Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doominator2

Meaning of name Ur?

So I noticed a few villains from games that their name ended with Ur
(Dagoth Ur, The Elder Scrolls III Morrowind) (Didact Ur, Halo 4)
I dont know if this is a coincident or not but I would like to know if the word Ur has a meaning or anything.

Ur was a great Sumerian city and its name was derived from the Sumerian word for "god". It's foreign and incomprehensible enough for our ears to get a little malevolent sound to it, so smartass scriptwriters mass-produce evil demigods out of it. Still better than the abuse of "Baal".

And then there's the eternal debate between "your", "you're" and the "ur" and "ure" variants, which after all those years, the 1337 Elders of the Internet haven't been able to solve.

This is even more off topic but on the subject of silly alien names, how about the Go'au'uld from Stargate? Even most of the actors can't pronounce it and call them "the Goold". Always makes me chuckle. It's not even that difficult to say it right.

Ah, the Stargates, three of the best science fiction shows ever. (Except Atlantis seasons 4 and 5, which were little short of pantomime bollocks.)

MajorRawne said:

This is even more off topic but on the subject of silly alien names, how about the Go'au'uld from Stargate? Even most of the actors can't pronounce it and call them "the Goold". Always makes me chuckle. It's not even that difficult to say it right.

Ah, the Stargates, three of the best science fiction shows ever. (Except Atlantis seasons 4 and 5, which were little short of pantomime bollocks.)

It's a running joke in SG1 that no-one can pronounce it correctly. Goold is the short lazy form most people settle back on.
P.S. it's Goa'uld (pronounced go-ah-oold)

Is it actually a running joke? I just thought they let people call them that because nobody could say it properly.

MajorRawne said:

Is it actually a running joke? I just thought they let people call them that because nobody could say it properly.

Well I think it was for the first season. Everyone certainly can pronounce it properly, it's not like the actors are incapable of pronouncing it or anything. O'neill certainly does on occasion, Teal'c always does, Daniel usually does. Usually it's the American military types who don't bother to try. And O'neill because he's lazy. It's more an in-character laziness in general. It's a hard word to say so it gets shortened. Same with the Zat guns -

Oneill: What did you say these were called?
Teal'c: Zatnikatels
Oneill: Sooo... "Zats", then.

Also I don't think the goa'uld "let" people call them anything, really. What with being egomaniacal parasitic overlords and all.

Spergin bout stargate in here.

Waffenak said:

Maybe it's voltage multiplied with radius, some new weird physics formula

So that's what voltmeter stands for.

Stargate SG1: Strong enough to withstand the loss of Jack O'neill, with possibly the best sci-fi mythology and some of the best villains. Funny, clever, superbly acted.

Stargate Atlantis: The most terrifying enemy in science fiction apart from the Borg, though like the Borg, the Wraith were reduced to pantomime villains. Brilliant expansion of the Stargate mythos with an ill-fitting team that somehow just works, and Ronan being a total badass.

Stargate Universe: Probably the best acted and most under rated piece of science fiction I've ever heard of. Watched at the rate of one episode a week it seems boring, and it's kind of an indictment of whiny Americans all wanting their own way at the expense of everyone else, but watched back to back it's almost unbelievably compelling, especially when the soldiers and civilians finally start to work together and Dr Rush unlocks the secret of the Destiny.

Ur in Dagoth Ur, means that he might still be a mad demigod trying to build giant golem to conquer tamriel, but at least he does not take such insane ammount of skooma like Vivec!

Sokoro said:

Ur in Dagoth Ur, means that he might still be a mad demigod trying to build giant golem to conquer tamriel, but at least he does not take such insane ammount of skooma like Vivec!

No wonder he locks him self in his chamber all day!