Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CeeJay

[EDGE] CeeJay's Star Wars/Dark Forces mod (RELEASE)

A Star Wars/Dark Forces themed gameplay mod for EDGE. Weapons, items, enemies and new gameplay mechanics.

VIDEOS

Spoiler

DOWNLOADS:

CeeJay's Star Wars/Dark Forces gameplay mod version 0.0.1
https://www.mediafire.com/file/xchby2tyfsei97n/dfdoom.wad/file
Requires EDGE 1.35 or later.

Optional texture pack
https://www.mediafire.com/file/z3y1hkjkt10mw7k/dfdoom_optional_textures.wad/file
Replaces DOOM & DOOM 2 textures with more Star Wars-eque ones, completely optional. Credits included inside the WAD.

Enemy replacement customisation patch
https://www.mediafire.com/file/mlp88aj24n0ttrs/dfdoom_nme_swap.wad/file
If you don't like the enemy replacements, use this to customise which enemy replaces which or none at all. Instructions included inside the WAD and it must be loaded after DFDOOM.WAD.

CREDITS

Spoiler

id Software
Doom, Doom 2, etc.

LucasArts
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith
Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

Raven Software
Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

3D Realms
Duke Nukem 3D

Sunstorm Interactive
Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project

Apogee Software
Rise of the Triad

Marv Mays (kamikaze@bright.net)
Hoth Trooper sprites

Patrick Haslow (pod15@owc.net)
Tusken Raider sprites

Patrick Haslow (pod15@owc.net) & Matthew Hallaron (mhallaron@yahoo.com)
Scout/Biker Trooper & Patrol Droid

Peter Klassen (ppklassen@aol.com) & Jereth Kok (jereth@alphalink.com.au)
Jetpack Trooper

Allen Newman (magicaldf@geocities.com)
Concussion Commando

Lobo
EMUS

"Scuba" Steve
Base lightsaber sprites

Xim
Lightsaber

Willkuer
Bowcaster sprites

Edited by CeeJay

That works pretty nicely. There are some things in there that I hadn't seen before too (e.g. Tusken raider). No Dark Trooper MkIII Assault Cannon though. :(

The idling frame for the light sabre is not widescreen friendly.

And (second time in 2 days for a release) please put your WADs inside an archive such as a zip or 7z. It's not such a big deal here (compared with the one I moaned about yesterday - which was 23MB) but putting your WAD into a 7z file reduces its size by over 3MB and that could be important to someone.

Oh hello there, porting my favourite game's content to Doom. Let's see how this-

Enjay said:

light sabre

Hsssssssss! Away, away with your sellout trinkets!

FireFish said:

are you refering to hyper3dge ?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/edge2/

i just want to make sure im downloading the correct one.

That is correct.

Enjay said:

That works pretty nicely. There are some things in there that I hadn't seen before too (e.g. Tusken raider). No Dark Trooper MkIII Assault Cannon though. :(

I've never been a fan of the Assault Cannon and don't see the need for it, it's just a shoulder mounted plasma gun/rocket launcher. There is enough explosive weapons in the arsenal as it is. For me, the Concussion Rifle has always been the BFG of Dark Forces.

Enjay said:

The idling frame for the light sabre is not widescreen friendly.

I know, nothin' I can do about it. I've given it a try in the past with lackluster results.

Enjay said:

And (second time in 2 days for a release) please put your WADs inside an archive such as a zip or 7z. It's not such a big deal here (compared with the one I moaned about yesterday - which was 23MB) but putting your WAD into a 7z file reduces its size by over 3MB and that could be important to someone.

From my experience it doesn't cut down much on size when packing a single file. Besides, it is not a very big file, nowhere near 23MB.

CeeJay said:

I know, nothin' I can do about it. I've given it a try in the past with lackluster results.

Fair enough. Beyond my graphics editing skills too.

CeeJay said:

From my experience it doesn't cut down much on size when packing a single file. Besides, it is not a very big file, nowhere near 23MB.

In my experience, Doom WADs generally do compress quite a bit:

Forces.WAD = 6,078,687 bytes
Forces.7z = 2,255,810 bytes

OK, so neither are big files by today's standards but why not compress it and make life easier for people who do have Internet connection issues?

Shame about the assault cannon. I can't say that I particularly disagree with your opinion of it but I personally would like to see it just for the sake of completeness. Mind you, it's also unlikely to be widescreen friendly.

After playing the first two doom 2 maps with this weapon pack i must admit that this is that type of 'am i allowed to find this fun' mods.
The speed at which things die is doubled with these settings and weapons. It is very funny to see some imperials coming out of the weirdest corners of the map as if they could live there like a zombie.

Well managed sprite replacement.

Some gameplay footage of the current build with custom texture pack.

Counterattack MAP01 (https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/m-o/mek-catk)

Breach (https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/a-c/breach)

Both of the videos use 3rd party map sets, Breach.wad and Counterattack: they are not actually part of the mod.

Part of the beauty of this mod is that you can load it with any mapset you want and the textures will be automatically replaced with the mods textures. You can just load up doom2.wad and you'll get a shiny new Star Wars experience.

Spoiler

Edited by Lobo

10 hours ago, Lobo said:

Both of the videos use 3rd party map sets ..... they are not actually part of the mod.

Thanks for the explanation.

10 hours ago, Lobo said:

You can just load up doom2.wad and you'll get a shiny new Star Wars experience.

That makes it even more frikkinly (is that even a word?) awesome.

Yeah, the levels are 3rd party WADs. The custom texture pack will most likely be released alongside the mod though. Whenever that is.

12 hours ago, Lobo said:

You can just load up doom2.wad and you'll get a shiny new Star Wars experience.

:)

Spoiler

Are you saying that... there is another Star Wars mod out there ? Wow, and here I was thinking that this was the only ever Star Wars themed mod for Doom. I suppose I'll just have to delete all my progress and abandon the whole project then.

Better get onto the Aliens Eradication guy too: I'm pretty sure I saw another Aliens mod a few years back...Justin somethingOrOther did it.

😂

Some random screenshots of the mod being played with an old megawad.

xs2CSro.png
KQacmYi.png
ZhiP0Wb.png
1hG8oht.png
gSu8474.png
Ckmy67e.png
4b3DvU4.png
l8KlS3n.png
Bm9wnRt.png

Edited by CeeJay

Thanks to Lobo's EMUS getting some really useful features involving image offsetting, essentially making the process a breeze, the majority of the old sprites will be converted into PNG images. In earlier versions of the mod, most of the sprites were in Doom format, forced into its pallette. The main benefit of this is that their original palette can now be preserved.

Some notable examples. Left is the old DOOM format, right is with the original pallette.
83S0e0c.png
n3rrQ5U.png

Glad you found EMUS useful.

And thank you for all the feedback and testing you did during development of the new sprite offsetting stuff.

You are very much welcome.

Version 0.0.1 is now up for download.