Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Danfun64

An idea for post map33

CTF maps. Why? Because there are no Free Content ctf maps for doom. Those who use freedoom with odamex would probably like Free Content ctf maps.

I am referring to freedm by the way......

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't FreeDM supposed to be vanilla compatible, unlike its Boom targeted counterpart? Besides, don't Odamex, Zandronum/Skulltag, and ZDaemon use different thing numbers for the flags and their bases?

Sodaholic said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't FreeDM supposed to be vanilla compatible, unlike its Boom targeted counterpart? Besides, don't Odamex, Zandronum/Skulltag, and ZDaemon use different thing numbers for the flags and their bases?

There's a cross-port standard for CTF. The 32in24 CTF mappacks have been Boom-compatible maps with flags and team starts that work in any of the current multiplayer ports.

And if FreeDM is vanilla compatible, that seems a bit silly to me. I think given the overwhelming prevalence of modern ports for Doom multiplayer, aiming for anything less than Boom is really unnecessarily limiting things for basically no benefit. Is there any competitive play at all nowadays that isn't on one of the big three multiplayer ports?

maybe us can create something like freexp.wad (free doom expansion pack).
Based on that dm maps of freedm and duplicate the map if possible and one to red and other to blue.
i hope of everyone stand me...

A FreeCTF wad would be very cool, though should be just a pwad. Maybe can be added into FreeDM later.

FreeDM already has MAP33 and above for boom maps, while still maintaining vanilla compatibility in all the maps vanilla can actually load.

esselfortium said:

There's a cross-port standard for CTF. The 32in24 CTF mappacks have been Boom-compatible maps with flags and team starts that work in any of the current multiplayer ports.

That's good. I don't do any multiplayer mapping, so I didn't know one way or the other.

Although, yeah, Vanilla compatibility doesn't make much sense. I think it's better suited to single player than anything, especially the for few ports that still don't support Boom stuff like Doomsday (though I've heard there's compatibility plugins).

Sodaholic said:

Yes, but Vanilla only supports levels up to ~MAP34-35. There have been some proposals recently to allow non-Vanilla maps for the higher-numbered slots since people won't be using Vanilla Doom for them anyway.