Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eradrop

How to upload screenshots?

You upload images to an image-hoster, such as imgur.com, then link to them from there. Account registration isn't required, but very helpful. There's a limit on image filesize and dimensions: 200kB and 800x600, but imgur has very decent thumbnails, you use them as follows:

Once you upload your image, there's a selection of links on the sidebar. If you copy the "Linked BBCode" field into your post, the link appears twice, in the format

(url=link)(img)link(/img)(/url)

Where ( ) are replaced by [ ].

In the second link (between img tags), you have some random letters before the file extension, such as fhRE374.jpg

For a small thumbnail, add s to those letters/numbers
For medium, you add m, and l for large. This way you don't have to worry about your images being too large.
Hope this makes sense.

Eris Falling said:

There's a limit on image filesize and dimensions: 200kB and 800x600

Not sure where you got this idea from. You can upload files up to 10 MB, though if it's over 1 MB it will get compressed as a jpg. I don't know if there's a maximum resolution but I've seen images with higher dimensions than 2048x2048.

Here's a nice picture. It suffers a little from compression because it's huge, but for Doom screenshots that's nothing I'd worry about.

Here's the code to make it work, in case Eris Falling's example was hard to follow. I've spaced out the tags and underlined the different filename, and used a trick (empty tags) to stop the tags from actually working :

[url=http://i.imgur.com/IuWCb.jpg]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/IuWCbm.jpg[/img]
[/url]

Oh right, haha. Well that rule isn't so enforced anyhow, 1024x768 seems fine at least.

The rule is enforced by the moderators, who can Loser you if you post large screenshots in [img] tags.

plums said:

Oh right, haha. Well that rule isn't so enforced anyhow, 1024x768 seems fine at least.

Moderators can't be everywhere at once, but it doesn't hurt to try and stay within the posting guidelines.

One point on thumbnails - if you're offered a range of sizes (as MediaFire does), check how many kB they occupy in a preview of your post before submitting. I've known them to exceed 200k while being well within the dimension limits.