Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TendaMonsta

Making a demon fire a bfg with a Dehacked patch

I've seen this in a vanilla Doom wad called Strain, and I've never been able to figure out how to get it to work.

I've tried getting the Zombie Men to do it as at test but the results are pretty awkward

Here is the dehacked file if you want to test it out hands on.

On Prboom-plus they sometimes shoot the ball, but it's pretty random in the direction it will fly.

In Zdoom they don't even fire anything.

Eternity doesn't even load.

I haven't looked at the Dehacked patch.

Badguy code pointers can't be used by the player and player weapon code pointers can be used by bad guys.

You need to take a bad guy projectile and modify it to look and act like the BFG projectile.

I believe the only exception to the above is A_BrainPain, that can be used as either.

I believe what Strain did was replace one of the enemy projectiles with the BFG shot: the BFGSpray action isn't exclusive to just the player, so you can stick it on without calamity. Make sure you don't use the BFGSound action on the monster though, as it can make some source ports bomb out. If you want an example, here's a wad I made a few months back that features some of my more interesting DeHackEd machinations, BFG-shooting Spider Demolisher included.

I usually sacrifice the Arachnotron projectile by replacing it with the BFG shot, and give Arachnotrons another attack, such as Archvile-style sniping.

Obsidian said:

I believe what Strain did was replace one of the enemy projectiles with the BFG shot: the BFGSpray action isn't exclusive to just the player, so you can stick it on without calamity. Make sure you don't use the BFGSound action on the monster though, as it can make some source ports bomb out. If you want an example, here's a wad I made a few months back that features some of my more interesting DeHackEd machinations, BFG-shooting Spider Demolisher included.

It's actually pretty amazing how much stuff we have in common with the dehacked files. I mean, it's not much but it is surprising.