Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomRenegade

Deathmatch project

Guest Unregistered account

Hang on, working on a map...

In a few days I will become more active, just really busy lately...
But I have sketches and stuff for like, a lot of maps... I will look at everyone's maps soon and put them in the wad
Like, Saturday is when I will start working

I'll be honest, I highly dislike having slopes in Doom deathmatch maps unless it is in CTF. Slopes are often misused and they can look like a total eyesore in my opinion. That said I would advise not to use slopes in your maps.

I also noticed a few missing side textures due to the slopes from Hurricyclone's map:

The map is fairly big (maybe a little too big for my preference of DM maps). I'm not super keen on some of the texture usage. There is a over use of brown-ish/metal textures throughout multiple sectors. I understand that this is a WIP map and I believe Hurricyclone mentioned that he will do some detail editing soon.

I also haven't play tested his map yet with bots, so I can't comment on the gameplay at the moment.

Joe667's map looks very nice. It's super old school which is something I like a lot. Most modern Doom maps seem to have deviated away from this style since the mid 2000s, which really is a shame. Joe's map has quite a few bells and whistles (meaning there are switches, lifts, and multiple routes throughout the map). It is medium size which is fine, but I feel like it should be just a bit smaller. Anything bigger than this is an instant no-no for my preference in DM. I did try playing it against 4 bots, and 3 out of the 4 seemed to have gotten lost or stuck in a sector?

The map I submitted might need some fine tuning. I spotted a couple of texture offsets that can easily be fixed. The blood splatter textures have a couple of discolored pixels that need to be fixed using MS Paint. I also think that some parts of the map should be decorated with things just for the sake of visuals. Idk, what do you guys think?

doomguy93 said:

I also noticed a few missing side textures due to the slopes from Hurricyclone's map:

can you provide me with another screenshot of where these HOMs are? I'm not sure where these are exactly (haven't found them myself) and judging from your current shots both of these are in the outer cavern areas.

oh yeah, I plan on removing the metal textures soon, as I said no detail added yet, just need feedback on layout, interconnectivity, etc. probably will keep the outer cavern parts though.

in the meantime, I've got a second map being worked on ^-^.

doomguy93 said:

I'll be honest, I highly dislike having slopes in Doom deathmatch maps unless it is in CTF. Slopes are often misused and they can look like a total eyesore in my opinion. That said I would advise not to use slopes in your maps.

Aw :( I use slopes more for details such as rounded hallways and other things though the type of texture on them is important but if no one wants slopes I will restrain :P

kalinus said:

Aw :( I use slopes more for details such as rounded hallways and other things though the type of texture on them is important but if no one wants slopes I will restrain :P

Lol don't worry I'm not prohibiting you from using slopes, I'm just saying that I typically don't care for them very much. I'm not the project manager of this project so it is up to DoomRenegade to make the decisions. :P

I'd recommend you check out Skulltag's D2DM10: Final Atonement for examples on how to use slopes in a DeathMatch level or, as previously mentioned, the Space DM series.

doomguy93 said:

I did try playing it against 4 bots, and 3 out of the 4 seemed to have gotten lost or stuck in a sector?

Yeah, judging from my testing with bots, they can't handle the starting positions (some of them start you behind a wall).

Hurricyclone said:

can you provide me with another screenshot of where these HOMs are? I'm not sure where these are exactly (haven't found them myself) and judging from your current shots both of these are in the outer cavern areas.

oh yeah, I plan on removing the metal textures soon, as I said no detail added yet, just need feedback on layout, interconnectivity, etc. probably will keep the outer cavern parts though.

in the meantime, I've got a second map being worked on ^-^.

http://i.imgur.com/qy5hvUW.png?1?8284

I think they are all located in the cavern areas like you said.

I also look forward to seeing your second map :)

@Joe667, I think it would be best to fix the starting positions so bots won't get stuck.

hmm...I still don't see any HOM's for the slope lines in my map, and I've checked EVERY single slope line, even the ceiling ones and the ones close to the center of the map.

maybe uh, highlight some of the problem linedefs? cuz I can't see where exactly the problem is from my angle.

Hurricyclone said:

hmm...I still don't see any HOM's for the slope lines in my map, and I've checked EVERY single slope line, even the ceiling ones and the ones close to the center of the map.

maybe uh, highlight some of the problem linedefs? cuz I can't see where exactly the problem is from my angle.

I'm not really sure. I could of sworn that I spotted some mirrored missing textures.

