Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

Sunlust [on /idgames]

Too much awesomeness. I will not be able to help out because of WAY too little spare time these days, but good luck onward. I already know it will be awesome =)

ohai, screenshots of random E2 maps I made in the past week or so:

red!

more red!

green!

Looks pretty neat, especially when walls are smoothly rounded, along with landscape having same treatment. May or may not feel natural. :P

Wow, I did'nt expect that maps is so detailed, and big. It seems promising, as much as Revelation of Doom.

Ribbiks said:

Hmmm. How do you get [non-semicircular/elliptical] curves that smooth? Is it judged by eye, worked out with a calculator, some external tool, or maybe wad C? I'm guessing it's by eye, since there are slight imperfections if you look for a while. It must takes ages to get them that neat, though. I can't stand tidying up freehand curves.

Looks like some kind of tribal tattoo, fractal thingy.. and the other one looks like the back part of some fancy guitar. Cool stuff.

Grain of Salt said:

Hmmm. How do you get [non-semicircular/elliptical] curves that smooth? Is it judged by eye, worked out with a calculator, some external tool, or maybe wad C? I'm guessing it's by eye, since there are slight imperfections if you look for a while. It must takes ages to get them that neat, though. I can't stand tidying up freehand curves.

Doombuilder's "Curve Linedefs" can do some wonders at times. Though, it looks like good eye is used on this.

Er, am I right? Or am I talking out of my ass, as usual?

It's not hard to make curves in DB2 freehand as long as you don't obsess over the grid.

This looks hella sexy btw, really looking forward to it.

CorSair said:

"Curve Linedefs"

Well yeah, I know about curve linedef. That's why I said "non-semicircular/elliptical".

Marcaek said:

It's not hard to make curves in DB2 freehand as long as you don't obsess over the grid.

You can freehand draw parallel curves with a smoothly varying rate of change between vertexes? Do you have any examples?

I don't see what the grid has to do with it.

regarding the curves:

I do everything 100% freehand, with a couple small exceptions. I actually recorded myself while making that map in the first screenshot, here's the first 4 hours or so at 400% speed, this is when I did most of the outlining and basic structure drawing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq--5SScpVw

(just uploaded this, so might not be online yet)

As you can see it's just a lot of free-handing with the grid off. I'd like to think I have decent proficiency of making curvy shapes by now :). imo using the curve tool yields lines that look less natural, at least to me.

Grain of Salt said:

It must takes ages to get them that neat, though. I can't stand tidying up freehand curves.

that map took me approx 11 hours in its entirety, including texturing and playtesting. not too long I don't think..

I never conceived the possibility of drawing a linedef without closing the sector.

Wow haha, yeah the curves in SWTW were stunning already but it seems you managed to improve even more since then :o

Very impressive work !

That's really really interesting, it looks like you're just drawing shapes for awhile without regard to it being Doom at all. How much of a plan do you have going in to something like this?

Thanks a ton for the video Ribbiks, it reminds me that you're not just a curve-based calculating robot that is hellbent on the suffering of every person that plays Doom. Excited for E2!

BlueFeena said:

Holy shit, your mapping is utterly insane. Great work.

thanks!

plums said:

That's really really interesting, it looks like you're just drawing shapes for awhile without regard to it being Doom at all. How much of a plan do you have going in to something like this?

In general I don't really have a plan. I just draw shapes and hope for the best.

dobu gabu maru said:

Thanks a ton for the video Ribbiks, it reminds me that you're not just a curve-based calculating robot that is hellbent on the suffering of every person that plays Doom. Excited for E2!

awww yeah.

Ribbiks said:
[video]

Drawing lines without closing sectors is definitely a tip worth knowing about. I don't think your workflow would work that well for me though tbh, since my mapping process is ~2% initial building and 98% moving stuff around, deleting, rebuilding, etc.

So is that Parallels or Fusion?