Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

List your 3 favorite cocktails

If you were only allowed to drink 3 types of cocktails for the rest of your live, which ones would you pick (if you only drink 1 or 2 just list those)?

For me it would be:

Mojito
Gin Rickey
Apple Martini

Whisky
Rum
Tequila

Yes I have to be "that guy" that drinks everything as is.

There's an incredibly hipster place my friends and I go to for the cheap cocktails and wide range of beers they have in... Shame it's otherwise crap, but oh well! They do the one I find easiest to drink, which is an Irish Monkey - Bailey's, Banana Vodka and Milk shaken with ice, with whipped cream and chocolate powder on top. For 2 quid it's my dessert of choice :p

They also do a "Doctor Pepper" which is JD, Amaretto and Coke, IIRC.

Third is probably something like a Blue Lagoon or Purple Rain, because everywhere does those (particularly Wetherspoons, which are ubiquitous here in England!)

hardcore_gamer said:

Does that mean you drink vodka straight?

No, I only like the ones I listed. I prefer a good amount of oak in my booze, although blanco tequila is alright.

hardcore_gamer said:

Mojito
Gin Rickey
Apple Martini

Never heard of a gin Rickey, but the other two are woman drinks and you should wean yourself onto milk, then whiskey sours. Although I will admit that Mojitos are tasty.

I nearly never drink since I don't like the experience. But when I have, I've found I liked these:

Margarita
Long Island
Rum and Coke

Also (real) absinthe is really good, but I don't think that counts as a cocktail.

Mojito
B-52
Cuba Libre

...Used to be. I got over with constant drinking.

hardcore_gamer said:

There's nothing wrong with it actually.

...And drinking sambuca or absinthe without burning them is on the list of my own questionable achievements, too.

I give beer and wine more preference but if i'm in the mood for a cocktail then i usualy choose on of those....

Cuba Libre
Margarita
Zombie

When I drink alcohol I usually enjoy it in its pure form, whisky as a whisky and so on but if I have to list some drinks I would say white russian, sangria and vodka tonic

hardcore_gamer said:

As someone who driks whisky too, I actually find vodka a pretty pointless spirit. Mixed with something, it's taste is almost non-existent. However, even straight, I find it bland and if it has any real taste it is a chemically one. Something like whisky, on the other hand, has an amazing range of tastes and textures.

Of course, I could just have been drinking the wrong vodka.

"The Wrong Vodka" sounds like an ill-advised Wallace and Gromit film.

But, erm, yeah, not really a cocktails person. Perhaps a "Rusty Nail" (equal parts Drambuie and Whisky).

Adios Mother Fucker (AMF)
Cranberry + Vodka
[insert drink here]

Also, about the vodka bit above, you really need to drink a good and expensive Vodka to enjoy it. Popov or any of that cheap bullshit is downright terrible. There was also a German Vodka I drank once that was horrifyingly bad.

Mojito
Irish coffee/Irish car bomb
Red headed slut

Other favourites include long island iced tea, margaritas and agwa cocktails.

As for drinks on its own, can't beat Irish whiskey.

Krispy said:

Never heard of a gin Rickey, but the other two are woman drinks

Uhm, not they aren't. You are literally the first person I have have ever seen call a mojito a women's drink. And martini's are popular amongst both women and men alike.

Honestly the whole notion of there even being such things as "a woman's drink" is obnoxious. Just drink whatever the fuck you want. And fuck anybody who mocks you for drinking what you like.

Haha, mojito is totally a chick drink. You can't even feel the alcohol in it, it's a fancy spiked lemonade.

I enjoy white russians, but I haven't had one in ages, damn. Other than that, I prefer straight.

dew said:

Haha, mojito is totally a chick drink. You can't even feel the alcohol in it, it's a fancy spiked lemonade.

I enjoy white russians, but I haven't had one in ages, damn. Other than that, I prefer straight.

I guess this is just cultural difference then. In my country nobody sees men as being girly for liking mojitos.

"Woman drinks"? "Chick drink"?

No stereotyping here then. [whatyearisit.jpg] :P

Margarita, Rum and Coke, and Long Island Iced Tea for me. Also, I despise sexism in drinking. It's fucking childish. Like what, "Oh, you're gonna have a candy bar? Real men just gnaw on a piece of tree bark." I'm not saying there's anything wrong with drinking alcohol straight, I just don't get why whether not not you enjoy the flavor of a cocktail has anything to do with your masculinity.

Wait, did I say anything about men being girly for drinking mojitos? I think not. I find the entire cocktail industry to be aimed at women more, to make alcohol consumption more pleasant.

Actually, mojitos are okay as refreshment on a hot day.

dew said:

I find the entire cocktail industry to be aimed at women more, to make alcohol consumption more pleasant.

What alcohol consumption ever not meant to be pleasant then?

This is like when some men claim that you should not drink water before going to bed after a night of drinking because "real men just deal with their hangovers".

I seriously don't know anything about drinks. Whenever I go to the liquor store I just buy knockoff brands no ones ever heard of and either drink it straight (if possible) or put some iced tea or ginger ale or some other generic brand soda. I'm the same way with my cooking. I can cook a ton of different stuff that'll taste good and fill you up but I don't know any recipes.

White Russians
Whiskey and Coke
Slippery Nipple

Mostly just the Caucasians though. If there's no half-and-half I'll go with the whiskey (preferably Crown Royal) and coke. Otherwise I'll just start mixing stuff and see what I come up with. I once mixed Kahlua and raspberry vodka and got something that tasted EXACTLY like a raspberry Frango. Also worth mentioning is my friend's line of MLP-themed cocktails of her invention, the "Rarity" being my personal favorite - champagne and some blue citrus liqueur (with some rock candy for flavor). I've made some variations based on it.

Enjay said:

As someone who driks whisky too, I actually find vodka a pretty pointless spirit. Mixed with something, it's taste is almost non-existent. However, even straight, I find it bland and if it has any real taste it is a chemically one. Something like whisky, on the other hand, has an amazing range of tastes and textures.

I mostly agree with you on this. I've drank it straight, and it usually ends badly because it tastes like water gone bad and is made of pure gut-dissolving acid. However, its tastelessness is what makes it such a great mixer, as it adds a bite to just about any flavor.

Granted, I'm not a big fan of straight alcohol overall. Rum tastes like poison syrup. Gin is like eating a juniper bush (which I discovered was a bad idea when I was six). Tequila is slightly better than rum, but not by much. Manly-man American whiskey like Jack Daniels tastes like licking a barrel to the point that I feel that I have splinters in my tongue when I'm done with it. I basically just enjoy light whiskey and bourbon when it comes to straight alcohol (aside from liqueurs, natch).

Danarchy said:

Rum tastes like poison syrup. Gin is like eating a juniper bush (which I discovered was a bad idea when I was six). Tequila is slightly better than rum, but not by much. Manly-man American whiskey like Jack Daniels tastes like licking a barrel to the point that I feel that I have splinters in my tongue when I'm done with it. I basically just enjoy light whiskey and bourbon when it comes to straight alcohol (aside from liqueurs, natch).

I'm pretty much with you on those descriptions. I'm a fan of Scottish single malt whiskies though.