Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

E1M1 Beta Recreation

A few years ago somebody recreated a beta version of E1M1 from A Visit to id Software and put a link up for it on mediafire, but he's since removed the file.

Does anyone else happen to have the map on them by chance? If so I'd really appreciate it if you could send me a link.

I don't, but i've seen that same video. I tried to download, but it was gone. Shame. I thought you've might recreated it yourself. Go ahead, you can try to recreate. :P

Patch93 said:

He most likely doesn't have it anymore, but it would be awesome if John Romero leaked the November beta that was shown in that "a visit to id Software" video.

He might still have it, he showed a few years ago a picture of an archival CD he had found with a ton of development backups on it.

Furthermore, it might also be found here. They have a ton of betas, including of non-Apogee titles like Doom and Strife.

Jaws In Space said:

I always new there must have been a door by the green armor at one point, glad to see I was right.

And I thought that your Switcheroom E1M1 map had an intentional reference to this. Or was it subconscious? :)

Guest Unregistered account

Ah, so that crap gun-firing sound effect used in YoYoGames' 3D Engine example does come from an FPS! Kinda...

I also really like this E1M1, about the same amount as the finished version :)

In fact, I love the Alpha versions too - the ones which would later have portions ported to E2M7: The Spawning Vats in the finished version. Seems I have a thing for all things E1M1!

Great post, extremely interesting as I've never seen the Beta version of this level before.

Well, that was an interesting video. Those sound effects made me laugh a bit. I mean really, the Zombieman's scream was bloody ridiculous. The shotgun barely sounds like a shotgun. That level looks rather interesting, yet incomplete.

I like it.

Guest Unregistered account

Man, this makes me want to dive into Doom Builder 2 and make a custom E1M1 again :)

Joe667 said:

Ah, so that crap gun-firing sound effect used in YoYoGames' 3D Engine example does come from an FPS! Kinda...

Assuming the death screams and gunshot come from the same source, there's no "kinda" about it - that's the SNES version of Wolfenstein 3D.

I did once try myself, but it's unfinished. The only thing left that needs to be done is to recreate the north room in full detail. I used the 1.0 shareware version as a basis. I chose to delete the original secret area behind the lowering platform the imps stood on (which also no longer lowers), as I figured the armor room served as a secret. The original video is too blurry to tell if there was a gap (and if there wasn't but the room was still there, we wouldn't know).

Feel free to use my version as a basis if you want to complete it, but please credit me if you do.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=09397729799759084177

On 22/4/2014 at 6:16 AM, Marnetmar said:

A few years ago somebody recreated a beta version of E1M1 from A Visit to id Software and put a link up for it on mediafire, but he's since removed the file.

Does anyone else happen to have the map on them by chance? If so I'd really appreciate it if you could send me a link.

Found it on my old hard disk!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/lffoimljmmww15n/e1m1beta.wad for the beta map

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0946ep9odzz4a9l/doom93.wad for the beta sounds (Wolf3D SNES sounds)

Edited by Anonymous3000 : Updated dead links

On 4/22/2014 at 2:31 AM, Gez said:

He might still have it, he showed a few years ago a picture of an archival CD he had found with a ton of development backups on it.

Furthermore, it might also be found here. They have a ton of betas, including of non-Apogee titles like Doom and Strife.

Where are these so-called Strife alphas/betas? I would really like to get ahold of these (and I am furthermore authorized to handle them regardless of any copyright concerns, vis-a-vis my relationship with NDS). I don't have the patience to search through the entire 73 pages of that thread to get any additional info on whether or not they were ever recovered.