Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
36appl0912

Why the DOOM hate christians?

This is something that has irked me since I was little. Religious people (specifically western Christians) seem to criticize DOOM or any game and movie depicting demons even though they are the villains. YOU KILL THE DEMONS! That is a good thing. Someone may have brought this up before, but answer with your genuine unfiltered opinions. Furthermore, this logic problem also occurs with any game involving the killing of malevolent beings like aliens or terrorists. People criticized Wolfenstein 3d even though you kill Nazis. That is a good lesson to teach kids. See racist mass murderer, blow his brains out. LOGIC!

I'm a Christian myself, and I FUCKING LOVE DOOM! Seriously, when I came home from church as a kid nothing was better than hours of demonic slaughter. My dad would play too and he was a much better player at the time, so he would show me the later levels in the episodes. Of course, there are those idiotic soccer moms that feel every child must be "protected" from the evils of the world. Then again, there are crazy people from everywhere - religious or not.

It's not the religion; it's the people. One of the guys at id was a mormon and basically said everything you just did (Demons are bad, you're killing them, they're just cartoons).

I'm not religious so the effect of Satatic or any other religious imagery is just purely decorative and to me, demons are fictional myth anyway.

I also don't see why people hate on Doom even though they themselves might be a person who isn't a demon lover. You see, people don't think....they are quite incapable of it a lot of the time. They see you killing demons in Doom and somehow believe it is in support of evils. If they really do wanna "protect" children from evil...I'd have thought they wouldn't want to shun it from them, but rather give them a chance to be able to deal with it....they are Christians after all, I thought they would love demon death.

As for the religious people who do enjoy the game, at least they can see past that there are demons in the game, and they realise what you are doing to them, and what they are doing to you. It's hell, if it really does exist, and if it really did invade....I'm sure everyone on the planet would then wanna kill them back, religious or not.

But even so, to me....it's just a game, killing a demon in Doom is no different than killing an old lady in GTA. But then, I can separate games from reality and use games to vent my violent side as opposed to doing it to real people...like some unfortunately do. And killing demons is a fun way to do that.

People just need to lighten up....not just in the gaming world, but as a species as a whole.

Xegethra said:

I also don't see why people hate on Doom even though they themselves might be a person who isn't a demon lover. You see, people don't think....they are quite incapable of it a lot of the time. They see you killing demons in Doom and somehow believe it is in support of evils. If they really do wanna "protect" children from evil...I'd have thought they wouldn't want to shun it from them, but rather give them a chance to be able to deal with it....they are Christians after all, I thought they would love demon death.

A lot of Christian parents see violence (like shooting in Doom) as a way children become conditioned to violence in the real world. This is why many Christians blamed the Columbine Massacre on Doom (Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold played it.) Bunch of shit obviously, but there are fanatics out there for everything.

Yeah I know not all Christians are. I'm just not sure why they think violent video games would condition people to become violent....people have been violent before video games, entirely on their own terms. And if video games were to suddenly not exist anymore, people again would become violent on their own. Lot's people today, who don't play games are still violent.

If anyone does become conditioned to violence from video games....it would be a small amount. But that's still no reason to hate on games and try to ruin the fun of those who play them.

I think people fail to realise that violence is in a lot of people's nature, we have to get it out somehow, and video games are a good way to vent those tendencies. I'm sure these game haters would take me killing pretend demons in Doom, over me going outside and killing real people. Sure these people aren't violent in anyway hence their hating games...but some of us like to perform it, fictionally or not. I know I don't have the heart to go hurting real people...but my violent side does exist and it likes to see pixel people get blown to bits.

But you know all this anyway, people aren't all bad really. As long as my fun is harmless at the end of the day, I have nothing to worry about.

Christian fundamentalists (I like to call them fundies) are known to suffer from severe cognitive dissonance, which is what allows them to believe in the fantasy of Abrahamic mythos. They became so frightened of demonic concepts that media merely portraying them--even in a negative light--suddenly becomes unacceptable. The dogmatic Christians who have some sort of moral objection to Doom are most definitely in the minority.

The media is just trying to find something to pick on so they can have more news stories and gain money.

Of course, right now my local Fox station is now running a "study" that shows that violence in video games = violence in real life.

The media just needs to realize that a majority of the major school shootings are from mentally unstable people.

I think you should re-name the thread to "Why do Christains hate DOOM" because I thought this was going to be about Doomers hating on Christians, which I've never seen much of. Personally I don't identify with any religion out there.

A lot of people are overly sensitive, even to concepts/ideas.. Stuff that in itself, can't harm us. Humans are weird like that.

GoatLord said:

Christian fundamentalists (I like to call them fundies) are known to suffer from severe cognitive dissonance, which is what allows them to believe in the fantasy of Abrahamic mythos. They became so frightened of demonic concepts that media merely portraying them--even in a negative light--suddenly becomes unacceptable. The dogmatic Christians who have some sort of moral objection to Doom are most definitely in the minority.

This.

EDIT: Surprised and hapy to see this wasn't some flame war thing headed for hell.

36appl0912 said:

Stuff about Christians and religious people hating Doom

This is remarkably stupid and you should feel bad for posting it.

I'm a Catholic and I've been playing Doom since I was three years old.

It's not stupid, there are religious people that hate this sort of stuff...you are not all Christians.

It is stupid because he made the outlandish statement that religious people never obey logic, never enjoy films or video games, and just sit in chairs all day long trying to not breath air or something because of some ignorant, narrow-minded conception he has of people who are religious.

People would only think that based on what they have seen or heard of about them. I'm not saying he is assuming anything, but if people do assume then it is most likely from that.

