Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

Worst PC game ever made. Big Rigs AVGN video.

I always wondered what the initial release price was, and what happened to those that bought it full price.

I saw the video when it first came out.

I also remember the half assed game review that Gamespot gave it when the game first came out >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR3a0gixfwI

There are worse games. Looks like an alpha build was put in the box. Sometimes that shit happens.

If I had to pick an initial release price... $20.

Technician said:

His production values really improved.

Too bad that Nostalgic Critic still looks like shit.

I used to watch his videos, but I found his critiques are just too long. If your critique / sitdown comedy review takes 33% of the length of the movie, that's too much. After watching his videos I felt like I had watched the movies instead of making me want to see the movies.

Technician said:

Too bad that Nostalgic Critic still looks like shit.

Yah, his newer stuff ain't as good. I admire him trying to build some kind of stories around the reviews to flesh them out, but they start to draw out. They were better back when they were at the 15 to 20 minute mark.

My problem with many comedy reviewers is that they start out with some sort of distinct personality but then slowly lose it. There is almost no AVGN in that Big Rigs video, it's just James Rolfe laughing at a badly programmed game. He is completely out of character now.

Memfis said:

My problem with many comedy reviewers is that they start out with some sort of distinct personality but then slowly lose it. There is almost no AVGN in that Big Rigs video, it's just James Rolfe laughing at a badly programmed game. He is completely out of character now.

Yeah gimmicks and characters slowly erode away over time. Otherwise they become stale. If you really want to see James out of character, he does a weekly Let's Play with Mike.

Gotta keep that Youtube money coming in.

AVGN is just not the way he used to be, it's too scripted and predictable nowadays. Even Jim Sterling does better with his Squirty Play series than him without being RAEG FAEC.

Memfis said:

The novelty of hearing a man yell diarrhea fuck farts has long since past.

Mr. Chris said:

AVGN is just not the way he used to be, it's too scripted

AVGN has always been scripted. It's a comedy show after all.

I don't mind that he's somewhat out of character here. Most of his usual ranting is based on frustrating gameplay, and nothing frustrating happens in this game. He gets points for showing the different versions and some of the less-known bugs/omissions.

What I don't like is he doesn't do (or at least show that he did) any research into how something this ridiculously bad was released. This is an extreme example of outsourcing failing because the guy with the money just didn't care, and possibly due to some incompetence on the side of the developers, but we know basically nothing about them. He likes bringing up bad developers of console games; his videos would be more interesting if he analyzed these things a bit more.

Oh, and I'm mad that he didn't show how his final number for reverse speed. Going beyond plaid is funny, but I want to know if he even hit the limit! (It would be great if you could overflow the counter and the truck went forward at ludicrous speed instead.)

I didn't think people still watched AVGN.

I already knew the game was terrible. Very little was added to my knowledge and the presentation wasn't entertaining. A dull video IMO.

Speaking of Jim Sterling, I'm convinced that Big Rigs isn't the worst game ever sold for money on the PC, not so long as this shit exists:

James was pretty out of character, but as Aliotroph mentions, there's not much frustration, just silly bugs and nonexistent gameplay. I honestly wouldn't mind if he quit the AVGN character and just did reviews as James. I somewhat enjoy the James and Mike Mondays videos, even if they're often terrible at some of the games they show. I don't get why so many people hate on Mike, he's contributed a lot behind the scenes and I find no issue with his commentary. I also find it incredibly stupid how people are complaining about the Microsoft documentary of the ET carts by claiming that it tramples the AVGN movie. For one, production began and finished long before this was even a plan (people don't seem to realize that the only work left is post), and secondly, it's fiction. Why does a scripted movie need to have the real Atari carts?

Also, about Nostalgia Critic. He just plain fucking sucks now. I kinda liked his earlier content when he was focused on what he was reviewing (he also seemed to act less obnoxiously). His humor was best when he ruthlessly pointed out as many flaws as he could. The bullshit stories or whatever surrounding it now are cringeworthy levels of unfunny. He also doesn't even seem to notice the movie/show most of the time, too enveloped in his own unwarranted ego. It's pretty clear why he tried to quit, but the money-people forced him back into it.

Really, TGWTG sucks as a whole. There's almost no good people on there. Too bad Spoony flew off the handle, he was one of the few people I could tolerate. Just like the rest of them, he too has become unwatchably bad. The problem seems to be holding onto your past schtick and working it even harder, especially when it's not just stale but rotting. At least James is a relatively normal, successful and well-adjusted person without an ego, and knows when to drop stuff before it gets too old.

Enjay said:

Very little was added to my knowledge and the presentation wasn't entertaining. A dull video IMO.

Eh, I kinda liked the fake ad for it.

Shadow Hog said:

*Example of a game worse than Big Rigs*

Don't forget this:

-

I also can't believe Big Rigs still gets attention after all these years, I thought the memory of it died out years ago.

The player movement and graphics on display in that vid are so glitchy I have to wonder if some of it is due to him playing the game on a multi-core PC that leaves it even more broken than normal.

Shadow Hog said:

Speaking of Jim Sterling, I'm convinced that Big Rigs isn't the worst game ever sold for money on the PC, not so long as this shit exists:

yep I just saw his rant. He's always good with rants. I've rarely watched his Let's Plays.

I'm interested in the remake of Earth 2066 that someone did in 3 hours.

Big Rigs is a better game than Big Rigs. Big Rigs had more effort into it and more games even if it was a buggy mess.

Jim's other video really exposed the maker of Earth 2066 as quite the con artist.

Earth 2066 should have been $5 to get the ball rolling... or just waited to release it until it felt like $20. For $20 you can buy a lot of quality games on Steam.

