Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
one_Two

vanilla/software sky not working.

Hey, so I'm making a few maps and this problem occurs. Basically my wad uses cc4tex so I've copied the texture and patches lump into mine. Now I do intend to change some skys but that's not really the problem, in map01 i have a sky texture as the floor and the ceiling with normal flat and same height, the sky texture bleeds through and so I have the sky on that wall (works fine, idk if I got terminology wrong there)

then on map02 i wanna have like a few windows where you can see sky out of it, I do the same thing but it just shows the linedef texture, not the sky, even though that is the floor texture. I've tried numerous combinations of things but to no avail, I'm testing in a number of ports, this only seems to happen in software like odamex and prboom. Glboom works fine. any help appreciated.
Thanks.

Can you upload the part of the map with the buggy sky? There are many ways to do it wrong.

Sky wall tricks are supposed to be done with the ceiling...

Ceiling with F_SKY1 lowered to floor and no upper texture on the lines.

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking; like Memfis said, posting the wad would help us out a lot.

I will point out, however, that in Vanilla Doom / source ports with a Vanilla-esque renderer, you should not have a sky flat on both the floor and ceiling on the same sector. Vanilla renderers are designed to combine visplanes that have sky flats on them, and that might explain the unusual behavior you're getting.

Jimi said:

Sky wall tricks are supposed to be done with the ceiling...

Yep, the sky hack only works with the ceiling. It has no effect on the floor.

The effect was used abundantly in Xaser's Lost Episode, especially in E5M1 where most of the floor is a sky floor.

In that wad the problem is exactly what Jimi and Gez are talking about. You need F_SKY1 on the ceiling, not on the floor.

BlueFeena said:

I will point out, however, that in Vanilla Doom / source ports with a Vanilla-esque renderer, you should not have a sky flat on both the floor and ceiling on the same sector. Vanilla renderers are designed to combine visplanes that have sky flats on them, and that might explain the unusual behavior you're getting.

I've heard that there is a workaround: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/59714-f-sky1-floor-f-sky1-ceiling/

Oh wait, sorry I'm stupid.
You need two sectors to get a "sky horizon". First sector should have sky ceiling and non-zero height. The sector behind it should have sky ceiling and zero height. Look at Doom 2 map01 for an example.

Memfis said:

Oh wait, sorry I'm stupid.
You need two sectors to get a "sky horizon". First sector should have sky ceiling and non-zero height. The sector behind it should have sky ceiling and zero height. Look at Doom 2 map01 for an example.

Yep that's the one, cheers for your help.