Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rabidrage

Article four in the console playthrough extravaganza

My latest article is up, and it's all about JagDoom. There's also a bit of history, capturing the end of 1994 in all its glory. There are probably some things not everyone will agree with, and if I got any of the facts wrong, I'm open to polite correction. It'll help make things more interesting when I write the next one! Also, anybody with more tech knowledge than me who wants to educate me on some basics of hardware/software interactions and the like should feel free to start--but slowly, please! :P

http://www.talesntangents.com/journey-to-the-future-of-doom-part-4.html

Interesting read.

I didn't know about Jag Doom's extra features until now, I also think the good old PSX port was a ancestor of Jag Doom (I may be wrong though).

Pretty sure PSX Doom is in fact a descendant of Jag Doom.

I also liked the bit about the Jaguar's coloration choices. I wish someone would make a mod that replaces some of the more eye-rape screen tints with their Jaguar equivalents.

mrthejoshmon said:

I also think the good old PSX port was a ancestor of Jag Doom (I may be wrong though).

Other way around. The Jaguar port is the ancestor of the 3DO, GBA, PSX, and 32X ports. The PSX port, in turn, is the base for the Saturn and N64 ports.

mrthejoshmon- I hope the article is not misleading in any way. At the end of the article I switched to talking about Heretic, which had way more extra features than JagDoom. I found it particularly interesting since it came out a month later.

Good call on the ancestry, Gez. That's what fascinates me so much about all of this. I love to see how things developed over time as they changed hands and developers learned more/became more creative.

rabidrage's Jag Doom review said:

They can also kill enemies at the top of platforms from the floor at the bottom.

That isn't a bug in the console ports; radius attacks in Vanilla Doom have no Z height limit.

Various sourceports such as ZDoom and Doomsday change this with options to restore the original behaviour.

Isn't Jag Doom just PSX Doom without the music? (With Jag Doom being the "older brother" to the PSX port. I think it was the only Jaguar game the AVGN liked.