Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Weedster

An Idea, not a story (forgive me)....

Wow, a fan fiction forum for obsessed fans like ourselves...it's nice to see some creativity around here.

Oh, that's right, I have a couple of ideas ;)

Here's what I had in mind:

DEMON GENESIS: Think of it as Bible stories about Hell and how it was created. In a nutshell, the chapters will tell about the creation of Hell, the monsters (even the Icon of Sin), the places in hell and Episode 3, how the Hellspawn started to hate one another, all the good stuff you'd like to know. The cybernetic monsters will not be incorporated into this, however, since they are mixed hellspawn and human machinery. It'll also take place billions of years before the rest of the universe is formed (hey, GOD creates that after all). Events will build up to the opening of the gates on Phobos in the end.

DOOM: Well, this should seem self-explanatory, but I'll go into it anyway. It'll be my own versions of the DOOM levels, with a small prologue in the beginning. First I'll need to think of a name for the character though ("Doomguy" definitely won't do). This is actually less on the drawing board than the above idea; maybe something will spontaneously hit me one day....

So, your thoughts on this?

I like the demon genesis idea. I've seen the kinds of stories where they explain why things are the way they are but still aren't exactly prologues, and usually they turn out to be interesting. This hasn't been done with Doom in a fashion I see fit thus far. Maybe you're on to something.

My story had a rather unique (if not a bit far-fetched) idea of where the demons came from.

Archvile64 said:

My story had a rather unique (if not a bit far-fetched) idea of where the demons came from.

I revere Memento Mori as a holy relic amongst us all.....

About the name for the Doomguy, if I were you, I'd either keep him nameless (either telling the story from the first person - the 'I' person, or refer to him as 'he' or 'the marine'), or use his Q3A nick - "Doom".
For all intends and purposes, I find "Doom" a rather cool nickname - it can be interpreted in a rather interesting fashion.

But it's up to you, just don't call him Flynn Taggert or anything related to that.....please.

Hmmmmm, I don't know..."Doom" would sound like his parents hated him. It's just not even a nickname to me.

I just thought of one today: Max Steiger; well?

JavaGuy said:

I like the demon genesis idea. I've seen the kinds of stories where they explain why things are the way they are but still aren't exactly prologues, and usually they turn out to be interesting. This hasn't been done with Doom in a fashion I see fit thus far. Maybe you're on to something.

In my Incident on Tei Tenga I postulated an origin of the demons in Doom. In my story they were a renegade race of creatures that were locked in another dimension by an extinct race of super-beings called (what else) the Ancients. When the Ancients died off, humans found an artifact left by the Ancients in the Tei Tenga system and activated it, opening a door to this other dimension and the demon invasion.

Dammit Wildman, you just gave away Incident at Tei Tenga's main plot and ruined all the suspension for us!
;-)

dsm said:

Dammit Wildman, you just gave away Incident at Tei Tenga's main plot and ruined all the suspension for us!
;-)

Heh. By the time I finish ITT, everyone will have forgotten this post.

Weedster said:

Hmmmmm, I don't know..."Doom" would sound like his parents hated him. It's just not even a nickname to me.

Yeah it's hideous. People should just come up with a name and nick for their stories. It's not like fan-fiction has such anal-retentive rules...

Weedster said:

I revere Memento Mori as a holy relic amongst us all.....

Yeah, that story was very, very vaguely based on the great megawad. Although, if you look closely enough, all the names of the soldiers are names of people who worked on the project.

Weedster said:

I just thought of one today: Max Steiger; well?

Mine's name is John Canter. He's gonna be in MM2, if I ever finish it =)

Archvile64 said:

Mine's name is John Canter. He's gonna be in MM2, if I ever finish it =)

Uhh, wasn't your MM story a MM2 story? I quite clearly remembered that your story mentioned a similar incident on the Moon, but the Moon was nuked.

Heh. By the time I finish ITT, everyone will have forgotten this post.

Depends. If the next chapter wont be released within the next five years, then yes. If not, well, don't underestimate my ability to remember such small posts ;-)
Oh well, I'll try and forget it anyway.

[edit]There's a thread full of character name suggestions here I haven't checked out the full thread, so I don't know whether there were any serious suggestions in the end.
And I bid you for your own sake: Ignore the very first reply in that thread[/edit]

Lament said:

Isn't doomguy's name Gustable Dingleberry or something like that?

DIE!