Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Here is what I have so far:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l2o32ka9gzdebn4/cool.wad
It's only one unfinished level I just wanted to see want people
think of the basic concept of the entire WAD.

also here are some things I want to do but don't know how to do:
-add a custom HUD
-Add a custom titlepic.I already have one:

-reskin all the weapons
-put animated sprites
-replace enemies
-place the menu arrow with the game's logo

------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I also have a problem with the lava because the texture looks like
this:
but in the game it look all ugly because it doesn't show the ture colors
it look's like if I play chex quest 3 on hexen.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
so please give me some pointers on how to do all this stuff and help me fix that problem.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Your feedback will help me very much.

xbobby64 said:

but in the game it look all ugly because it doesn't show the ture colors

That is because it is converted to Doom's color pallet (Which is extremely limited, it can make things look ugly as sin).

The only way to fix it would be to have a new color pallet with the much needed colors (Bad idea as it can mess up the other colors and make the entire game look terrible) or you can make the texture more basic and stick closer to Doom's pallet.

Problem is I have no idea how to do any of that stuff myself.

mrthejoshmon
The only way to fix it would be to have a new color pallet with the much needed colors (Bad idea as it can mess up the other colors and make the entire game look terrible) or you can make the texture more basic and stick closer to Doom's pallet.

so is there like a color pallet that has both the needed colors and doom
colors?

plums
It should look fine in GZDoom or other GL ports though.

I guess so.

xbobby64 said:

so is there like a color pallet that has both the needed colors and doom colors?

Not without removing some of the existing Doom colors. The palette is limited to 255 colors, at least one of them has to be redundant, to make up a pallet with 256 indexes.

Best way to make a pallet is to create a 16x16 image, save it as a raw 24-bit RGB bitmap (not a Microsoft bitmap or anything, it has to be raw), you'll need an image editor capable of saving raw format bitmaps. Paint Shop Pro or something, I dunno.

Import it in Slade 3 as "PLAYPAL.lmp", right click on it and tell it to generate all of the faded colors (there's 14 palettes, they fade to red, yellow and green for stuff like pain, item pickup and radiation suit). If this is for ZDoom or derivatives only, you don't need it, since those do the fading on the fly.

After that, you need to right click on it and tell it to generate a colormap, which is needed to have stuff fade into darkness in software rendering mode.

Reminded me of Nintendo 64 for some reason, the colours are so happy lol.

I'd like to see it finished with big glowy happy monsters. Maybe the sunshine of happiness would enter Essle's heart and he would colour the forums in a similar way.

xbobby64 said:

Will any of these work?
http://i58.tinypic.com/29ompg0.jpg

Perhaps "Digital Camera RAW Images" or "Raw Camera Images"? The main thing that matters is that each pixel only takes up exactly 3 bytes, and that the image contains ONLY the pixel data, no metadata like internal names, alignments or image size.

Might want to make a couple of test images, and either view their file size (try to be byte accurate, and look at the size of the contents themselves, not the size taken up by disk, since that can sometimes be slightly different), or by using a hex editor like XVI32. Each byte is 8 bits, and each hex integer takes up 4 bits.

The way many 'normal' formats figure out image size is like this; the actual image data is all just one long string, the metadata tells image viewers and editors how many pixels each horizontal line is supposed to be. To be safe, the number of pixels should be a multiple of the line length, lest the last line be incomplete. Think of it like a text editor, it goes left to right, then up to down. The reason for this is because of how CRTs scanned.

A proper RAW image is a bitmap without any metadata.

MegaTurtleRex said:
I'd like to see it finished with big glowy happy monsters. Maybe the sunshine of happiness would enter Essle's heart and he would colour the forums in a similar way.

the games isn't about sunshine and happyness (maybe in one or two levels)
this map is just an intro to the madness your going to. I got inspire by
this song

and this song too