Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
garrettlynch

Some questions about the player

Hi

I have some questions about the player (the avatar) and what can be done in multiplayer games - the first isn't Doom editing however it's related to question(s) 2 and ultimately whether I can edit to achieve what I'm trying to do. I'm using the Doomsday Engine for running my wad so solutions to the questions that might only be specific to Doomsday are fine but it would be good to know if they will equally work in other environments.

1) When entering a multiplayer game how do you change your name? Can't seem to edit the name field and it defaults to theplayer for every player which is a little confusing for chat.

2) I noticed that when entering a multiplayer game you can choose the colour of your player (red or blue if I remember correctly). Again had difficultly actually doing this but my questions here are; are these different colour players actually different sprites or is it something Doomsday is doing e.g. some sort of colorisation? If different sprites is there a way to only allow one of the players to use one of the player variations e.g. the multiplayer admin can only be red or some solution via some script?

If anyone has details on any of these I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.
Garrett

I've never played multiplayer with Doomsday and only have minimal experience with it in SP. I don't know if this will help you or not...

garrettlynch said:

1) When entering a multiplayer game how do you change your name? Can't seem to edit the name field and it defaults to theplayer for every player which is a little confusing for chat.

You should be able to press ENTER and then type a new name? If you can't try bringing up the console (with ~ or ` I think) and type 'net-name garrettlynch' or whatever, without the quotes.

2) I noticed that when entering a multiplayer game you can choose the colour of your player (red or blue if I remember correctly). Again had difficultly actually doing this but my questions here are; are these different colour players actually different sprites or is it something Doomsday is doing e.g. some sort of colorisation? If different sprites is there a way to only allow one of the players to use one of the player variations e.g. the multiplayer admin can only be red or some solution via some script?

You should be able to choose from at least 4 colours in the player setup: green, grey (called 'indigo'), red, and brown. This is just recolouring the same player sprite (vanilla Doom does this also) and I don't think there's a way to force a player to a certain colour. If all players are on automatic colour, then the player hosting the game should probably be green, and the next will be grey.

Some ports (Zandronum) have support for different player sprites but I really don't know anything about it beyond that.

I do not know how many of these are implemented in Doomsday.

Doom Legacy expanded upon the standard multiplayer modes and interface.

Many of the game join attributes are specified on the command line.
There also is a Multiplayer menu that allows the player to select their color, join a team, or make other choices.
The server starts the multiplayer games and is the only one that can set the game mode (coop, deathmatch), select team play, or kick out players.

It changes the GREEN in the player sprite to other colors.
It expanded this to also allow team or individual skins (like leprechaun).

plums said:

You should be able to press ENTER and then type a new name? If you can't try bringing up the console (with ~ or ` I think) and type 'net-name garrettlynch' or whatever, without the quotes.

Ah yes, I was looking at the wrong menu I can see it now and setname does it in game.

plums said:

You should be able to choose from at least 4 colours in the player setup: green, grey (called 'indigo'), red, and brown. This is just recolouring the same player sprite (vanilla Doom does this also) and I don't think there's a way to force a player to a certain colour. If all players are on automatic colour, then the player hosting the game should probably be green, and the next will be grey.

the host always seems to come up brown on mine unless I specify a colour.

plums said:

Some ports (Zandronum) have support for different player sprites but I really don't know anything about it beyond that.

Thanks for your help, it sorted out one issue for me. Anyone else have details about how different player sprites might be possible in Doomsday?

thanks in advance
Garrett

wesleyjohnson said:

Doom Legacy expanded upon the standard multiplayer modes and interface.

I've just looked at Legacy documentation quickly, not sure I fully understand how to use it. It seems to add functionality to an existing version of Doom but is that as a stand alone i.e. an exe or can it by the wad run through Doomsday?

thanks
Garrett

Visit us at: http://doomlegacy.sourceforge.net/

What is DoomLegacy: http://doomlegacy.sourceforge.net/legacy.shtml

Doom Legacy is one of the older ports, which started with porting to Linux, Mac, OS2, and adding features like full looking, jumping, 3d floors, Heretic, Chexquest, Boom, 32 player deathmatch, skins, teams, and other enhancements.
Doom Legacy 1.44 is the latest continuation with more features, and many bug fixes.
Doom Legacy 2.0 is a version that went to C++, added Hexen, but lost momentum at coding the network play.

It is a fully functional standalone port of Doom, Heretic, Chexquest.
The closest derivation ancestor was a linux doom from back in the 90's.