Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

10 reasons to play Doom WADs?

Hey,

I wanna make more people play Doom WADs, and for that, I would like to make a video that advertises them.

What would be the top 10 reason you'd say for someone to play mods of Doom?

1. Because they feel like it
2. Because they feel like it
3. Because they feel like it
4. Because they feel like it
5. Because they feel like it
6. Because they feel like it
7. Because they feel like it
8. Because they feel like it
9. Because they feel like it
10. Because they feel like it

Because it offers a wide variety of all kinds of levels, from hard slaughter-like to beautiful and atmospheric such as BTSX. the selection is huge and you will always find something intersting to play if you look carefully. besides, you can get bored really fast playing the same iwads over and over again.

I can think off these. Feel free to use, extend, reformulate them.

• Doom modding had evolved to provide an actually good gameplay experience, because gameplay is often focused above anything else.
  • Doom has no ads, no long loading screens, you just launch the game and play.
  • Doom engine is fast and non-heavy. It can handle ENORMOUSLY LOTS of detail and enemies on screen - gameplay can be based on slaughtering hundreds of monsters, who attack you in various ways, providing an unique challenge.
  • Modern source ports (ZDoom, GZDoom) and extended mapping formats (Boom, Hexen format) provide a lot of additional features, not present in the original Doom. They can be used to create a whole new experience.
  • There's an /idgames archive of thousand wads available, with descriptions and a rating system.
  • Wide variety of aesthetical and gameplay styles in different wads. From classic to experimental gameplay, retro to modern aesthetics.
  • There are still new and new wads to come out. They are created quickly and easily, that's an advantage of the Doom engine.
  • Doom has an active community of mappers, modders, speedrunners, and also an active multiplayer scene (ZDaemon, Zandronum). The community had survived 20 years. Join in!
You said you wanted an advertisement, didn't you? :)

Tarnsman said:

1. Because they feel like it
2. Because they feel like it
3. Because they feel like it
4. Because they feel like it
5. Because they feel like it
6. Because they feel like it
7. Because they feel like it
8. Because they feel like it
9. Because they feel like it
10. Because they feel like it

There are levels and difficulty settings to encompass nearly every gameplay style and a bumbling infinitude of mods to vary your experience. Even if you gave up on every combination after a minute of playing it you'd have a lifetime worth of Doom

Opening up with brutal doom would be a good start if you want results.

40oz said:

0_o

I'm trying to determine if you're serious or not.

There is a FIDE Master who plays Doom WADs, so even real intelligent people are into this stuff.

SFoZ911 said:

Because it offers a wide variety of all kinds of levels, from hard slaughter-like to beautiful and atmospheric such as BTSX. the selection is huge and you will always find something intersting to play if you look carefully. besides, you can get bored really fast playing the same iwads over and over again.

Pretty much this. I've not seen another community quite like the Doom modding community in terms of variation, total years spent making custom content and interesting individuals. Somehow making stuff for Doom STILL remains interesting to this day, and long may this continue!

Depends on the wad, I could hardly see every wad fitting in with the reasons you would want people to play them.

I.E:
"It is under-rated", this is subjective depending on the wad
"It is fun", also subjective (especially if we are talking 90's wads here)

Memfis said:

There is a FIDE Master who plays Doom WADs, so even real intelligent people are into this stuff.

That's the thing about entertainment and people, someboedie's intelligence doesn't always dictate what they like....really smart people can be into some really simple things. They don't wanna tax their minds to the limit all the time like people seem to think they do.

That and the hardcore nudity mentioned earlier certainly gives this game a boost.

Obviously, the primary reason to play add-on levels is because you like Doom and want more of it. So if the people you're trying to convince already like Doom, that's the first step.

Then you can always sell them on the fact that there's literally infinite replay value with add-on WADs. Even if you ignore the fact that probably no one could play all the Doom add-ons ever made, you have stuff like OBLIGE as well, which just makes more levels for you on demand.

And all this stuff is for free. So you basically have a game with an endless stream of free, new content (and some of it is arguably better than the base game). That's pretty amazing.

40oz said:

I see what you want to say, but I'm still kind of naive, and I can believe that indie game fans definitely can join to the Doom community. Damn, I can barely tell you any other games that has so many user-made maps, not even talkin' about quality! (at this point, please forget 1994WADs, shitWADs, etc.)

Obsidian said:

0_o

I'm trying to determine if you're serious or not.

just kinda speaking with a pessimistic "sad but true" tone. Brutal doom appears to be pretty awesome at drawing in people who haven't played doom in a long time or not at all. For whatever reason, better than many of our greatest wads.

Honestly, the Doom community could use more advertising to people OUTSIDE the doom Community than to those who are a part of it. A lot of the popular mods have youtube trailers, fan pages, moddb pages and so on, why not megawads? Why do mods like Xaser's Psychic not get the attention of something like freaking Doom:One? Could it be they aren't visible enough?

40oz said:

If you want to show how immature the Doom community is, sure!

Marcaek said:

Why do mods like Xaser's Psychic not get the attention of something like freaking Doom:One?

One, Psychic is not on ModDB; second, because Xaser rejected someone's, ahem, invitation made in a private message, I guess?

Both reasons may or may not be related

Csonicgo said:

If you want to show how immature the Doom community is, sure!

Doom was never that mature begin with though....The concept of shooting demons is a bit childish anyway...fun, but silly.

IMX said:

One, Psychic is not on ModDB; second, because Xaser rejected someone's, ahem, invitation made in a private message, I guess?

Both reasons may or may not be related

Huh?

- Good WADs can change the feel of an already great game keeping it fresh for longer.

- Between the "Big 3" online ports, there are usually at least 100 players online at any time, all of them using custom WADs.

- Because they feel like it

EDIT: It sure would be nice if more people outside the Doom community 'advertised' Doom. I've seen some noobs on YouTube with ultra-popular accounts play it, but since they know nothing about the game the results are lulzworthy, as seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzGhdmh__K0

lmao, the walls look like jiggly jelly with whatever setting GZdoom is on, and they are just hilariously bad. The video is pretty funny, but it's not exactly 'selling' the game. I really hope to see more videos that show off the game, so to speak.

1) Because you are at Doom's Gate running from evil in the dark halls between levels.
2) Because you told them about id hiding the secrets deep into the code.
3) Because waiting for Romero to play is getting too tense.
4) Because the Healer stalks on the hunt.
5) Because the demons on the prey are going to get you, and you need Donna to the rescue.
6) Because you get to waltz when facing the spider.
7) Because you sawed the demons dead from Adrian's pen when he was asleep.
8) Because there's something sinister in the kitchen.
9) Because you need to go into Sandy's city to send a message for the Evil Incarnate.
10) Because the ultimate challenge is a countdown to death when Shawn's got the shotgun.

Replayability.

Unfortunately, scifista42 got every reason down so there's no need to repeat myself.

Jimi said:

1) Because you are at Doom's Gate running from evil in the dark halls between levels.
2) Because you told them about id hiding the secrets deep into the code.
3) Because waiting for Romero to play is getting too tense.
4) Because the Healer stalks on the hunt.
5) Because the demons on the prey are going to get you, and you need Donna to the rescue.
6) Because you get to waltz when facing the spider.
7) Because you sawed the demons dead from Adrian's pen when he was asleep.
8) Because there's something sinister in the kitchen.
9) Because you need to go into Sandy's city to send a message for the Evil Incarnate.
10) Because the ultimate challenge is a countdown to death when Shawn's got the shotgun.

I see what you did there :D