Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sqrrt121

Is there a multiplayer client for Blood or Shadow Warrior?

So, I was wondering, is there a multiplayer client for Blood or Shadow Warrior? I really want to find another game like Doom with the huge modding and multiplayer community.

I believe the Shadow Warrior community uses SWP ("Shadow Warrior Port"). Read about it here:

http://www.proasm.com/sw/swp.html

I also believe a multiplayer component is being worked on for "Shadow Warrior Classic Redux" (released not so long ago on Steam), but I wouldn't really count on it for now. First of all, nothing specific has been said about its release so it might as well be in 1-2 years. Second of all, it will more than likely be based on Duke Nukem Megaton Edition's multiplayer component, which uses peer to peer instead of client/server architecture. This usually means that if one player's connection is flawed everyone on the server will suffer.

For now, check SWP as I haven't really done any research on it, but I stumbled upon it during my recent Shadow Warrior single player playthrough when I was looking for info on secrets etc.

EDIT:

Here's what I found on Shadow Warrior's steam forum:

Shadow warrior is fully playable online with currently 3 launchers, Meltdown, Yang and dukematcher. Can play original dos SW and ports like SWP... Multi will come to steam in time

XCOPY said:

Although the whole peer to peer method is often looked down by most players, Megaton edition has multiplayer p2p code done right, expect the same about Shadow Warrior.

Trust me, high latency is viable there (I often get 200-250ms to anywhere in the world and the game feels like as if I am playing over LAN for the most part)

I don't have to trust you - I did my share of deathmatching in Megaton Edition and I agree that its p2p system is as good as they come. Still, I had some issues (i.e. not being able to connect AT ALL to another player due to latency). However, I had played it back when it was still beta and the mode saw its official release since then, so I assume a lot of stuff has been tweaked.

It is only a matter of time before they implement it. They just put in multiplayer for Megaton Edition.

Probably the worst thing about finding a multiplayer client is that I live in New Zealand (next to Australia) which means I don't really find much people.

Sqrrt121 said:

So, I was wondering, is there a multiplayer client for Blood or Shadow Warrior? I really want to find another game like Doom with the huge modding and multiplayer community.

If you're into mystical things like elves and enchanted scepters then just install Heretic II.
It has tons of modding, particularly of maps, textures, and skins.
It comes with a GameSpyLite utility which shows at least 4 active servers every single night.
Oh and yes, people do come to play. Mostly on the weekend evenings. But if nobody is around during your connection then the bots will keep you company, and trust me, those bots can be quite tough and ruthless.
So yeah, you'll have quite some fun.

Not regarding 3rd person applications
I think there were some pay to play services for blood(not sure about shadow warrior but I think it did use the Ten service) like Dwango, Rtime, Heat, Ten. Although the Multiplayer never really interested me so i'm not sure if these are pay to play but I vaguely remember about a payment option.

Maybe Blood will have a release similar to Shadow Warrior Redux and DUke Nukem Megaton Edition. Blood is still sold on GoG.com, so it didn't fall into abandonware hell or anything it seems.

Whenever I attempt to play Megaton edition co-op with one of my friends who lives in the same city, it always goes out of sync within about 10 or 15 minutes of playing.

I know that peer-to-peer is hardly ideal over networks with latency, and that it would probably be quite a piece of work to overhaul the engine for client/server, but it's not an enjoyable experience once the desync kicks in.