a tendency to avoid doing manual labour for a living is that they have the smarts to relegate the task to men. :p

Full body lifts (e.g. double clean and press with dumbbells or Turkish getup) will build up your overall strength very well.