Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
D_GARG

love to edit but dont feel like playing?

I have personally noticed that Im not a fan of playing other peoples wads unless they got their shit really [Special] like Scalliano's PSX mod Threshold Of Pain. I mean all you see is the vast endlessness of random vanilla wads, and then you bump into something that Is [Special] regardless of what type of PWAD it is, then it gets forgotten because there are new upcomming projects comming around.

but counter to that I really Love to make Doom maps and tweak around with some mod improving the game and making things more intresting.

But as a summary it becomes really useless unless the multiplayer community picks it up

Is there anybody out there who feels the same?
Who are you? a wad runner, or a D00mHaxor?

Sort of same, but in larger scale. I'm at ModDB, but I've hardly played any mods or indie games from there.

I think the main problem is that game development just takes so much time, that when I want to play a game.. I immediately need to know it's a game that I like, so it's going to be a game I've played through (many times) a long time ago.

It's easier to find/try Doom wads though...

I can spend hours, days and weeks messing with SLADE3, importing custom content, doing recolors of textures and monster sprites and creating DEHACKED or DECORATE for brand new behaviours. I have MANY whole sets of these in my crapwads folder, prepared for my project ideas I might or might not ever work on in the future. I enjoy the editing and making these resources. Practically all of them are for no purpose for a standalone release though, since they're unfinished.

I was a bit like this during Progressive Fiction and I made an effort to balance it out last year. This year I'm back to being insular again because I spend all my Doom time on my current project, but once it's done I'll do more playing I think.

purist said:

I was a bit like this during Progressive Fiction and I made an effort to balance it out last year. This year I'm back to being insular again because I spend all my Doom time on my current project, but once it's done I'll do more playing I think.

kinda how I feel about if I have a project running, I would love to do a long cooperative run and have teamspeak up and film it all and post it on youtube, as a designers reference resource.

I just work better focusing on one thing at a time. I procrastinate otherwise. It's the same reason why I never worked on other projects at the same time. Although a break is welcome and I appreciate the value in taking inspiration from other maps or othe projects, it just becomes an excuse for me to distract myself instead of contending with the more difficult or tedious parts of my project.

Interesting topic for a thread. Firstly I'll say I get a lot of entertainment out of playing through all kinds of random vanilla wads, regardless of age. It's just a really fun way to kill time.

With editing, for me it goes in waves: Sometimes I'm cranking out 4 or 5 'good' maps a month (Usually DM or rarely Vanilla SP stuff) and then I'll go half a year or more and not make anything at all. I often try to see just how far I can push dehacked and my limited sprite editing skills as well. I still need to familiarize myself with Decorate.

I also love the [special] mods you're talking about though, stuff like that which makes an effort to put a whole new spin on the old Doom. It feels equally addictive yet in a different way.

I guess I could sum this post up by saying "I like wads".

i'm more a demo watcher when i don't feel like playing. although watching a perfect run can kill my incentive to play when it makes me feel clumsy in comparison.

I can't be arsed to edit very often, but find I tire of playing quite quickly too. Short levels or stuff that isn't really Doom is about as far as I can bring myself these days.

Hell yes. I really enjoy making maps (worlds), but I'm not that into actually playing the game. Playtesting is the most boring thing in the world.

Other peoples pwads...some I really really like, but I actually never play anymore. I'd rather watch demos lol

I am going to guess that you are either an Engineer, or an Architect.
When you see a level map, do want to make it better ??
Is there a place in your brain that itches to open it in an editor ??

I love doing both, playing other peoples works allows me to find out clever tricks and even get better at the game (and when you are better at the game, the more challenging you can make your works).

wesleyjohnson said:

I am going to guess that you are either an Engineer, or an Architect.
When you see a level map, do want to make it better ??
Is there a place in your brain that itches to open it in an editor ??

whenever I see something I have no idea what the maker could have done to make something happen, I open stuff in editors, and I love to take cool textures for my own projects, which in turn, forces me to make long credits notes

Put it this way, if I could edit in the first place then I would be making more maps. I pretty much do what Pirx does though, watch demos if I don't feel like playing.