Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdagenet

Strange Single-Player Lag on Mac

Hello,
When I start a single-player game in a source-port on my MacBook Pro, the game lags.
It shows that I get an average 200+ FPS during single-player gameplay but when I play online, the lag goes away with the same 200+ FPS.
This happens with all the source-ports I have tried: ZDoom, GZDoom, and Zandronum.

Here is my MacBook specs:

• Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
  • Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB
  • Software: OS X 10.9.2
I'm not sure what is causing this strange lag because as I have mentioned before, the lag completely goes away when I play online.

Could anyone here please give me some pointers on what is going on here?
Thanks in advance.

Do you have a retina display Mac? I've experienced low frame rate with some source ports and with DOSbox. You might try this:

• Open the Applications folder in the Finder.
  • Click the icon of the source port.
  • Choose File -> Get Info from the menu. A window will appear with information about the application.

• Check the "Open in Low Resolution" box and close the window.
  • Double click the application and it should run smoothly now.
Let me know if this helps.

Yes, I am running Retina Display, sorry for not putting that in the OP.

Sadly, this didn't help.
I tried this method on both GZDoom and Zandronum and it didn't seem to help the unexplained lag.

If I join an online game with Doomseeker and then start playing a single-player game, it runs smoothly. If I start a single-player game from the Finder by double-clicking the app, it gives me this lag.
It very strange.
Thanks for the information though.

Try a lower Doom resolution. To be fair, drawing 2880x1800 pixels (or doing any such operations) in software mode without parallelism can still take time, too much for a frame. And I'm not sure if fullscreen mode is even affected by the "low-resolution mode" setting.

I tried messing around with the resolution and fullscreen setting and I did not experience any improvement.

Yes, that was one of the first things I did because it was limiting my FPS to 60.
Upon disabling vertical sync, my FPS jumped up to the 200's but the choppy lag still remained.

Interestingly I was having similar problems with Doom Legacy on my mac book. I posted a thread in source ports and haven't found much of an answer. It could be a computer issue then, if you're experiencing something similar with other ports.

Have you tried playing other games on your MacBook to see if the problem occurs?

I can play other games such as Minecraft just fine without any lag.
It almost seems as if the lag occurs when I launch the source-port through the Finder or something. When the source-port launches via Doomseeker, no lag.
I've also opened the source-port through the Terminal but it has no affect.

I sure hope it's not a computer issue, it was a $2,500 MacBook :P.

go to nvidia control panel and change the 3d settings to use your gpu. im guessing its using the integrated one

I think the Nvidia Control Panel is only available on a Windows operating system.
If one does exist on a Mac, I have no idea where it's located.

Other games have worked fine for me too. Though I mostly use the book for FTL or Poker Night now days, and not much else.