Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

Is Fargo this year's Breaking Bad?

Available on the new specialty channel FX, or on certain websites if you don't feel like going the legitimate route. It's set in the same location as the movie, but in a different year and with completely new characters.

After watching the first three episodes, there are really only three comparisons that come to mind for me. Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, and of course the original film, Fargo.

Yeah I keep saying its a version of Breaking Bad. Dark and serious, yet its still funny almost a subtle comedy. I have to sit through a lot of straight up dramas and they're all crap. I enjoy something like this and Breaking Bad.

I've only watched the first ep, but I liked it. Got too get caught up. The stereotypical midwest accent is funny for a bit, though it does get old.

I watch it commercialless on demand, but the episodes without commercials are 73 minutes. All 3 episodes. Not sure why. Every episode is like a movie and they give everything time to breathe.

AndrewB said:

It's set in the same location as the movie

The people in Brainerd and Bemidji won't be too happy with that claim.

It's easy to tell them apart. Bemidji is the one with the huge statues of Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox. Brainerd is the one with an even bigger Paul, who moves his arms and talks. Both road signs featuring Paul & Babe (as shown in the movie and the TV series) are fakes.

But yeah, in a more general sense, the TV series excellently captures the feel of the movie and contains many references to it, direct and indirect.

Definitely worth checking out. The only show to pique my interest since Breaking Bad ended has been Hannibal (which has been amazing in its own right thus far), so I feel like it's high time a show like this came around.

btw the guy that plays Saul Goodman is on the show as the new police chief that's just clueless.

Speaking of Breaking Bad, I saw Hank on 'the Councilor' movie for 2 minutes.

Ralphis said:

Been digging Shameless recently

Shameless is good, but that's probably because I live in Chicago and used to have a scummy life. I had a girlfriend who's sister ran the household and raised them, because their alcoholic father disappeared and their mother abandon them for a new man that didn't want any kids.

I tried watching the UK version on Netflix and I just couldn't get into it.

geo said:

I tried watching the UK version on Netflix and I just couldn't get into it.

I didn't even realise that they'd remade it as an American series.

Wow, never heard of this, glad you shared it. Breaking Bad was just plain amazing.

TimeOfDeath said:

Emmy Rossum is so hot

TITLEPIC of next anigav wad.

Well, with one episode left, I have to say this show took a pretty dark turn. Pretty much on par with the final episodes of Breaking Bad. I wonder if it will have an equally satisfying ending.

This past week's was fucking awesome. I've been joking with my gf... its cold outside, put your hood up.

I don't think I've ever been as comfortable and on the edge of my seat as I was with last week's episode.

Season 2 confirmed! It will be set in 1979. It hasn't been written yet, but it's expected to air in the fall of next year.

AndrewB said:

Season 2 confirmed! It will be set in 1979. It hasn't been written yet, but it's expected to air in the fall of next year.

I really feel that should be it for the show. Its so good that it shouldn't dare have a 2nd season although I can imagine where they'd go from here in a 1979 setting. Lester's boyhood, the entire town's youth since everyone knew each other.

Uhh, no. The story will revolve around the incident in Sioux Falls, something that was mentioned several times in season 1. The main character will be Molly's father when he was 33 years old. Possibly all the other characters and actors will be new.

Maybe the new season will involve Wade Gustafson and how he made his fortune. That would be the most obvious tie-in.