Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PRIMEVAL

8-16 bit Music Replacements

One day I got bored and recorded the entire Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 soundtracks into two different oldschool style music replacement WADs to be played along with your game in ZDoom (or any port that supports OGG music format). It's not OPL, but still a nice classic sound. First set is the PC or Genesis style 16-bit, has more varying samples but still at a low / oldschool quality. The second set is similar to that of the NES or Gameboy 8-bit sound. Pick your poison.

Current Issues:
-I didn't have all the 128 instruments in these formats so they'll be missing in some songs (notably the Taiko and Synth drums). Most of the silences from that issue have been cut out to have more fluid movement, especially in terms of looping.
-Unfortunately they are hefty downloads (ranging from 50-100mb), so I kept them as separate downloads.

DOWNLOADS:
16-bit PC / Genesis style
16-BitDoom
16-BitDoom2

8-bit NES / Gameboy style
NESDoom1
NESDoom2

Videos coming soon for those who prefer to hear it before they download it.

Wow, listening to the first one so far and loving it. The FM drums are the weak point with classic OPL playback IMO, so these are a nice improvement while still keeping the FM-style sound. Nice work. I'll have to check out the NES ones later.

These give back old school vibes for those who grew up with video games in the 80s and 90s. Great job Primeval.

It was actually pretty simple. Most of the effort was in finding time to sit through the recordings :P Glad you two like it!

are these done authentically? as in, using proper equipment instead of using one of those many chiptune soundfonts that are out there?

Doomhuntress said:

are these done authentically? as in, using proper equipment instead of using one of those many chiptune soundfonts that are out there?

Unfortunately I don't have such equipment to do these things, I just used various soundfonts and samples.

Would it be possible to put together a soundfont so that other MIDI music gets this treatment automatically?

plums said:

Would it be possible to put together a soundfont so that other MIDI music gets this treatment automatically?

I can try that. However, people like me will have to deal with lagtimes for loading such soundfonts. It's just easier loading up audio files for music in my case. But perhaps I can throw something together someday.

Yeah large soundfonts hurt my system a bit too. But it's more flexible for other music. Would also be fun to hear Heretic/Hexen this way, if only for a laugh.

Minor complaint: attack on the bass sound of E1M7 is way too slow.

plums said:

Yeah large soundfonts hurt my system a bit too. But it's more flexible for other music. Would also be fun to hear Heretic/Hexen this way, if only for a laugh.

Even small soundfonts lag for me, and sometimes even crashes my game (usually ZDoom ports). It's sorta annoying. Large OGG files can load quickly and smoothly yet tiny, low quality soundfonts can wreck havoc for me... derp.

And I tried Heretic with this. It was amusing to say the least x)

What are you using exactly to load the soundfonts? ZDoom comes with native support for FluidSynth and TiMidity++, and you can also install drivers like BASSMIDI. One of them has to give better performances!

Gez said:

What are you using exactly to load the soundfonts? ZDoom comes with native support for FluidSynth and TiMidity++, and you can also install drivers like BASSMIDI. One of them has to give better performances!

I'm using BassMIDI right now. Timidity also had lag issues. I haven't tried FluidSynth yet, though.

EDIT
I just managed to get Fluidsynth working, and it does work better so far. Still some delay when the song starts but nowhere near as noticeable. Well, there's that... still, I'm sure people can find use out of these WADs x)

I really hate to sound like a douchebag but these aren't actually 8-bit/16-bit renditions, all you did was slap RecFreeMedia's lackluster and overused soundfonts onto the IWADs' midi files and called them 8-bit/16-bit. That's about as valid as people who take midis off VGMusic, throw them into GSXCC, and call them their own 8-bit renditions.

Granted, I have been guilty of this too in the past, but at least when I did it, I used VOPM (a VST plugin that emulates the YM2162 FM chip) and tried to stay true to the YM2162's limitations as close as possible.

Here's an example of an actual FM rendition of Doom's music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB9jIHWuums

Patch93 said:

I really hate to sound like a douchebag but these aren't actually 8-bit/16-bit renditions, all you did was slap RecFreeMedia's lackluster and overused soundfonts onto the IWADs' midi files and called them 8-bit/16-bit. That's about as valid as people who take midis off VGMusic, throw them into GSXCC, and call them their own 8-bit renditions.

Granted, I have been guilty of this too in the past, but at least when I did it, I used VOPM (a VST plugin that emulates the YM2162 FM chip) and tried to stay true to the YM2162's limitations as close as possible.

Here's an example of an actual FM rendition of Doom's music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB9jIHWuums

As I've stated, I only used soundfonts and samples, I couldn't actually make proper 8/16-bit x) It's just in the likeness of it.

Just found out about this project thanks to your LowRes Doom project.

Although I got to say, the music - especially the 16-bit addons - works really well with Contra Doom too!

Is someone able to convert the old original PCSpeaker sounds to something that works with sourceports? That would make things perfect if you use ChibiDoom, LowRes Doom and 8bit music :)

1 hour ago, Tormentor667 said:

Is someone able to convert the old original PCSpeaker sounds to something that works with sourceports? That would make things perfect if you use ChibiDoom, LowRes Doom and 8bit music :)

The PC Speaker sounds play through Slade. One could attempt to record them through a sound capture device and save them as .wav files. 

The PC speaker sounds are TXT files IIRC. At least that's what I can tell by looking at Freedoom's sounds directory

Deutex can create these PC speaker lumps from WAVs within a WAD, but not the other way around. They're not even audio files.

On samedi 14 octobre 2017 at 0:02 PM, Remmirath said:

The PC Speaker sounds play through Slade. One could attempt to record them through a sound capture device and save them as .wav files. 

SLADE can also directly convert them to WAV format, which is basically how it plays them in the first place.

22 hours ago, Voros said:

The PC speaker sounds are TXT files IIRC. At least that's what I can tell by looking at Freedoom's sounds directory.

No, they definitely aren't TXT files. They're a binary list of raw numerical values. See PC speaker sound effects on the Doom Wiki.