Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linkrulezall

Doom on Oculus Rift

This was just a thought I had. What would it be like to play doom and have it feel like you're really in the game (or something)? Not to mention all the wads I'd like to play in first person. Come on, you can't say that you never ever wanted to have a TRUE URBAN BRAWL EXPERIENCE. (provided the Oculus Rift doesn't give you too much eye cancer from prolonged viewing)

So what do you guys think? Would this be kinda cool for 5 minutes like everything else I've seen on the Oculus Rift?

If you have the hardware then why not try it for yourself? Doomsday supports Oculus Rift (and various other forms of stereoscopic 3D). Sadly I don't have the devkit myself, so I can't offer any feedback on the user experience. Still, I expect its pretty cool to play a game as old as DOOM in such a thoroughly modern way :)

There's a version of GZDoom out there with support for it. I have a devkit, and tried GZ3Doom with it, it's pretty good. One thing I noticed is that the gravity felt way too damn fast, and the running speed is a bit odd too. Making gravity and the player speed half as fast feels a lot better when playing with the Rift.

Unfortunately, GZ3Doom uses square pixels in the world, so that makes the player speed feel even faster, and of course looks squished. Regular GZDoom does apply aspect ratio correction, but only on the screen projection and not the actual vertical space in 3D. I told Graf about this years ago, and he even acknowledged it should be done in 3D space rather than the screen projection, but he clearly doesn't care to fix it.

I haven't yet tried the latest JDoom with it, but I'll give you guys a report on how it feels when I do.

Too bad that Facebook bought it to use it to "talk with friends online"

*facepalm*

Hasn't anyone heard of a webcam or even a IM?

I don't think the Facebook buyout is as bad as it seems. Of course, we'll have to wait and see how it plays out once the consumer version is released, but it seems that Zuckerberg wants Facebook to be one of the things that you can optionally use the Rift with, not that the Rift is mandatorily something to use Facebook with.

I'm sure at least the first few versions won't require FB logins or any snooping. Even then, Oculus has already served its purpose; to convince the rest of the industry that VR is truly ready this time. I frankly don't give a shit what happens to them at this point, so long as others can carry the torch if anything bad happens.

Not happening. Back when the Rift was brand new, there were plans for supporting it, but then the design spec changed before Doom 3 BFG Edition was released, and the feature was cut. Then Carmack later revealed that one of the reasons he left id was that Zenimax wasn't too keen on VR.

Fortunately, since BFG's source was opened, fans managed to hack in support for Dev Kit 1.

This reminds me of a project years ago called AR Quake where there was a blend of the real world and the Quake world. Here are some pictures.

Doominator2 said:

This image is funnier when you notice the clipping error and the Shambler looks like he's tiny and dancing on top of the gun.

My dream is to wander gravity.wad MAP02 in VR.

Sodaholic said:

Unfortunately, GZ3Doom uses square pixels in the world, so that makes the player speed feel even faster, and of course looks squished. Regular GZDoom does apply aspect ratio correction, but only on the screen projection and not the actual vertical space in 3D. I told Graf about this years ago, and he even acknowledged it should be done in 3D space rather than the screen projection, but he clearly doesn't care to fix it.

I just fixed the aspect ratio problem in the latest version of GZ3Doom (version 1.8.6_d).

Even with the correct aspect ratio, I still recommend turning down the player speed, for a more comfortable experience in the Oculus Rift.

Tylerisepic1 said:

Too bad that Facebook bought it to use it to "talk with friends online"

I don't get it, what's so cool about "seeing" your friends if everybody is gonna look like this?

And I who thought that this whole "welcome to the Cyber World" look was dead and buried by the mid 90s....Might as well go full retro:

I'm guessing some high exec at Facebook just read Neal Stephenson's... uhhh, that novel where there's a ninja dude and a cyberspace filled with shops, and his eyes went dollar signs thinking at the ad prospects. So now they're trying to build Second Life again, and you'll get to see your friends like this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-pcq-Xv5og4U/Ufdn9pgQvBI/AAAAAAADU9g/ypKecO0oM5Y/s1600/8-Snapshot_013.jpg

Carmack coded support for occulus rift back in the 90s. So vanilla Doom is already supported. That guy had everything planned.