I'm down for the whole open world $20 robot shooter, but that world was just too open and flat. Proof of that is how Jim just circle strafes.

Sightlines are endless. You could stand on a building and snipe everything... The sniper scope is awful. Pushable cars seems hilarious. Guns shooting at metal robots seems counter productive.

Color pallet could have been a lot less ugly. Since the game is so early, randomized building, weapon, object, enemy placement could have been beneficial. Weapons and enemies that aren't boring as shit would help too.

Killing robots isn't nearly as impactful as organics. Maybe having a brain fall out of a metal body would be a shocker. Even arachnetrons had an organic top.

Plus, the game dev failed to point out the fact that enemies are dropped from planes seeing as how there's no planes and people just complain of random jet sounds.

To top that off Jim Sterling was saying in his other video the dev is using stock unity objects and textures.

BTW, I just downloaded and played this game and I managed to do one race and got "Your`e Winner", after that everytime I started a race I got "Your`e Winner" i nanosecond after starting the race? WTF? What a load of diarrhoea shite. This game really is as bad as the video suggests. But my version came with a patch. Should I install it?

neubejiita said:

BTW, I just downloaded and played this game and I managed to do one race and got "Your`e Winner", after that everytime I started a race I got "Your`e Winner" i nanosecond after starting the race? WTF? What a load of diarrhoea shite. This game really is as bad as the video suggests. But my version came with a patch. Should I install it?

Uhm what did you expect?

AVGN, General Lotz and Lord Karnage have very good game review videos that are pleasing to watch. Have followed avgn from 2007-2008 I dont remember exact year.

geo said:

Killing robots isn't nearly as impactful as organics. Maybe having a brain fall out of a metal body would be a shocker. Even arachnetrons had an organic top.

It could work... How about this: Robotic enemies that are basically made of interlocking plates and filled with petrol; Blast them apart and you get a metallic crunching sound followed by loads of shrapnel and a black mist. It'd probably help to keep a lower rating, too.

I watched the Big Rigs video a while ago and found it pretty funny despite Rolfe's not bothering with the Nerd character. I liked how there was more focus on the game itself and less on the personality. This entire game reeks of pre-alpha Sonic '06-level garbage and its amusing enough in itself to watch the horribleness implode.
So I felt all around it was a nice change of pace.

Jaxxoon R said:

It could work... How about this: Robotic enemies that are basically made of interlocking plates and filled with petrol; Blast them apart and you get a metallic crunching sound followed by loads of shrapnel and a black mist. It'd probably help to keep a lower rating, too.

I gave the robots thing another thought yesterday. It could work, even if its not that fun shooting robots compared to organics.

With robots, you could upgrade them, new parts, scavenging your enemies for their parts to upgrade and stuff. Choose one set of stats over another. Like treads to drive fast, without being able to jump. Eyes with zoom / scope settings. Arm cannons instead of actual guns, preventing you from using hand guns that mutants and humans would use.

What about customization since the player is a robot. Stuff like different heads, square, circular, different eyes. I think this could be fun.

Sodaholic said:

Really, TGWTG sucks as a whole. There's almost no good people on there. Too bad Spoony flew off the handle, he was one of the few people I could tolerate. Just like the rest of them, he too has become unwatchably bad. The problem seems to be holding onto your past schtick and working it even harder, especially when it's not just stale but rotting. At least James is a relatively normal, successful and well-adjusted person without an ego, and knows when to drop stuff before it gets too old.

Bad Movie Beatdown is bad for you? Film Brain nitpicks and points out flaws without all the comical bullshit NC uses.

I'm disappointed that nobody here has mentioned Limbo of the Lost yet.

It's one of those games that's like:

D:

D:

D:

D:

D: D: D: D: D:

Sodaholic said:

James was pretty out of character, but as Aliotroph mentions, there's not much frustration, just silly bugs and nonexistent gameplay. I honestly wouldn't mind if he quit the AVGN character and just did reviews as James. I somewhat enjoy the James and Mike Mondays videos, even if they're often terrible at some of the games they show. I don't get why so many people hate on Mike, he's contributed a lot behind the scenes and I find no issue with his commentary. I also find it incredibly stupid how people are complaining about the Microsoft documentary of the ET carts by claiming that it tramples the AVGN movie. For one, production began and finished long before this was even a plan (people don't seem to realize that the only work left is post), and secondly, it's fiction. Why does a scripted movie need to have the real Atari carts?

Also, about Nostalgia Critic. He just plain fucking sucks now. I kinda liked his earlier content when he was focused on what he was reviewing (he also seemed to act less obnoxiously). His humor was best when he ruthlessly pointed out as many flaws as he could. The bullshit stories or whatever surrounding it now are cringeworthy levels of unfunny. He also doesn't even seem to notice the movie/show most of the time, too enveloped in his own unwarranted ego. It's pretty clear why he tried to quit, but the money-people forced him back into it.

I agree with the Nostalgica critic not being as good anymore, but I don't agree it's because he isn't as funny or because the reviews aren't good anymore. It's because (like you already kind of pointed out) now for some reason he inserts his own stories into his reviews that often have nothing to do with the review and aren't very funny at all. Whenver his reviews cut away from the actual review and to his own stories I just get bored and wait until he goes back to the real review.

I really don't agree with your claim that TGWTG all sucks either. The cinimasnob is still lots of fun, and I really like Sage's animie abondon as well. And I REALLY disagree with your claim that Spoony isn't funny anymore. He is easily my fav reviewer/entertainer and is still lots of fun to watch.

AVGN just posted his lost episode on Youtube. That game looked pretty awful and brown. Lots of shit brown.

As for Mike, I like him, but his first 3 solo videos he just swore to swear. Now he's calmed down and he's great. As for why people hate him, I think they just get pissed off he's not AVGN.