Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TendaMonsta

Slade not converting PNG to Flats

I have a few 64x64 images I want to use as flats, but everytime I've tried to convert them to flats the file turns into an unknown lump.

I believe I'm using the latest beta version of slade.
Please help.

Well, I'll explain the mystery anyway:

Doom's flat format is extremely bare-bones (literally just a linear list of pixels), and doesn't have any sort of header that can be used to reliably identify it like most other file formats have. As a result, sometimes lump editors can mis-identify flats as something else. If the lump is 4096 bytes it's probably fine, and as long as it displays properly in the source port your wad is intended for, you can rest assured it's just a harmless oddity caused by the flat format being weird.

Flats are supposed to be in the flat namespace (F_ or FF_ markers), so if it's not it might not be identified.

Gez said:

Flats are supposed to be in the flat namespace (F_ or FF_ markers), so if it's not it might not be identified.

I've experienced the same thing as TendaMonsta before, even when it is in the correct namespaces. Usually, reloading the WAD file and/or Slade itself will rectify the situation. Sometimes it misinterprets it as a Jaguar texture, strangely enough.

Looks like flat reliability needs to be pumped up quite a notch.

Sodaholic said:
Usually, reloading the WAD file and/or Slade itself will rectify the situation. Sometimes it misinterprets it as a Jaguar texture, strangely enough. [/B]

I just converted the PNG files to flats on a random wad instead of a fresh/new wad and it somehow decided to work.