On another note, I'm working on second map. It's going to be similar to Greenwar, which is one of my favorite DM WADS ever.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/261aawgba20aew5/

okay, here's an update to my first map, plus a second map too.

first map, I got rid of most of the METAL textures and added more stuff. sorry doomguy93 I still can't find the HOMs in slope lines no matter how closely I looked.

the second map is wood/tech mixery of sorts with conveyor belts and stuff. not sure what to name these maps as of yet.

Slopes are officially prohibited :P
Doomguy you are making maps again? that sounds awesome!!
So yeah I am about to release a small wad because while I was away, I didn't have much to do, the wad has the maps I need in them, so far it has a good amount, Doomguy you don't have to worry about those blue spots in the blood patch, I deleted them, I might have to get rid of them entirely, mostly because it is over a wall texture that was used a lot in Joe's map

Arf, and just when I got used to certain ZDoom mapping features.

expect a workaround for both of the maps very soon...

@Hurricyclone: Take a look at this video here. It shows a mirrored texture from one of the slopes in the cavern areas. This is just one example of many that I spotted in this map. I gotta admit, I like the midi and some parts of the map are interesting. However, I'm leaning towards not likeing this map mostly because it is too large for my preference and it looks like something that was made in like 1995 (despite the slopes because no Doom maps in the mid 90's had them). I played it against 8 bots with a frag limit set to 25 and I did not enjoy the gameplay. It was slow and fairly boring. I would recommend making this map significantly smaller. And by the way, I hope I'm not giving you the impression that I'm a jerk when I critique other people's maps, I'm just trying to give constructive criticism :)

Now on the otherhand, I kinda like the other map you made. I haven't done a thorough analysis of it or play tested against bots yet, but it does visually look nice. The conveyor belt thingy seems interesting.

@DoomRenegade: Yeah I'm getting back into the swing of making maps here and there lol I think you guys are going to like the Greenwar map I'm currently crafting. If you don't like the blood patches with the accidental discolored pixels, you are free to remove them. The only thing I ask is if you leave the other blood patches that don't contain any discolored pixels in the pwad.

For the rest of the week (including the weekend and weekdays), I will be busy studying for a Marketing Final Exam. That said, my time dedicated to this project will once again be temporarily put on hold until Wednesday of next week.

EDIT: If you guys want, you can check out some of the levels from my DM megawad Deathmatch Revival. Not all of the maps are immaculate, but I think some of the best maps to get inspiration from are MAP02, MAP03, MAP04, MAP05, MAP06, MAP07, MAP08, MAP11, MAP13, MAP17, MAP18, MAP28, MAP29, MAP30, MAP33, & MAP35.
Check it out here and feel free to leave a rating/review if you like:http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/deathmatch/Ports/megawads/dmr_2014.zip

DoomRenegade said:

Slopes are officially prohibited :P

Aw :( Thats ok I thought that might have happened (I started a backup map) My map was full of slopes and 3d floors I'll share it once I make some more progress on it. My current (slope-less) map is inspired by the map Sidewinder from Halo CE. It uses textures from arctic wolfendoom I tried to get ahold of laz for permission to use them but he never contacted me back.

doomguy93, you're video is already outdated :). I've removed the slopes way before your video was posted, and so it's made to look a bit more organic hopefully. I know that it is "generally" large for a DM map, but I've seen far bigger DM maps than the one I've made. I guess if there's one way to scale it down though, would be to remove the eastern cavern sections (I want to keep the library!).

and just so you know, you're no jerk. I personally love '94-95 wads that everyone hates though, which makes me have the unpopular opinion of Doomworld :). perhaps this map will be the only big one out of my current maps (the second one was smaller I think).

finals will also take a toll on my next week, so don't expect much of me then.

Hurricyclone said:

doomguy93, you're video is already outdated :). I've removed the slopes way before your video was posted, and so it's made to look a bit more organic hopefully. I know that it is "generally" large for a DM map, but I've seen far bigger DM maps than the one I've made. I guess if there's one way to scale it down though, would be to remove the eastern cavern sections (I want to keep the library!).

and just so you know, you're no jerk. I personally love '94-95 wads that everyone hates though, which makes me have the unpopular opinion of Doomworld :). perhaps this map will be the only big one out of my current maps (the second one was smaller I think).

finals will also take a toll on my next week, so don't expect much of me then.

Lol well I guess I can delete the video then since you removed all the slopes. The thing about most early 90's DM maps is that they have poor balance regarding thing placement and map layout. The standards for DM gameplay were much different back then and unfortunately the majority of modern doomers in the community don't like early 90's maps.

