Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
peach freak

Should I always use WR Teleport lines in dummy sectors w/ 1 monster?

Some of my dummy sectors that hold one monster that teleports into a room when the trap is released have W1 lines. Could that cause problems? Like if a monster walks across the teleport line but cannot teleport (because something is blocking the teleport destination), would that cause the teleport line to no longer be active (and thus the monster can't teleport into the room)?

Sometimes I've had a few instances where a monster won't teleport into the room, just walking up and down in the dummy sector. I wonder if that had anything to do with it...

While I don't know all the specifics, I believe that in vanilla Doom a W1 teleporter is consumed without effect if someone walks the line from the wrong side, and that can easily happen if the monster can't teleport first time (because destination is blocked), crosses the line, and returns from the wrong side. Use WR just to be safe.

Yes, you are correct in your assessment of the problem. WR will solve that.

In general if you don't have a specific reason to make a linedef activate once-only, make it repeatable.

Thanks, I figured that much.

I know that crossing a 1-sided line from the wrong side will no longer make it active, but what if you cross it from the right side and can't teleport because of something blocking the teleport destination? Can that cause a line to go inactive, or just crossing it from the wrong side?

peach freak said:

Thanks, I figured that much.

I know that crossing a 1-sided line from the wrong side will no longer make it active, but what if you cross it from the right side and can't teleport because of something blocking the teleport destination? Can that cause a line to go inactive, or just crossing it from the wrong side?

Yes, if the line is walked over but the effect can't happen (monster is supposed to teleport but teleport spot is blocked; sector is supposed to change heights but it's already moving; etc.) the linedef still gets "used up" if it's a single-activation action.

Also IIRC sides don't matter for walk-over linedefs except in the case of teleports. Walking over the wrong side of a W1 teleport will still use it up without any effect, it seems.

Beware that Boom modified the behaviour. In Boom, walking from the wrong side will not consume the trigger, it will still work next time you walk from the right side. I still don't know how they treat the case when a monster cannot teleport because it's blocked.