Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

extra doom guy reaction faces?

I was watching some doom demos on tv and my wife remarked that she likes to watch the doom guys face, how he grits his teeth when he's shooting, panics when he's getting shot from both directions, the evil grinning when he gets a new weapon, etc.

made me think. Reaction face pictures in responses are a pretty common thing on the internet. What situations happen in doom that doomguy should have a brand new reaction face for appear on the status bar, and what would it look like? (post a picture if you can't describe it.)

Facepalm, upon hitting the use key against a wall too many times without an effect.

Bloody facepalm, upon a RL/barrel suicide death.

I liked the beta behavior of using the ouch face while walking on damaging floors.

Something else that could be fun would be a "holy shit!" face that'd be triggered when getting line of sight the first time in a level with a boss monster.

Maybe a triumphant face when entering the exit room (would be triggered by a linedef action).

Good thread :-)

Some for the power ups would be good:

Rad hood when wearing the rad suit
Goggles when wearing the lite amp
Roid rage expression when using the bezerk
Partially invisible when using the blur sphere
Bliss when collecting the soul sphere or megasphere

Maybe also some sort of acknowledgement when entering a secret sector, like a raised eyebrow or a wink!

Get these added to a source port :-)

Standing still for too long: Doomguy scratches his chin like The Rock.
Continuing to stand still: Yawn.
Still standing still: Sleeping, occassionally display the ouch face.
Further stillness: Self-Transforming Machine Imps start filling the screen from the various decoration/etc objects.

Gez said:

Something else that could be fun would be a "holy shit!" face that'd be triggered when getting line of sight the first time in a level with a boss monster.

Heh. Relatedly, he already grins when he picks up the first item after loading the game :P

purist said:

Maybe also some sort of acknowledgement when entering a secret sector, like a raised eyebrow or a wink!

I deeply agree, and it shouldn't be just a wink or raised eyebrow, but something really remarkable (like a strong joy). Might be a better secret-announcing way than the ZDoom-specific one. The gong sound + hud message is unsatisfactory to many people. I don't mind it, but I'm not satisfied simply with the fact that it's ZDoom-port-specific only. And that vanilla and other ports don't inform me about entering secrets at all.

40oz said:

wife remarked that she likes to watch the doom guys face

Okay, I don't want to start any conflicts, but I'm afraid if I say nothing, then the problem will be much worse when the truth finally gets out.

Your wife is in love with the Doomguy, and if he returns those affections, you're out of luck.

How about a look of exasperation or disbelief if the player saves the game on 1% health?

Also, vomitting if a HOM or tutti frutti error is on screen.

scifista42 said:

I deeply agree, and it shouldn't be just a wink or raised eyebrow, but something really remarkable (like a strong joy). Might be a better secret-announcing way than the ZDoom-specific one. The gong sound + hud message is unsatisfactory to many people. I don't mind it, but I'm not satisfied simply with the fact that it's ZDoom-port-specific only. And that vanilla and other ports don't inform me about entering secrets at all.

I thought some other source ports DID have the gong noise - PrBoom+ does, anyway.

Jimi said:

Standing still for too long: Doomguy scratches his chin like The Rock.
Continuing to stand still: Yawn.
Still standing still: Sleeping, occassionally display the ouch face.
Further stillness: Self-Transforming Machine Imps start filling the screen from the various decoration/etc objects.

This reminded me of one of the levels in the "second trilogy" of Commander Keen. If you stand still for long enough in one of the pyramids, Keen would "moon" the player. How could this work with Doomguy? How about replacing his face with a butt after, say, 1 minute?

Squinting face if in a sector with a brightness level of 96 or below without lite amp goggles or any lighting affects attached to the sector.

Wince when dropping from a high enough height to make the 'unff' noise.

Squinting in different light levels would be rather nice. He could also do it in really bright areas as well with lots of light.

I wondered what an unimpressed face would look like, after he sees the same old sights after a while like overly powerful enemies.

So I made it, and he doesn't look too unimpressed, just looks like he is looking forward normally...maybe he's having a slow day...hasn't found any demons to shoot.

Laughing like the Duck Hunt dog if you miss too many shots in a row.

Ichor said:

Laughing like the Duck Hunt dog if you miss too many shots in a row.

Or a giggle when you gib something. Also, angry face when taking friendly fire in co-op.

purist said:

Some for the power ups would be good:

Definitely. Also, add extra angry look when out of berserk haze effect.

And another thing would be in similar fashion with Gez's suggestion. Doomguy gets bit concerned when boss monster awakens, if there is no line of sight.

Xegethra said:

I wondered what an unimpressed face would look like, after he sees the same old sights after a while like overly powerful enemies.

pic

That must be his face during the entirety of every slaughtermap ever.

Ok, but supposing we have these faces done, is there a way add new states to the game?

Can there be one with doomguy bouncing his eyebrows up and down for the occasion when he sights a female imp?

Gez said:

I liked the beta behavior of using the ouch face while walking on damaging floors.

On a slightly related note, I always thought the infamous "ouch face" actually made more sense in vanilla doom, as in picking up a medkit after a Baron slashes you. I thought it was the perfect facial expression for "Holy shit! I can't believe I survived that!"

Taking above 20 damage happens so frquently that you ALWAYS see that derpy face in modern source ports, and it kills the magic of the "really rare doomguy face" if that makes any sense. Not that anyone would even care, but you know.

I didn't realise it showed the ouch face for damage >20. Feels like it is higher than that.

A shocked face when the the RNG rolls high when taking damge would be funny. It would be like the game is acknowledging handing you a raw deal.

Maybe it's 25. Either way, it happens nearly every shot from SG/SSG in Deathmatch :P

This should be the reaction when starting the level.

And this should be a reaction when doomguy picks a/n BFG/SSG.