Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Duke Nukem 3D maps?

Duke Nukem 3D is one of my favorite shooters of all time, the hallmark of the game for me being E2 (because it feels like Doom 1). I've finished the game numerous times but I've never tried a custom map nor do I know where to start. Are any of you familiar with the Duke3D modding scene? If so, where are the best maps found? Could you perhaps share a list with the maps you consider the best? In Doom I like both vanilla and enhanced maps so feel free to share. E2 style maps would be awesome.

I'm interested in the very same thing as DooM_RO, except that I prefer City theme - such an openness and comically realistic style isn't that common in Doom mapping, unlike Duke-E2 lunar stations which are similar to Doom's techbases. But I like them a lot too. I've recently got familiar with Duke source ports, and would appreciate some tips for good usermade maps too. ;)

The Gate would be one of the most satisfying extensions of the Duke3D experience. Basically three new full episodes of roughly the same quality as the game.

Starship troopers TC is a must play along with the Red series of maps. I found those to be hugely enjoyable.

I never liked Duke Nukem 3D's space maps, they just doesn't fit the Duke Nukem 3D theme for me like the city maps do, not to mention the Vacation and DC maps.

I really like the moody atmosphere of the second episode, particularly the maps from Tiberius Station. I still have a sense of wonder seeing all the loopholes they used to achieve realism. I'm gonna give some of these mods a go and tell you what I think.

AndrewB said:

The Gate would be one of the most satisfying extensions of the Duke3D experience. Basically three new full episodes of roughly the same quality as the game.

Ehh, I wouldn't really agree. Some of the places are pretty cool but none really match the quality and diversity of the original. Is there something similar to DTWID for Duke3D?

DooM_RO said:

Is there something similar to DTWID for Duke3D?

I did find some maps that were cut from the game made by the Level Lord himself but they were only 2 singleplayer city maps and 2 dukematch maps.

DooM_RO said:

DTWID for Duke3D?

Would be great if that happened as I'd like to play LA Meltdone redone, but the Duke Nukem 3D community is much different than this one so it's not likely to happen any time soon.

I wish Duke Nukem's community was as well structured as Doom's. Even though it's easy to find doomworld.com's equivalent for Duke (Duke4.net) I can't seem to find my way around. There is no list of "best WADs" etc. and like the OP, I don't know where to start.

I figured I would try Duke Nukem 3D's reiteration of Duke Nukem Forever. It seems like an interesting project.

I wish we had a Doom Builder 2 equivalent for Duke 3d. The Duke3D editor keeps crashing for me. And the controls are incomprehensible.

Well why don't you try the Duke Plus and the Attrition mods?
They do have maps incluided but specially Attrition as it has some of the best maps.
Also i would recommend the DNF2013 and it's dlc as they are very enjoyable.

scifista42 said:

I'm interested in the very same thing as DooM_RO, except that I prefer City theme

A good city map is scar city in Duke Plus, its one of my all time favorites too.

I've tried some of the maps, but few are as good as the originals. What maps are considered to be the best?

I've just played Slums of L.A...HIGHLY recommended, it's like 3D Realms themselves made it.

Roch-series maps are pretty fun too. Some maps can be little confusing where to go, but overall, I like the design and few quirks it has.

DooM_RO said:

I've just played Slums of L.A...HIGHLY recommended, it's like 3D Realms themselves made it.

I just tried it but with the Duke 64 mod simply because of tired of the vanilla weapons, surprisingly it works however it's not bad for a custom map and the difficulty feels good enough, I like some of the architecture and that diesel truck.

The maps which are considered the bests are generally the Red series and other maps by Merljin Van Oostrum; the Roch series; the Bobsp series.

I also recommend MRCK's maps from 2004 onward; some of them are a bit tricky when it comes to finding hidden keys or buttons but they're still topnotch nonetheless.
I also recommend anything by William Gee; try WGCity for instance.

The best site to find usermaps is DNR but it's been dead for a few years now; hasn't been updated in a couple of years which is a damn shame.
http://dukerepository.com/

So for anything more recent you'll have to go on MSDN
http://msdn.duke4.net/

You can also check this new site which reviews maps and mods, but it's more recent so doesn't have as much yet and also reviews plenty of old not so good maps for some reasons
scent-88.com

What I recommend is going through the list of maps, and click on a few and try the ones that look appealing to you from the reviews or screenshots.

As far as episodes, mods or TCs are concerned, you can try:
Episodes:
- Metropolitan Mayhem episode; a 15maps episode (including 1 secret map and 4 boss maps) made in classic city style of the original game
- if you're still craving for more classic style stuff you can try New York Rebellion
- WGRealms, a 5 maps episode which I consider some of the best stuff ever made for Duke3D.
- WGSpace; an episode of spacemap by the same author
- Brave New World; it's got a couple of shitty new weapons but the maps are fun
- DNF mod; a recreation of what was seen in old DNF trailers except made in Duke3D. As a bike you can drive, too. It also has a 3 maps DLC but if you ask me it's not as good.
- Starship Troopers. Still holds up today as one of the best TCs
- and then you have eduke32 standalone mods like AMC-TC or WGRealms 2.

Check back in a couple of weeks and the community 17 maps episode Duke Hard should be released

This is significant enough to warrant a bump.

An EDuke32 Addon Compilation was released by Nightfright in December of 2014 which contains a collection of 60 of the greatest Episodes/Total Conversions containing about 670 levels in total, fully revised with fixes to the original maps where necessary to be compatible with EDuke32.

http://forums.duke4.net/topic/7640-release-eduke32-addon-compilation/

Download:
http://www.duke4.org/files/nightfright/misc/eduke32_addons.exe

Speaking of Duke3D i recently tried an interesting Sonic mod called "Sonic the Hedgehog 3D v0.31", the storyline is close to Sonic 3's storyline, even the levels are nicely designed to look like Sonic kevels , I Also tried BloodTC (A Remake of original blood), as far as i know Blood used the same engine that Duke3D used .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

As far as i know Blood used the same engine that Duke3D used .

Uses a heavily modified BUILD engine actually :P If that were the case it'd be easy to reverse engineer it and make a source port without the actually code.

Hence Redneck Rampage now has a source port via reverse engineering running under EDuke32 as it's code is very similar to Duke3D.

http://www.jonhunt.com/redneck/erampage.html

Bloodite Krypto said:

Uses a heavily modified BUILD engine actually :P If that were the case it'd be easy to reverse engineer it and make a source port without the actually code.

Hence Redneck Rampage now has a source port via reverse engineering running under EDuke32 as it's code is very similar to Duke3D.

http://www.jonhunt.com/redneck/erampage.html

Holy fuck! Thanks for posting that, I had no idea.