Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cycloolephin

GZDoom won't run WAD

Hey. I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but I've searched the internet for the past 2 hours and have found nothing.

I just downloaded several WADs, and have been unable to get them to work with GZDoom. The main one I am trying to get to work is Titan2. I have tried to open the WAD with the drag'n'drop method, right clicking it and selecting 'open' with GZDoom, even tried using the command line. Nothing works, it always brings up the same message: no WAD was detected. However, when I try using one of the original WADs(such as Doom2), it will load that just fine. I have the newest version of GZDoom too. Help please??? I really want to play this WAD. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

This sounds like a filesystem or permissions error rather than a GZDoom error to me. What OS are you using? Have you tried running as administrator or moving the wad to a different location? Is the error message directly in GZDoom or is it a pop-up message?

plums said:

...or moving the wad to a different location?

If it's in c:\program files, move it somewhere else. Even if that doesn't solve the current problem, you should do that.

I am using Windows 7. I tried running as administrator and it didn't work. I also tried moving the wad. This is the error message that pops up when I try to run it:

"Execution could not continue.

Cannot find a game IWAD (doom.wad, doom2.wad, heretic.wad, etc.).
Did you install ZDoom properly? You can do either of the following:

1. Place on or more of these wads in the same directory as ZDoom.
2. Edit your zdoom-username.ini and add the directories of your iwads to the list beneath [IWADSearch.Directories]"

cycloolephin said:

Well, this message seems clear enough.

Do you own one of the games: DOOM, DOOM2, FINAL DOOM, HERETIC, HEXEN ?

If you do, then all you have to do is copy the IWAD file:
DOOM.WAD or DOOM2.WAD or PLUTONIA.WAD or TNT.WAD or HERETIC.WAD or HEXEN.WAD
into the folder where you installed GZDoom.
Then drag the PWAD onto the GZDoom icon or GZDoom.exe.

If you do not, then without the IWAD it just will not work.

cycloolephin said:

"Execution could not continue.

2. Edit your zdoom-username.ini and add the directories of your iwads to the list beneath [IWADSearch.Directories]"

Try editing zdoom-yourname.ini to add the location of the iwads anyhow.

Alternately, try putting the wad in the same directory as doom2.wad, control-click doom2.wad and the other wad you want to run, and then drag doom2.wad onto zdoom.exe. You shouldn't have to do it this way, but it might at least work until a better solution is found.

Also, you could try using the DOOMWADDIR environment variable.
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1261903

@Kappes Buur: He very clearly states that he has the original wads in the first post.

Great. So the problem is that ZDoom doesn't know where to find doom2.wad (and other iwads) normally. You do have them in the same folder as zoom.exe right? If so then one of those other solutions (editing the config, setting up the DOOMWADDIR variable) should fix the problem.

Here's the relevant section of my zdoom-username.ini
change C:\Games\Doom as needed.

[IWADSearch.Directories]
Path=C:\Games\Doom
Path=$DOOMWADDIR
Path=$HOME
Path=$PROGDIR

Hello, I know that this is an old forum but it is the closest thing that I've found to my specific problem.  I have the latest update of GZDoom installed properly and have ran the original doom 1 and 2 WADs several times but when I try any mods at all they will not work.  I am almost positive that it is not a directory issue, I'm not ignorant when it comes to simple computer tasks such as the ones depicted in this discussion but none have been successful.  Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated other than telling me to drag and drop the .wad file onto the .exe file, I assure you that did not work

And if it helps I'm on Windows 10

Edited by rambo5489

Why do people bump old threads when they can make new ones :/

What mods are you trying to run? Drag and drop always works.

You can always use the -file parameter via command line or a frontend launcher such as ZDL.

Can you post a log? GZDoom creates one if you use the parameter

+logfile 

where is a name of log eg

gzdoom -iwad doom2.wad +logfile mylog.txt

creates mylog.txt.

I've tried several mods

In command line now I've been able to load up the NUTS wad seemingly fine(still no drag and drop) until the little window comes up and its only loading part of the mod(like the backgrounds but no text) so I tried nuts 2 and 3

Renderer: OpenGL
V_Init: allocate screen.

**** DIED WITH FATAL ERROR:
Palette not found

that was the end part of the log

Also what command can I use to load a pk3 file

Are you loading it with an IWAD? That's where it searches for the pallete.

-file works for all file formats. Whether the file works in-game is another thing.

gzdoom -file hdv8.pk3 +logfile mylog.txt

and

gzdoom -file NUTS2.wad

gives me

M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
Using program directory for storage

**** DIED WITH FATAL ERROR:
Did you install GZDoom properly? You can do either of the following:

1. Place one or more of these wads in the same directory as GZDoom.
2. Edit your gzdoom-username.ini and add the directories of your iwads
to the list beneath [IWADSearch.Directories]

gzdoom -iwad NUTS2.wad

gives me the palette not found error

You have to load an IWAD first then a mod. In your case, you'll need doom2.wad.

Take doom2.wad and place it alongside the gzdoom.exe

Then

gzdoom -iwad doom2.wad -file NUTS.wad

Alright now I've got literally every mod to work except nuts 1 so thanks for baring with me, newb mistake on my part but I swear still no drag and drop.  I don't mind commands though so no problem

Thanks again

And that's why, ladies and gentlemen, launchers were invented.

I have windows 10 and im trying to use gzdoom for spear of destiny I keep getting this message

It's the thread the keeps on coming back!

I must applaud ZDoom though, that's one of the most clearly written and (I'd hope) understandable error messages I've ever seen.  Not only does it tell you precisely what the problem is in plain English, it even gives you suggestions for how to fix it.  Good on it!

As the error message says, you need an IWAD in that directory (IWAD is the Doom name for a core-game file.  All mods need to be run on top of a game, like Doom 2 or Hexen or whatever)

Do you have Doom 2 installed?  If so, find "Doom2.wad" in the Doom 2 directory and copy and paste it into your GZDoom directory.

If you don't have Doom 2 installed, download Freedoom from here (a free alternative): https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/releases/download/v0.11.3/freedoom-0.11.3.zip

Open the zip and copy freedoom2.wad into the GZDoom directory.  That should fix it.