Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Random Deaths & Decoration (1.5 released!)

I'm looking for the non-BD colored Caco death frames I'm currently using, if anyone knows please let me know.

Bump.

1.2 is being tested and should come soon. Notable implementations would be some smooth monster animations and projectiles, one demon death finally fixed and working, existing mirrored death animations with better offsets, demon gib frames, two new zombie sounds added and extra quit sounds.

Like I mentioned previously in the OP, I will not add anything to alter player weapons so you can load up something like Russian Overkill or Perk's smooth weapons if you want.

Small update!

Got Zandronum support mostly working with separate monster and decoration files. However, the random decorations do not work but the monster module works well.

Will 1.2 get original colored Caco? I have some off-cast from the caco in my wad - and when mixed with the off-color caco it looks a bit off. Would it be possible to get back the original colors by doing color-recode?
Lovely wad btw - neat way to add some spice to this old game =)

Just a tip - I made a small change to the demon deaths. I added GibHealth 50 to it - and made the lost arm and the overkill deaths triggered when the demon is killed hard - since it always looked strange to punch the pigs arm off or slush it with the pistol.. A good tweak in my opinion =)

I am still confused on how to get the color swapping since I can't find as many regular (and decent) Caco deaths so the tomato color sticks for now.

I set the Gibhealth to a negative because the last time I had in a positive it just used it when I killed him with an SSG/SG attack often and it looked silly.

Cam: How did you do that, may I ask?

I started out disabling the most brutal versions of demon deaths..

Death:
//TNT1 A 0 A_Jump(32, "AltDeath") //Lost arm death
TNT1 A 0 A_Jump(64, "AltDeath2") //Reverse death
TNT1 A 0 A_Jump(64, "AltDeath3", "AltDeath4") //Headshot death
//TNT1 A 0 A_Jump(10, "AltDeath5", "AltDeath6") //Overkill death

and made an xdeath like:

XDeath:
TNT1 A 0 A_Jump(256, "AltDeath", "AltDeath5", "AltDeath6") //Lost arm death, Overkill death plus reversed
Stop

Then I placed a GibHealth of say 50 - since the shotgun can do at least 70 dmg you might wish to set the GibHealth to 75 to avoid such gibings - while the SSG inflicts almost as much dmg as a rocket - and thus can also give the brutal healt.. maybe there is a way to buypass this I dont know - but its still better to have a dmg-buffer so that only hard kills can activate the brutal death versions =)

As for the caco... it seems the lower red colors in the doom palette has been moved to the middle red ones for the brutal doom caco.. the problem is that this is the same colors used for the main face of the caco.. meaning going the reverse way would also reverse the face to bright red - which should remain ketchupy... I think the way to go would be to use color conversion on the brutal doom caco frames.. then mix them with the brutal caco again.. to keep the brutal main face - and the outline of the conversed caco.. I asume this explenation was a mess.... It would be some hours of work likely at least..

I am trying to find a good way for colorswap now.. So far I went to find which colors are swapped to which - and then made a version of the original caco frames where all swapped colors are made all black - so I can use it as an overlay between the brutal caco, and the one converted back.. I'll see if I can get that over to the new frames to make it less of a pixel per pixel job..

Ok, I think I will remake those sprites.. I made a way to do it fairly accurate now - and the H3D2C0 sprite was 3 minutes to remake that way - so I'll try with the rest.. Some is likely more complicated - but I prepared all the frames for this conversion and hope to get it done within a few hours =)

Thanks, I appreciate your contributions and will include this in 1.2 (and credit) if it is done by the time BD v20 is out.

I think its done now.. I'll take it for a test-drive.
Just need to throw the sprites into the wad.
PM me your email address and I'll mail you a wad containing only the new caco sprites so you can implement them

The new sprites looks just like the old ones =) The cacos now got their alternate death's while still blending in perfectly with the offspring demon =)

1.2 Release Candidate 1 is out. It should be 1.2 final sometime in December.

Also, the ZDoom topic thread is more active than the one here so I would recommend keeping an eye on that.

Version 1.5 available on ModDB right now!

Edit: If anyone downloaded the file earlier and uses Zandronum, please redownload the archive as I fixed the issue with non-randomization semi-issue with gore/decorations.

I've played 14 megawads with this mod, it's become a permanent staple in my Dooming. I guess I should get the new version now, looking forward to playing with the added rotations.

Great mod man. Everything that's good about Smooth Doom without the extra lag causing gibs. Now I can kill 1000 monsters in one room and not run at 20 FPS. Cheers!

Check that you're using the latest version as I fixed and tweaked a few things on the ModDB page.

I've noticed that this isn't compatible with Map 29 of Going Down. Normally, after you kill the spider mastermind on that level, a very strong red spider mastermind spawns, and the level finishes after you kill it. With this loaded, the red boss dies almost instantly and the level doesn't end at that point.