Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
plums

vanilla bug with linedef 37 / 84 (lower and change texture)

Here's a trimmed version of Run Like Hell! by Obsidian.

Download (includes buggy and non-buggy versions):
https://www.mediafire.com/?0ohp3n2f562bxvr

At the start of the map, moving forward lowers that whole middle structure, crossing a linedef type 37 [W1 Floor Lower to Lowest Floor (changes texture)]. However the sectors with the lava flat don't actually change their texture. More importantly, crossing those sectors once they're lowered in Vanilla/Chocolate will sometimes cause a crash, with the message "P_PlayerInSpecialSector: unknown special X" with X being a seemingly random number. (If you want to test this out, you might have to try a few times to get a crash, by starting the map over with New Game or IDCLEV.)

Using linedef 84 (WR) doesn't make a difference, though if you cross the linedefs again once the structure is lowered, the lava flat will then change.

If I delete the rectangle at the right, and optionally redraw it, the bug goes away! So I imagine it has something to do with linedef numbers. But I'm not sure what. It sounds a bit like the Stairs create unknown sector types bug, but not exactly the same. I can only find vague info online, seems people have encountered this before but not commonly. However I've seen it happen a few times now.

Check out this post by Vermil:

The 'lower to and change texture' linetypes, take the flat from the sector the lowest numbered two sided linedef in the target sector, is attached to.

Thanks, that at least explains why the working version works. The bug in the non-working version still doesn't make sense to me (why doesn't the texture change at all?) but in the end it doesn't matter.