I do like the little library sector in your map though, so please keep that! :)

Best of luck on your finals Hurricyclone.

EDIT: This might sound like a surprise, but I actually like some of the slopes in the second DM map you made. Especially some of the slopes on the ceilings. I think this is an example of slopes used properly.

GZDoom compatablie Deathmatch maps? That does seem like an odd choice, unless Im out of the loop. Are they going to run in Zandronum, at least? Zdaemon compatability would be nice too, but of course this is all up to you guys.

Doomkid92 said:

GZDoom compatablie Deathmatch maps? That does seem like an odd choice, unless Im out of the loop. Are they going to run in Zandronum, at least? Zdaemon compatability would be nice too, but of course this is all up to you guys.

Is GZDoom even for multiplayer? Like are there servers of the source port available? I agree with with Doomkid that it should be at least compatible with Zandronum. ZDameon is good too because it is fairly popular as well. I hardly ever see people on Odamex.

On another topic @ Doomkid: I am going to send you an update of the DMR extras PWAD through PM. I did some work on it that I think you would approve of. Give me a minute.

I prefer Zandronum for multiplayer though almost all ports can play Multiplayer through the more traditional enter Ip# through console method.

Also almost anything that can run in GZdoom can run in Zandronum.

Edit: Also theres a really cool port of Odamex for Original Xbox

kalinus said:

Edit: Also theres a really cool port of Odamex for Original Xbox

I never knew that :O

Yeah it even supports multiplayer all you need is a modded xbox (easy to mod btw)

Also are there any strong opinions on the style of the Deathmatch maps for this as far as play style and looks.

kalinus said:

Also are there any strong opinions on the style of the Deathmatch maps for this as far as play style and looks.

I would imagine that most of the maps would probably take on an oldschool style, but not like a really low quality DWANGO map. I usually make my maps based on the styles of the gothic series, Brit series, and Greenwars. That is what I mean by oldschool. It's up to DoomRenegade to make the call of the preferred mapping style.

I actually finished the map (Yay!)

Here is the link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ay4vryact1bzb52/Storage+Depot.zip

Let me know what you guys think. The name of the map is called "Storage Depot" and it is intended for 4-8 DM players. This map is a mix between DWANGO & Greenwar. It is techbase themed which is one of my personal favorites next to brick themed maps.

EDIT: For some reason, it crashes when run with ZDaemon (probably because of the PNAMES lump). However, it works with Zandronum & Skulltag so run it on one of those.

Zdaemon and Odamex are a bit picky about this kind of thing.

Compare the DMR_EXTR wad with your original one, I deleted the existing pnames and texture lumps and made new ones in XWE by selecting all the patches and adding them to pnames and texture. Ill give it a shot here too.

Doomkid92 said:

Zdaemon and Odamex are a bit picky about this kind of thing.

Compare the DMR_EXTR wad with your original one, I deleted the existing pnames and texture lumps and made new ones in XWE by selecting all the patches and adding them to pnames and texture. Ill give it a shot here too.

Yeah I hate the way those oldschool source ports can be such a pain in the ass about lumps. Thanks for taking a look at it man.

Here is a video I made the latest map I made using Brutal Doom and a color pallet mod just for the hell of it.

doomguy93 said:

Here is a video I made the latest map I made using Brutal Doom and a color pallet mod just for the hell of it.

Nice, Gothic DeathMatch music. Can I just ask, do you have a thing for barrels or something? DMRevival was full of them and apart from in there, I haven't seen them in a modern DM map since. :/

Nice looking map too, BTW.

Joe667 said:

Nice, Gothic DeathMatch music. Can I just ask, do you have a thing for barrels or something? DMRevival was full of them and apart from in there, I haven't seen them in a modern DM map since. :/

Nice looking map too, BTW.

Thanks Joe! I'm glad you liked it. Your map is good too. & Yeah I like barrels in DM, and you're right about how most modern DM maps seem to abandon the use of barrels. Only a few maps in DMR have barrels. I typically use them for detailing and strategic DM use. I typically like barrels in techbase maps.

Speaking of your map, what is the status of it?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ivurydk6vlpimyi/

new updates for my maps, plus a third! :o!!!

got rid of the slopes, and made the first map's caverns more organic looking, but I didn't get around to lowering the size limits yet. third map is VERY vintage, arena, 12 starts. I was planning on adding a couple of "rotating turrets" close to the center but again, haven't got around to doing that just quite yet. too busy my weekend is.