Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nich

Does anyone play Dos Doom netplay?

terminus12 said:

The computer is running ms-dos 6.22 I'm using a 3com ethernet pci card to connect it to a router. It's detecting the card I've downloaded drivers and what not but I can never tell if they've installed though because it just copies some files to the hard drive and I have to like start them up from there and I can't tell if it's working or not cause I don't know how to test the connection. My buddy told me i'll have to replicate a legacy network and I should probably give up but I don't want to quit that easily just yet.

Well, it depends. What are you hoping to achieve here?

The fact is that the Internet is built on the TCP/IP protocol suite, and most DOS applications used different protocols. Sure, there are almost certainly DOS TCP/IP stacks out there, but there aren't many applications that you can use with them. For example, Doom used IPX for networking, and it only works on a local LAN. Basically your DOS computer and the Internet are going to be talking different languages.

The people in this thread are playing Doom by tunneling IPX over TCP/IP - DOSbox has built-in support for doing this. But you don't have that feature with a real DOS machine.

There are a couple of options in idgames (ifrag, tcpsetup, and I think there used to be one called iDoom) that provide replacements for ipxsetup.exe which work over IP. I've never tried them myself though so you're on your own in terms of getting them to work. You'd probably also have to find someone else with an Internet-connected DOS machine to play against, and good luck with that.

crap I thought a few other people on this thread were using a real DOS machine but I guess not. Oh well, I was never big on DOSBox either unfortunately so I might have to miss out.

I know this thread is kind of old but I have recently purchased a true Dos machine that I'd love to try. It has a built in 56k modem and I also bought an ethernet card for it, but I'm having IRQ issues.

I know it would probably be even more difficult to set up a true Dos game, but it would be awesome none-the-less.

The closest thing I can speak of is attempting to (and failing at) setting up a netgame with GZDoom in the school's library.

Mrs. Nesbitt said:

I know this thread is kind of old but I have recently purchased a true Dos machine that I'd love to try. It has a built in 56k modem and I also bought an ethernet card for it, but I'm having IRQ issues.

I know it would probably be even more difficult to set up a true Dos game, but it would be awesome none-the-less.

If you ever get the internet up and running on your dos machine let me know I'll get mine up and running and play with you.

terminus12 said:

If you ever get the internet up and running on your dos machine let me know I'll get mine up and running and play with you.

If I can't get the ethernet card to work, I will go somewhere that has a phone line and call you with my modem. It will be the best possible Doom deathmatch experience.

I'm still keen on some DOSbox dooming too - We should all meet up in the chocolate-doom irc channel at irc.oftc.org

Oh, I just want you guys to know I've made/organized wads that are 100% vanilla compat too:
- http://www.wad-archive.com/wad/881ca1a4684606ecb56f72bea2c70c4d
- http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/deathmatch/v-z/zdm_14.zip
coop: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/s-u/tdevil2.zip

And I've found a TON of decent vanilla stuff on idgames as well, I can send a zip if anyone needs even more fresh turf.

I wanna play deathmatch in Ultimate Doom. No pwads, just UDoom (with -ignoreversion). I wanna play against someone good. GZDoom bots are...they're not Zandronum or STBots...

In chocolate doom.

Mrs. Nesbitt said:

If I can't get the ethernet card to work, I will go somewhere that has a phone line and call you with my modem. It will be the best possible Doom deathmatch experience.

Honestly it would probably be better if we got something like ifrag, something that would convert the ipx to tcp/ip.

Guys, in chocolate doom, I will be trying to start a server.

Here's the IP. If you can't get on, wait 3-5minutes before retrying.

Doom 2 Cooperative.

I like that idea, we should also get a chocolate doom death match server going.

Would it be possible for vanilla doom players to connect too? Could really get a classic doom scene going.

I had it on, but turned it off. Anyone want to set a server up? My android has a bad wifi unless I play at 2:30AM. I can try to play 'round that time.

If you want to run a server then I suggest you run a dedicated server. There are several already:

http://master.chocolate-doom.org/

You'll need the chocolate-server binary, or just use chocolate-doom with -dedicated on the command line.

terminus12 said:

wait there's a chocolate doom irc?

irc.oftc.net #chocolate-doom

What are those KravServ and Pi servers?

EDIT:
I can host GZDoom servers! IP is the same! Doom 2. No Mods, 4 Players, Deathmatch w/ no monsters!!

Hurry up and join people!! (You type in "-join <myiphere>" without quotes in the commandline)

I shut it down. Nobody joined in a half hour.