Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomgargoyle

Gamespy shutting down in may

Sodaholic said:

Many are still sold in boxes, even though it immediately just goes to Steam. You could buy the box version and attempt to use a crack. That way, you still legitimately bought it, but you don't have to get tied to the Steam service.

Frankly, I'm glad physical media is becoming a thing of the past. What exists should be preserved best as possible for history's sake, but the only thing that really matters is the software inside. I prefer to simply have data, since I don't want to have to worry about keeping a physical thing in good shape (if you're not careful, even the cardboard can get dinged up). Leave it to the museums to deal with that, I just want to play my games.

I hate having all my gaming stuff needing to call the Steam deathstar. I dont like to rely on them or anyone in particular for my games. And I actually like boxed copies of games, they have a charm digital only doesnt.

I didn't mean to give the impression as if I am completely against digital alternatives of physical products altogether.
The truth is that there are indeed some things which I would prefer to have in digital form, such as important personal documents like diplomas, certificates, and licenses in order to eliminate the risk of having them crumpled up or torn apart or stolen.
But when it comes to PC games... Nothing can surpass those priceless moments during the 1990ies when I would look at a gift-wrapped box underneath my Christmas tree and think: "Gee, I wonder which item from my list has my dad chosen this time...Is it Hexen II? Is it Jedi Knight? Or is it one of those expansion sets for Duke3D?"
Those precious moments of anticipation are priceless and irreplaceable by any new alternatives.
Furthermore, it felt good to flip through the pages of the printed manuals inside of the boxes and smell the fresh ink. And it also feels good knowing that I have something for getting autographs of the develpers scribbled on.
As far as copy-protection security codes, those can always be printed somewhere inside of a damn jewelcase or compartment.

Doomgargoyle said:

last time i tried heretic II online, there were no players around.

Make sure that your version is upgraded to 1.06 via the Official Enhancement Pack, because everyone who plays online uses that.
Also, try to come on weekend evenings.
Knowing what timezone you're in would really help.
You could PM me about this stuff.

doomgargoyle said:

Which was that game?

Smackdown VS Raw 2006 for PS2. Most fun I've ever had for online gaming. There's a whole bunch of factors that made it fucking awesome; a testament to how much people enjoyed it, even by 2012, lobbies were full of players.

I agree that slow internet should become a thing of the past. Governments should consider it a utility, because it is one. Net neutrality should be restored, and it should be affordable to everyone. Any copper infrastructure should be upgraded to fiber-optic.

There are ways to remove the DRM from Steam games. I don't see much inconvenience with buying from Steam (retail or download) and cracking your legit games soon after. It's an extra step, but not one that takes much effort.

Am I the only one that has never run into any snags with Steam's offline mode? Everyone complains about it, but it's never kicked me off any of my games while remaining in offline mode. I guess I'm lucky.

Sodaholic said:

I agree that slow internet should become a thing of the past. Governments should consider it a utility, because it is one. Net neutrality should be restored, and it should be affordable to everyone. Any copper infrastructure should be upgraded to fiber-optic.

Arguably neutrality is the very reason the government invests so little into the internet. If the government can't regulate and control something, then they want nothing to do with it or outright ban it.

Somebody with $$$ should buy the Gamespy servers from Glu and keep them running. Its the only solution i can think of, since not all of the games have their source code out. I do think that for most if not all, they all interact the same with gamespy, they have a server lookup, it gets the server info from gamespy and the list populates. Thats it.

Ah Gamespy, back in the early 00's, having to wait in line to download a gigantic 7 meg file on my blazing fast 56k - and that took forever to download (which shows you how blazing fast my 56k was).

baronofheck82 said:

Ah Gamespy, back in the early 00's, having to wait in line to download a gigantic 7 meg file on my blazing fast 56k - and that took forever to download (which shows you how blazing fast my 56k was).

Muh nigga right here.