Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joe-ilya

Community project:Fit for song.

Recommended Posts

Here's another different Community project since the previous one got abandoned and was way complex I get an idea where every map is followed by a song but there are limits I would like to note;
-First of all the episode is going by a genre of music.
-Boom/Limit-removing/vanilla
-Must show what song the map is based on to ensure it's the correct genre
-Only one band/singer is allowed in the megawad, if a following band/singer was already chosen you can no longer make another one untill he drops it or whatever
-Fun
-Use this texture pack : http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=graphics/d1gfxd2.zip
E1:Hippie music/Funk
E2:Punk rock/Grunge(Punks and Grunge bands are always going around popping up shows on towns)
E3:Metal(hell is getting much better)
Secret maps(MAP31&32):Other

And by themes;
E1:Nature
E2:Town/Locations in towns (Ex. Roofs,Dumpsters)
E3:Hell
Secret maps:Whatever

Examples of maps that can be associated with songs
The ohio players - love rollercoaster ; Based around an abandoned roller coaster.
Bad religion - New leaf ; have some building in a round tower or something, everytime a round set of buildings is survived, like window to window and then a switch in the final building that then lowers that leaf around the following set.
Slayer - Raining Blood ; Self expalanory, only it's in hell.

Mappers:
E1
Joe-ilya - Gorillaz - highway(under construction)
E2
Superluigieth1 -
SteveD - Discharge - Ain't No Feeble Bastard

Share this post


Link to post
joe-ilya said:

E1:Dubstep('cause it's tech levels)

Oh god, please, no. Anything but dubstep. If you want to go for "annoying" genres of electronic music, how about something more tolerable like gabber, happy-hardcore or Europop? (to note, I actually like gabber and happy-hardcore, and I can tolerate Europop)

Still, something more subdued would be appropriate, like the kind of techno-ambiance found in Deus Ex 1.

Share this post


Link to post

how do you make dubstep in midi format anyway heh? or are you going to use mp3s

Share this post


Link to post
Sodaholic said:

Oh god, please, no. Anything but dubstep. If you want to go for "annoying" genres of electronic music, how about something more tolerable like gabber, happy-hardcore or Europop? (to note, I actually like gabber and happy-hardcore, and I can tolerate Europop)

Still, something more subdued would be appropriate, like the kind of techno-ambiance found in Deus Ex 1.

Are you gonna contrubute or just complain?
Could go for E1 being nature maps with hippie music?
EDIT: Better?

Share this post


Link to post

I really want to see an entire map take place in the interior of a dumpster now.

Share this post


Link to post
Xaser said:

I really want to see an entire map take place in the interior of a dumpster now.

Can you please make one instead of wanting to see one?
Superluigieth1 is added to the list(still needs to show what song it is inspired by.
Here's a hippie song I know I can do something with it, but I'm not sure if this will be a serious community project with at least 20 entrants, so I'll just wait untill we reach this number.

Share this post


Link to post

This is a starnge one.
Mapping "under influence" of music is too subjective. If you have seen "Doom 2 In Name Only" you probably noticed how you would do many maps differently. Of course you can build your map using lyrics but then it should be a lenghty song and somewhat repeatable episode soundtrack. Gameplay style of player can somewhat screw experience too. But hey, this can still be lots of fun.
...and now I want to see maps set to Dead Flag Blues or Death Grips. That would be ultraweird.

Share this post


Link to post

This should have a map full of mancubuses associated to Be Quick or Be Dead.

Share this post


Link to post
Gez said:

This should have a map full of mancubuses associated to Be Quick or Be Dead.
[yt]fZLv2G0Hhn4[yt]


Are you gonna do it?

Share this post


Link to post

This project would be better if it was all metal exclusive. Examples :
Powerslave - egyptian themed map
Satan Spawn, the Caco-Daemon : a map with only cacodemons
Angel of Death - Wolfenstein concentration camp
Freezing Moon - some UAC base in the moon

Share this post


Link to post
Memfis said:

How do you make dubstep in midi format anyway, heh? or are you going to use mp3s?

Not sure why everyone thinks it is such a far fetched idea, could work for a map that has its main focus on atmosphere. No Joe, I am not making a map just because I posted an opinion in this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Springy said:

No Joe, I am not making a map just because I posted an opinion in this thread.

Too many opinions, why can't people start taking slots instead of opinions, it just won't help anyone because you abandon it like many others.

Share this post


Link to post
joe-ilya said:

Too many opinions, why can't people start taking slots instead of opinions, it just won't help anyone because you abandon it like many others.

Joe , before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

Share this post


Link to post
Springy said:

Joe , before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

A map with raining blood? How can this not sound good?

Share this post


Link to post

I'm a punk rocker, and I'd be willing to make a map for a Discharge song, though oddly enough, Discharge is the punk band that launched a thousand metal bands. ;)

Would we be using MP3?

If so, I'd be happy to make a Town map for this song, and since I have the album, my MP3 is way better than this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHgMTr88RhU

Share this post


Link to post

As this clearly isn't the draw you thought it was, why not just make the project yourself? A small selection of maps to implement your idea is sufficient and, if you've got other people in too, then that's a bonus.

Share this post


Link to post

You don't have to use MP3s as it will make the megawad get to be some kind of discography that will weight a gigabyte, you just need to show the song.

Share this post


Link to post
joe-ilya said:

You don't have to use MP3s as it will make the megawad get to be some kind of discography that will weight a gigabyte, you just need to show the song.


Just for shits 'n giggles, I'll put the mp3 in the playtesting version, and upload it here along with a copy that uses the normal track for that mapslot. I'm guessing the slot I'd be in is 12 or 13, so I reckon I'll make the map for that slot, unless you'd prefer me to use the Map01 slot until it's time to put the thing together.

Stock textures only?

Share this post


Link to post
SteveD said:

Just for shits 'n giggles, I'll put the mp3 in the playtesting version, and upload it here along with a copy that uses the normal track for that mapslot. I'm guessing the slot I'd be in is 12 or 13, so I reckon I'll make the map for that slot, unless you'd prefer me to use the Map01 slot until it's time to put the thing together.

Stock textures only?

I'm fine with the MP3s in the playtest stuff, but it won't be on the final product, your map will be somewhere between 12-19 and put it somewhere in there for the SKY2 so it won't feel kinda wierd, any suggestions for textures?

Share this post


Link to post
joe-ilya said:

I'm fine with the MP3s in the playtest stuff, but it won't be on the final product, your map will be somewhere between 12-19 and put it somewhere in there for the SKY2 so it won't feel kinda wierd, any suggestions for textures?


Understood re the mp3s.

As for textures, cc4-tex.wad is my go-to, but I'll try to stick with stock for this one. I'll place the map in the Map14 slot for now. I'm going for short and bloody on this one. We'll see if I can stick with that. ;D

Share this post


Link to post
joe-ilya said:

It's overused, let's try something else.


In that case, I'll let you choose. I'm not an expert on these, though I'd love to use the lupinx-kassman textures that were not included with the cc4 texture pack. Maybe he hasn't released them for public use?

Share this post


Link to post

I love the Ultimate Doom textures, so this will work fine. I won't need anything else for this map.

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×