Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dima

Some quotes from Paul Jaquays! (UPDATED)

Some comments Paul Jaquays posted about DOOM on mapcenter:

I guess there's some value in milking a franchise name, but no sub-title?

--------------------
-Paul

OK ... when I left ... I thought the company was going with a different approach to titling. Beyond that, I'm going to shut up.

Regarding new game concepts, one thing to remember when dealing with IP is the old "bird in the hand" maxim ... new IP is very expensive to launch and there's no guarantee that it will grab people's imagination and be a blockbuster. Familiar IP is worth it's weight in public awareness. How many of you are salivating for DOOM simply because of the name and your brand awareness? If id took the exact same engine and released it under a new name (with no DOOM connection at all) would you be quite as anticipatory. The id brand carries weight, but without the familiar game IP, it wouldn't be as potent.

There's a chance that some of my work may make it into the game. There's a couple sections that are based on my roughouts and I'm betting that one of the large chambers I created will make it into the game in some form. Plus there's conceptual work for some features that I can point at and say "that's me."

However, if none of my level work ends up in the final game, I won't be surprised either. I'll be the first to admit that a lot of my map work on DOOM 3 wasn't up to par with what SHOULD be the quality in the game. Then add to that the tendency to excise or drastically modify the work of level designers who leave mid-project (I saw it happen with both Quake 2 and Quake 3). What survived in those games really couldn't be considered the work of the original designer.

--------------------
-Paul

Thanks phooka. I can say one thing confidently about DOOM 3 and that it will be one of the most impressive real-time 3D environments that you will see anywhere (until, as is usually the case, one of the licensees figures out how to make things even cooler).
It will be a while before anything I'm working on surfaces.

-------------
-Paul

Updated:

Worthing noting: As I write this, AoM has about 2% of the vote on this poll. Despite that, if AoM sales track at the same level as previous products, it will probably outsell most of the other games on the list ... including the hyper-anticipated Doom. Doom, while popular with a certain class of game player, is going to either have hardware requirements far above and beyond that of the average computer owner, or will have content that antagonizes and offends a many a potential mass market consumer. Most likely, both with be true for the mass market consumer.

Amphetamine: Cyberpunk (and in fact, most SF genre fiction) has never really translated well to the traditional or CRPG formats. There have been many attempts, but fantasy keeps coming back as the mainstay.

--------------------
-Paul

Ain't it cool guys? :))

How many of you are salivating for DOOM simply because of the name and your brand awareness?

I might buy a new Doom release done with the old engine, but only if the levels were well done and if it had new textures, enemies and maybe even new weapons.

The main reason why I'm looking forward to the new game is that it will likely be a Doom game with new gameplay features and a new engine.
I can safely say that a great part of my motivation for buying this game is the looks of the engine - the macworld video blew me away, and several "vitnesses claim that it looks even better in person. The mere thought of the completed game makes me drool.
Another factor is that id are focusing on singleplay this time - this could mean that they're putting a little more effort into making a cool game out of it instead of just tweaking the netcode.

There are many other reasons based on what I've heard about the game, but these are pretty much the main reasons.

...well, new Doom has all chances to have also the new frantic plot (imwo), ultimate graphics and sound (imwo), killing atmosphere and fantastic gameplay (imwo)... hmm, what else? Ahha, thats the Doom, no matter what number with it... - its alfa et omega, the Father of all fps (Wolf3d is the grandfather...), game which had generated the whole genere... What else? For some of the people its more then a game... imwo...

imwo?
in my wise opinion?

*slaps forehead
Of course, I should've known!
It is a known fact that your opinion is wasted on us ;-)
j/k

Paul Jaquays said:
I'm betting that one of the large chambers I created will make it into the game in some form.

Mmmmmmm... Large chambers...

FlatHead said:

Mmmmmmm... Large chambers...

I'm not surprised, but still glad to get confirmed that Doom 3 will be more than cramped spaces.

orion said:

I whant sum haigh qualitey windowz shooten!!!

And I'm sure that Doom 3 will not only have large chambers and halls, but cramped space, outdoor areas AND high quality window shooting - remember the eyewitness of the Quakecon 2001 video: an imp jumping through a glass pane - broken glass shards flying all over the place.
I think you'll get what you want - maybe even more!
:-P~| <------- (A drooling face with a pit of saliva forming underneath it)

large chamber...i want to see how large it will be.and,what kind of chamber it will be?(gotic palace,hellish place or military facilities)

Gotic palace? In Doom???
I think you're mixing Quake and Doom a little too much for my tastes *shudders*.

dsm said:

Gotic palace? In Doom???
I think you're mixing Quake and Doom a little too much for my tastes *shudders*.

Actually look at Doom 2, or just check the textures. They wanted to archieve a gothic feel, but of course we're talking about a 2.5D engine that never liked slopes and had a pretty low lines-in-sight limit.

Zaldron said:

2.5D engine

I think you're flattering the engine a little too much.

Zaldron said:

Actually look at Doom 2, or just check the textures. They wanted to archieve a gothic feel, but of course we're talking about a 2.5D engine that never liked slopes and had a pretty low lines-in-sight limit.

Hmm ok. When I think gothic I think of something even more like Quake1 (the textures - not the overall design) than the stuff in Doom 2 - the Doom 2 goth was more like "Hell goth".
Never liked that anyway - I prefer Doom to be strictly human base installation and strictly Hell (and then of course a mishmash of these two). I don't view goth as exactly hellish - not like Hell in its own sense, since it seems too much like the surroundings were built by humans.

I like Goth, specially since they can't make buildings entirely of flesh and horns without making it look corny. I preffer these unholy churches-like buildings in the middle of wastelands with weird skyes. Horns, lava and flesh are welcome, but in moderation.

Goth will fit with doom,if there are still those satanic things (Goat-like monster,the pentagram).yep Goth is not viewd exactly as hell,it is human made.and it maybe assumed as it built by humen who believed in evil.if there are human world and demon hell.Gothic place is something like the connection between these two worlds.

Dark-tenshi said:

yep Goth is not viewd exactly as hell,it is human made.and it maybe assumed as it built by humen who believed in evil.

It would be kinda cool if there was a place somewhere in the UAC bases where the zombie humans had built a cathedral or at least an altar to sacrifice things on.

FlatHead said:

It would be kinda cool if there was a place somewhere in the UAC bases where the zombie humans had built a cathedral or at least an altar to sacrifice things on.

that'd be great for maybe a secret place in a map, or a secret map itself.

FlatHead said:

I'd rather prefer imps to do that, otherwise, good idea :-)

I guess there's some value in milking a franchise name, but no sub-title?

I think there is a difference between milking a franchise name and making a addition to the franchise. You want to talk about milking a franchise, then look at the Final Fantasy games...