Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kells0n

Question regarding wad content

Hello everyone, this is my first post here so I'll try not to sound like a real noob.

I'm making a total conversion wad for Doom, including new maps, custom sounds, music and enemies. Most of the enemies I have downloaded from Realm667 (either using the monster sprite or then just the complete monster along with Decorate etc.), which made me think of few things..

1) Is it allowed for me to upload my wad here when it contains custom stuff made by R667 users? I believe this is allowed as long as I credit the correct people.
2) I have some mp3/ogg custom music in my wad. Is the wad allowed to contain it, if it's from other video games, like Quake 2 and Doom 3DO port? Is music from movie soundtracks allowed?

Well, I think that's it for now. If anything comes up I'll be posting again. Thanks in advance!

Rules are here: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=31922

11. What will be rejected?

Uploads with long filenames (more than 8 characters).
Warez copies of anything.
Junk in ZIP files.
Uploads with no text file included.
Anything not related to any Doom engine games (like a modification for Quake 3).
Any SLIGE/OBLIGE levels.
WADs with resources used without permission (though these might slip through; if someone complains, the file may be removed).
MP3s/OGGs in WADs, unless it can be verified that the creation is original, and ideally is intended for the specific WAD file.
Copyrighted sound clips of Disney, Beavis and Butthead, etc.
Unmodified parts of any IWAD.
"Demo" WADs that are not playable in their own right (other than editing examples).
Modified id Software levels.
Trademarked or copyrighted symbols.
Files over 50MB in size.
Any other questionable things.

Though it seems that this rarely gets checked against recently. You can either upload it to /idgames, or mediafire. One or the other, really.

The Realm667 stuff should be fine so long as it's appropriately credited in your text file, the movie and video game music might be a problem.

When in doubt, start by uploading to a decent file sharing site (MediaFire works for me) and post a link in the forums for testing. A couple of dozen pairs of eyes and ears should spot any contentious content fairly quickly, and once that's sorted you can consider uploading to the archive.

Thanks a lot for your replies, guys! Mainly the deal with the music is bothering me as there are Doom wads out there that contain Quake 2 music for example, and also midis from films. Also there's Aliens, Ghostbusters and Batman mods for Doom.

I think I'll just do as you instructed and upload my wad to MediaFire or something.

kells0n said:

Thanks a lot for your replies, guys! Mainly the deal with the music is bothering me as there are Doom wads out there that contain Quake 2 music for example, and also midis from films. Also there's Aliens, Ghostbusters and Batman mods for Doom.

I think I'll just do as you instructed and upload my wad to MediaFire or something.

True, but the majority of those mods were done in tribute, and credits are given.

Though Ghostbusters and Aliens doom total conversions (or episodic conversions) were around before anyone paid any real heed to the whole copyright bits.

Mediafire is a decent example. I'd recommend a cloud storage service like Dropbox too for easier file management, and it doesn't have any weird "This file must be downloaded X amount of times or it will be deleted." rules.

I should avoid intoxication and forums. I start to feel like I'm in an active conversation, but speaking in slow motion.