Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MH101

Using Quake engine

Hi, I'm thinking about making a Duke Nukem-style game with similar graphics, but a friend of mine said it would be easier to use the Quake engine if I wanted to make a standalone game. Would it be possible to use the Quake engine to make sprite-based graphics instead of just 3D models?

The Quake engine is designed around true 3D, isn't it? If you were wanting to make the most of it you'd probably be better off just making 3D assets with Blender and exporting it to Quake format using the proper plugins (try looking on ZDoom.org's forums). If you can't manage that you'd probably be better off making a Total Conversion for [G]ZDOOM, since it allows you to do most of what Quake is capable of anyways with less effort. Like Chex 3, for example.

Although, if you mean an actual stand-alone build of the engine with this added in, well, there's always the source code out there.

Like would it be possible to make a standalone game in the style of Duke Nukem? I say that game because it has more features and effects than Doom does.

It ight be possible, depending on how much you wanna work the code. The most advanced thing I've seen on the Quake 1 Engine is probably a standalone version of CoD5's Nazi Zombie mode. Duke Nuke like effects may be possible, as such.

But you can put in sound effects and code the player to say something at a particular event? Because the Duke Nukem style games have that, like when you see an easter egg.

Jaxxoon R said:

[G]ZDOOM, since it allows you to do most of what Quake is capable of anyways with less effort.

I beg to differ. While it may be easier to draw levels of Doom complexity, if you try to go vertical, Quake is easier than trying the same thing with many 3D floors over each other.

Indeed. The funny thing is I always see far more vertical Doom maps than vertical Quake maps.

(G)ZDoom can't do moving sectors like DN3D. Polyobjs can simulate some of the same effects, but walking on moving sectors was a big part of some levels.

Yeah Quake has true 3D Duke still uses sprites.

From my limited experience with both, I find the BUILD editor to be a joy to work with, while the only Quake editor I got along with is Quark and when I mention that all the Quake-heads have a knee-jerk reaction of "NOOOO DON'T USE QUARK IT'S HORRIBLE YOU'LL REGRET IT". Exactly WHY it's so bad to use was never entirely clear to me, but supposedly it starts choking on maps bigger than the little test doodles I was working with.

Would it be possible to make a standalone game with the BUILD editor?

MH101 said:

Would it be possible to make a standalone game with the BUILD editor?

Possible, certainly, easy, I can't guarantee that since I've never tried something so ambitious with it. Worst case scenario, you might have to tweak and compile a bit of C source code. You might also like to look into Mapster32 which is a port of the editor to modern systems and adds a few features, it might also be more "generic" than the one that comes with Duke if you find that one to be too Duke-specific.

Is Mapster 32 a legal program? Because I don't want to risk getting in trouble with the author of the game.

It's connected with EDuke32 so presumably it's as legal as that is. I don't think there are any problems in that regard.