If you look closely, you can see the entire source code for Doom 4 hidden away in shareware Doom. That man is a genius.

I have a hunch the Facebook buyout of Oculus Rift is going to be used to snoop even further into peoples lives. I'm sure the NSA would love to have your house and surroundings captured on video. Your face and voice would be a nice bonous too.

I could imagine the size of a single pixel if Doom was run through its own executable (limited to the 320x200 resolution) on the thing.

RUSH said:

I have a hunch the Facebook buyout of Oculus Rift is going to be used to snoop even further into peoples lives. I'm sure the NSA would love to have your house and surroundings captured on video. Your face and voice would be a nice bonous too.

And how will the Oculus perform any of that stuff? Does it include a forwards-pointing camera and mike by default?

I remember similar concerns being raised about the Xbox One and the Kinekt (which at least both include a camera, and, the Xbox One, also a mike), to which none explained me (in a convincing manner) why they would be more dangerous than the DOZENS OF MILLIONS of webcams and mikes already installed for DECADES on the average home PCs (ripe with spyware...) or the hundreds of millions already in use on cell phones and smartphones? And last by not least, the billions of selflessly and willingly uploaded "selfies" or vanity photos on faceshit, crapper etc.

It doesn't have those features now but it eventually could. Xbox One, Google Glass etc. it's all connected to the same corporations. I don't trust them.

RUSH said:

It doesn't have those features now but it eventually could. Xbox One, Google Glass etc. it's all connected to the same corporations. I don't trust them.

Yeah, because the webcam software itself, written by some unknown chinese sweatshop, is 100% certain not to covertly make your computer part a botnet, and is also running on a completely secure OS made by a corporation which selflessly develops software just for fun and could never have the slightest interest in its customer's private data.

My point is, it's a bit late to worry about privacy and "sticking it to The Man" now, when The Man pretty much already owns your good citizen's ass.

Yeah, I never got the whole concern with "they're looking into our lives!" - If people are that concerned about what a camera picks up, they shouldn't even have a Facebook account or anything similar. Also just cover up the lens with electrical tape if it's that much of a concern, and bam, no more big brother watching us smoke our illegal weeds. (He's still there and he still owns us all no matter how many cameras we tape up, at the end of the day. Might as well at least have fun in the meantime.)

Doomkid92 said:

Also just cover up the lens with electrical tape if it's that much of a concern, and bam, no more big brother watching us smoke our illegal weeds.

Why even buy a camera at all? Use the money you saved to buy some extra illegal weeds or get some hooker to give you a blowjob, instead ;-)

Doomkid92 said:

Yeah, I never got the whole concern with "they're looking into our lives!" - If people are that concerned about what a camera picks up, they shouldn't even have a Facebook account or anything similar. Also just cover up the lens with electrical tape if it's that much of a concern, and bam, no more big brother watching us smoke our illegal weeds. (He's still there and he still owns us all no matter how many cameras we tape up, at the end of the day. Might as well at least have fun in the meantime.)

I don't have a Facebook account, and I DO cover all lenses with duct tape O_o

Maes said:

Why even buy a camera at all? Use the money you saved to buy some extra illegal weeds or get some hooker to give you a blowjob, instead ;-)

Getting a laptop or a smartphone without a frontfacing cam? Increasingly difficult task.

dew said:

Getting a laptop or a smartphone without a frontfacing cam? Increasingly difficult task.

Then don't get a laptop and/or a smartphone :-p

Let alone that you can simply disable/not install the webcam's drivers in the Device Manager...

Superluigieth1 said:

reaction shot

I don't think you realize that DoomKid was just kidding. Look at the post above his, which is also sarcastic.

Wait; some people around here already ordered the Oculus Rift and have it at home?! Or alterntively, they have played with a prototype demo? In any case, how does it work? Are the games made for it stereoscopic? Is it physically compatible with traditional computer monitor games? Is peripheral/panoramic vision a plus? Such as if someone re-implemented Doom with 90-degree left and right vision, it would be a good addition for Oculus Rift?