Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Applying Tags to Linedefs

I loaded up two copies of DeePSea, one to see the tags on certain sectors (such as one that allows to the floor to lift 8 out of the floor), and I noticed that they had certain tags such as Tag 18.
I tried this out in a level I had made. I applied Tag #18 to a certain sector but for some reason, it said that Tag 18 was missing. Same with all the other tags. So, how do I apply sector tags and get DeePsea to recognize them?

Sorry I've managed to confuse anyone.

When you apply tags you have to tag the line and the sector the same number. Tag numbers are not important, just choose any free one.

This way the game knows when you flip the switch or cross the line or whatever, that you want the sector to perform a certain task based on the line type such as operate lift, raise floor, operate doors, lights etc.

Then apply the tag number to the sector you want to do something to, such as raise floor, Lift, turn on lights etc.

The line tag tells the sector what to do. So both the sector you want to "operate" and the line must have the same tag number. Be sure that when you tag the line you are in line mode and for the sector tag be sure you are in sector mode.

There is no need to tag a door if you asign the lines in the door as a door. About the only time you do tag a door sector is when you want a switch (walking, shooting, or switch type) somewhere else to open or close a door.

If still confused the tutorial in Deepsea can show you this in 5 minutes.

Exactly what he said, the tag number doesn't matter at all, except in certain levels (like the Mancubus thing in Map 7 Doom2 is Tag# 666). You just have to give the same number to the activater, and the thing that gets activated. Then you have to tell it what kind of thing you want it to do (lower floor, lift, etc).

Almost forgot to add that once you assign the tags to the line and the sector, (this ties them together) you MUST also assign a line type to the switch/line, NOT sector. This is what tells the game what action to perform to the sector when you activate the switch with walking, guns, or flipping a switch.

Line types always tell the sector what to do. The tags tell the game what sector to do it to.