Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
xenphor

G/Zdoom video stuttering on Intel HD in Archlinux

I compiled both Gzdoom and Zdoom but ran into the same problems with both. After around 5-10 min of gameplay, the game will start stuttering for seemingly no reason, even though vid_fps reports 60fps. On top of that, v-sync does not even work in Zdoom, although it does in GZdoom. With v-sync on in GZdoom, the stuttering is even more noticeable because there is a stark contrast between both states. I compiled both of these ports today with all latest updates to Arch applied. I believe I also had the same problem in Fedora.

If it happens only after 5-10 minutes I suspect some overheating problem with your CPU powering down. Best check for dust in the fans or other problems that might block air flow.

Some time ago I had a similar problem with the system getting slow after some time. Turned out that the fan was so full of dust that it couldn't properly work anymore.

Well it's a new computer so I don't see how it could be that infected with dust. I guess I should also mention that the problem begins to correct itself after a few minutes of stuttering but never really goes back to normal. I also think that the fact that v-sync simply doesn't work in Zdoom would mean there are other issues.

vsync doesn't ever work in ZDoom, IIRC. It's there solely for GL ports.

My mistake, I was thinking of vid_maxfps which only works in software mode.

That's not correct. But of course it depends on the graphics driver. If it isn't correctly implemented there it can't work, of course.