I agree that you shouldn't jump to conclusions...but for those who are totally ignorant and stupid, they just make a bigger impact on the world and how people see them. A small bad minority of any group, will almost always be typcast as representing the whole group...unfortunately, people always make those incorrect assumptions because the bad, tend to be more outlandish and in your face about things, thus coming to the forefront more often.

Cool, so now that you just acknowledged that you're talking about people who don't even represent that majority of Christians and would only ever get plastered on the news because the news needs an obligatory hit piece to make Christians look bad, can you please explain to me why this garbage thread even exists.

Because these people exist and he is referencing them.

And I didn't "just acknowledge" it was already acknowledged.

Alrighty, cool, and people like him and his mindset exist and and I'm referencing them too.

You cool with that?

Sure.

At the end of the day, there are bad people out there religious or not...and there will be people to question them, religious or not..that's all this is.

If you are gonna take offence to the possibility of people assuming all Christians are bad, then you should probably also take offence to actual bad Christians as well...as they are helping people make those decisions about the religion.

Xegethra said:

At the end of the day, there are bad people out there religious or not...and there will be people to question them, religious or not..that's all this is.

No, this is a thread made by some guy who thinks that people who are religious -- typically them eeeeeeeevvvvvvvvviiiiiiillllllllllll western Christians -- universally hate anything that is fun and enjoyable becau-- well actually, I don't why he thinks that, because he made a boat load of absurd generalizations and failed to consider the possibility that the overwhelming majority of people who are religious don't go around beating up on our favorite video game.

Xegethra said:

If you are gonna take offence to the possibility of people assuming all Christians are bad, then you should probably also take offence to actual bad Christians as well..

Oh, I like this one! This is the one where you make another assumption that I, and other Christians/Catholics/insert-denomination-of-your-choice don't already do that.

Xegethra said:

as they are helping people make those decisions about the religion.

But, but, wait! I thought we just said that only religious people are illogical and do illogical things like letting other people make up their minds for them. Fuck research and logic when you can have the intellectual will of a fruit salad.

I never said only religious people make mistakes, I never said anyone was perfect. I just said bad religious people tend to make the forefront more often because bad things are often the preferred focus.

Yes, I made a mistake myself about you and being offended about the bad people in your religion. So I can accept that. We are a bit of a
contradictive race, even if unintentionally. You even made some assumptions yourself, so you're not perfect either.

But the main points have already been spoken about anyhow, which is that some religious people bash a game with little to no knowledge of what it actually is about and because these people throw tantrums over everything because they hate everything, they gain attention because of how outspoken they can be, they seek the media to tell their misinformed opinions on it....and because of this it generates negative light on religious folk in some people's eyes. I am well aware, and so are others....that not all religious people are like this.

But even so take it easy, I'm not hating on you or your religion but it doesn't make things much better either getting all heat up about it. Let's keep calm and respect ey?

36appl0912 said:

Religious people (specifically western Christians) seem to criticize DOOM or any game and movie depicting demons even though they are the villains.

It's the occult and satanic references they'd be objecting to, and Doom's not short of them. Some fundies have probably convinced themselves (and are attempting to convince others) that regardless of a game's objective, exposing players to such unwholesome material results in their minds being warped so they become satanists, mass murderers, tree-hugging liberals and/or (worst of all) atheists.

I'm a devout Christian, and I love Doom. I listen to Metal, play D&D, have interest in dark, Gothic, "evil" things. Different strokes for different folks.

It's something I've often wondered myself - like, I get being opposed to the violence and whatnot, but I never got how a game can be pro-satanic when the demons are the enemy and the goal is to kill them all. I mean, I was raised Christian, and I never got anything anywhere that would lead me to conclude that a game about killing demons is itself somehow evil or satanic. It's like, demons are evil, but fighting demons is also evil? What? The best I can come up with is that they don't really even look at the game (well, we all know they never really look at the games too closely before getting outraged), and think that because there are demons in the game, that must mean that you ARE the demons. And then geekmarine was a zombie. Sorry, sorry, I really need to stop doing that.

36appl0912 said:

This is something that has irked me since I was little. Religious people (specifically western Christians) seem to criticize DOOM or any game and movie depicting demons even though they are the villains. YOU KILL THE DEMONS! That is a good thing. Someone may have brought this up before, but answer with your genuine unfiltered opinions. Furthermore, this logic problem also occurs with any game involving the killing of malevolent beings like aliens or terrorists. People criticized Wolfenstein 3d even though you kill Nazis. That is a good lesson to teach kids. See racist mass murderer, blow his brains out. LOGIC!

Alright I'll just put in my two cents about this topic. I'm Roman Catholic and I have no problem with Doom. I've been playing it since I was a little kid and I to this day I don't see how it would promote Satanism. In layman's terms, you (the Doom Marine) are doing the holy work of eradicating demons and saving Mars/Earth.

I don't understand why this thread is even made. I mean come on, you are practically beating a dead horse. Do you honestly still go around hearing fundamentalist Christians babble about how Doom is evil on a daily basis? And by "Western Christians" are you referring to American Protestantism (Born-Again Christians or Evangelicals) or European Western such as Catholicism? Born-Again Christians or Evangelicals tend to be very much against video game violence/anything with Satanic imagery.

Every religion has its negative stereotypes, but just keep in mind that not everyone who identifies themselves as a Western Christian falls under the category of a anti-Doomer fundie.

It's the violence, plain and simple.

You're more of a loonie than anyone who believes in magical people in the sky if you think your average 40-50 years old at the time of Doom release cared enough about the game to even know it consisted of fighting demons or had satanic imagery.

Guns and blood, shown in more immersive and realistic graphics than ever at the time, were the issue.

Now good people, I was not making generalizations at all. I am fully aware that many people who are religious love demonic fiction and if you think I was implying that Christians can't understand logic, you are putting words in my mouth. I don't hunger for a flame war so I will leave you now and make not a comment more.