Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xegethra

Can I make a sector both hurt you and glow at the same time?

Hello there!

I'm a bit stuck on a part of a map I am making, to add to my already existing rooms I wish to create a room that will both glow and hurt the player at the same time but I can't figure out how to do this.

I am making the map in Doom Builder 2 and the map runs best in GZDoom and Zandronum.

The maps are currently in Doom 2 format configuration, I have tried changing this to see what happens, but either all the textures go away, things break or the map just garbles. So if there is a way of changing this, or using a trick to achieve a sector using more than one special property, then I'm stuck on it.

If anyone can offer help or tell me if it can even be done or not then thanks in advance for any help!

You can use the Boom sector flags for that. Give it a glow type (8) and add 32, 64, or 96 depending on how much damage you want to inflict. So put 40, 72, or 104 as the type.

That will put the minimum compatibility level to Boom, of course. No vanilla.

Otherwise, in vanilla compat, you can use sector type 4. But it's blinking light rather than glowing light; and you cannot choose how much damage it deals, it's always 20%.

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Sector

Sure, you can use Boom generalized sector types.

Suppose you want to combine:

3   00011      blink 1.0 second
and
32  01         5  units damage per sec (halve damage in TYTD skill)
3+32 = 35, and that's your sector type.

If you want to change the parameters (eg. blink 0.5 second, 10 units damage per sec) then simply find the appropriate alternatives from the list and recalculate.

There is special effect 4 in Doom 2 format, it makes sector to blink and hurt at the same time.

In vanilla you can probably make a glowing sector and then use "floor raise to next higher floor (changes texture)" or something similar on it and make it copy the properties of a damaging sector. If I'm not mistaken, the glowing won't go away.

edit: yep, it works -> glowhurt.wad

Memfis said:

In vanilla you can probably make a glowing sector and then use "floor raise to next higher floor (changes texture)" or something similar on it and make it copy the properties of a damaging sector. If I'm not mistaken, the glowing won't go away.

Just verified using 37 (lower and change texture), the glowing effect stays and the sector becomes damaging. Works with any lighting effect I tried. Clever!

Ohh thanks for all the replies!!

I tried out what that room does and I got it to work for my room, it was a bit finicky as it is quite a fancily textured room but all is good now!

You could also probably make your own light behavior from scratch with a dummy player1 repeatedly warp/scrolling in a dummy hall over a sequence of 'light change to next brightest neighbor' (or whatever etc) lines, and have the target room joined with a dummy room with neighboring rooms of all desired light shades.

If you're mapping for ZDoom, you can use ACS. Say the tag of your sector is 1, the ACS script would look like this:

script 1 OPEN
{
light_glow(1,255,0,35);
sector_setdamage(1,5,0);
}
Obviously you can change the variables to your liking.

It looks like there is quite a few methods for this....I currently have gone for the method Memfis has suggested, as the technique actually complemented the room I was building...it was meant to be a machine looking thing that would glow inside, whilst it hurt you and the floor lift just adds to it's aesthetic quite well.

Perhaps when I am more confident with modding, I shall explore the other options! If I don't want to have to contend with falling floors all the while.

But I appreciate all the help, perhaps some ideas I have tried in the past are possible after all.

Doom2 map19 does it sort of reverse.. it has the blink/damage sector type, and then a switch raises the damage pit up, and it becomes non damaging, but the blinking remains.

Also line type 17 starts blinking lights in tagged sectors when player crosses the line. It will be the faster non synced blinking...

And it's possible to use line type 17 on sectors with a light effect already on them, which will combine both effects. End results will be different depending on when player crossed the line...