Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TendaMonsta

BEX file producing All-ghost bug

Apparently your BEX file increases firing speed of various hitscan weapons. That probably also increases the probability that an Intercept overflow will occur.

I'm not sure though, I thought Boom engine fixed the intercepts bug. But it still allows an emulation, you can find it somewhere in the options of PrBoom-plus or whichever port you're using. Which port are you using?

By the way, I'll share a couple thoughts about the BEX mod: (I assume it's your work?)

• Due to long delays between shots, the shotgun and rocket launcher are really uncomfortable to use.
  • Animation of the pistol and chaingun could have been improved, because as the sprites looks now and the durations are set up, it's not very fluent. I would even say it feels unnatural due to the durations themselves.
  • I don't see how prolonged pain states of monsters add to the gameplay value anyhow. Maybe I see why you thought it does - more time and strategizing to prepare your attacks - but I don't personally agree it's a good thing.
  • Each time you shorten a monster's walking frame durations, you make the monster more aggressive because the Chase function will be called more frequently per second. I think you really exaggerated it with Lost Souls and Pain Elementals and many other as well.
  • Permanent blood and fuzzy Knights are quite interesting working ideas. However I recommend making the blood disappear after a 20 seconds or so, to clean the mess. The engine isn't happy when it has to handle billion objects, and that might also influence your intercept problems.

scifista42 said:I'm not sure though, I thought Boom engine fixed the intercepts bug. But it still allows an emulation, you can find it somewhere in the options of PrBoom-plus or whichever port you're using. Which port are you using?

I'm using Prboom-plus2.5.1.3 and I used complevel 9 and I didn't run into anymore intercept overflows.

scifista42 said:By the way, I'll share a couple thoughts about the BEX mod: (I assume it's your work?)

• Due to long delays between shots, the shotgun and rocket launcher are really uncomfortable to use.
  • Animation of the pistol and chaingun could have been improved, because as the sprites looks now and the durations are set up, it's not very fluent. I would even say it feels unnatural due to the durations themselves.
  • I don't see how prolonged pain states of monsters add to the gameplay value anyhow. Maybe I see why you thought it does - more time and strategizing to prepare your attacks - but I don't personally agree it's a good thing.
  • Each time you shorten a monster's walking frame durations, you make the monster more aggressive because the Chase function will be called more frequently per second. I think you really exaggerated it with Lost Souls and Pain Elementals and many other as well.
  • Permanent blood and fuzzy Knights are quite interesting working ideas. However I recommend making the blood disappear after a 20 seconds or so, to clean the mess. The engine isn't happy when it has to handle billion objects, and that might also influence your intercept problems.
[/B]

I changed the shotgun to have a very small delay but not the rocket launcher because it's already overpowered. That's just something you really get used to.
Pistol was changed back to normal and I tried editing the chaingun to feel less unnatural although I don't think I did a good job.
I gave some of the monsters longer pain states because they were quite powerful although I'm going to do some editing to their pain chance to make that more justifiable.
What other monsters were overexaggerated? I toned down the speed of Cacodemons, Pain Elementals, and Souls, but I didn't revert the walking frames. I might to that to the Lost Souls though. I might scrap it altogether and just make the monsters faster although they might be a little choppy.