Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

a speedmap i made today based (mostly) upon circular and curve lines, inspired upon some discussion on Doom Pictures thread...

Mandatory screenshot:

Here's the thing is for boom, tested in prboom-plus 2.5.1.3 and works fine...

I think my failed FDA exposed a possible inconvenience in the map :)

Recorded with GLBoom+ 2.5.1.4 -complevel 9

EDIT: Seems like I'm lucky with this map. In another failed attempt I got stuck in the yellow key area. You probably didn't consider that someone would get scared by the zombiemen and go through the crushers before picking up the yellow key, did you? :D
The crushers were all the way down and I couldn't move anywhere.

I guess I owe you the continuation of my endeavors with your map so here it is. No more imperfections in the map. Just my playing that sucks.

Cool map! You don't see a lot of curves in Doom. There's one odd thing. The west and south hallways connect to the central room at a sharper angle than the north and east hallways. It's not a huge difference, but it's enough so that Spectres can't enter these hallways from the central room after you get the blue key.

Speaking of the blue key - on the automap, that area where it's found looks like a giant penis with the key located in the testicles. Is that some oblique reference to "blue balls"?

First attempt, exited with all kills in 4:03. I tried conserving my SSG ammo in the very beginning because I didn't notice the trail of shotgun shells for the yellow key room. I wasted my last 2 shells on the lost soul behind the invisible walls near the spawn.

I killed all the shotgunners before hitting the blue key, and thought that there'd be another trap there. I used around 30 shells on a regular shotgun sniping the archvile at the end for safety.

Overall, cool map but a little cramped. Because there's no such thing as a real curve in Boom Doom (ha..?), you get stuck alot. Nice map though.

Beat it in an enjoyable 2 minutes in a sorta half-arsed speedrun. I think curves are sadly unused in most Doom maps, I think a whole episode of maps with an emphasis on curved lines could be really nice.

Thanks for all comments guys! I'll see all the demos you post here...

@ EffinghamHuffnagel: heh, i just realized it too when i was testing it... too random videochat sites?

@ Doomkid92, yeah it could be cool see something like that... unluckily with my speed on normal mapping, i'll probably finish that in million years...

Nice work, it proves how a simple idea, not even thoroughly thought-out and polished, can be enough to provide a bit of joy. For me, it worked and I liked the map. There's something very right and effective on this approach - a quick implementation of an idea to entertain the player and perhaps give him an inspiration, and moving on, because nothing more (polishing, prolonging gameplay) is really necessary.