Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fletcher`

Hocusdoom RELEASED (in /idgames)

Bartjaah said:

Hi,

I'm trying to get this game on a full 100%* to get a nice highscore.
(*= 100% kills, 100% treasures/secrets and within the par-time).

Currently I'm at the secret level (Episode 1). I found the secret warp in the castle, but I'm still missing 15 treasures.

Anyone any hints?

Bart.

Nevermind, I found them. Nicely done. Although I'd like to report a bug on this level. Sometimes when I play it, when you reach the last floaty-island, which is connected to the castle with a bridge, the enemies on that bridge aren't, activated and stand still. So no flying yellow creatures, all of the orcs are frozen in line and the wizard at the end of the bridge too. Seems like I miss their activation-trigger sometimes.

I think this happens because I go for the blue gems on the right first...

Bartjaah said:

Nevermind, I found them. Nicely done. Although I'd like to report a bug on this level. Sometimes when I play it, when you reach the last floaty-island, which is connected to the castle with a bridge, the enemies on that bridge aren't, activated and stand still. So no flying yellow creatures, all of the orcs are frozen in line and the wizard at the end of the bridge too. Seems like I miss their activation-trigger sometimes.

Turns out you're absolutely correct. I forgot a matching trigger in that alcove. It will be fixed in the next update.

Holy crap. Awesome. What a masterpiece. I got right back into the hocus-pocus-feeling back these days.

Current playable demo for 11-28-2016
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18675596/Doomstuff/hocusdoom-11-28-2016.pk3
Mp3 versions of music
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18675596/Doomstuff/hocus_mp3.pk3

changelog for - 11-28-2016

• fix all instances of A_SpawnItem and replaced them with A_SpawnItemEx. They were broken in later versions of gzdoom BECAUSE ZDOOM
  • fixed minor graphical bug with one of the exit strings. Was the wrong color
  • completed map18
  • completed map19
  • more work to particle options (add leaf spawner too)
  • reworked end of episode intermission screens. Should be bugfree.
  • changed inconsistent method for damage for spikes. now uses terrain instead of A_explode
  • added extra frame & sprites for eskimo attacks. Not sure if they were unused in the original game or I missed ripping them. Thanks to Hisymak for their work on a Hocus Pocus editor.
  • with lava becoming much more dangerous to touch, I had to add some extra pathways in some levels to get out of big pools of lava without taking too much damage.
  • removed +SOLID from pillows in the egyptian levels.
  • changed the hudwrap width for wizardtalk from 200 to 250. Gives a little more room for when he feels like being wordy.
  • added several new enemies: skeleton, ghost, another floater (from unused graphics, thanks to Hisymak)
  • added +NOGRAVITY to keys. Now I can place them anywhere!
  • gave the flamejets a damagetype. Monsters could kill themselves on them.
  • made the flamejets less intensive. Did every projectile really need a light?
  • added +DONTSPLASH to several particle effects. They were getting on my nerves.
  • crystal ball pickup sound should not be overridden by anything anymore (hopefully)
  • made the secret platforms in map10 a little more visible.
  • included Hisymak's GENMIDI. Sounds pretty close to the original. I'll still keep the mp3s around though.

Man, projects like these would make great comebacks of an old existing property. I suppose the rights to Hocus Pocus belong to Interceptor now, since they purchased 3D Realms / Apogee. I wouldn't mind paying ten bucks or so for this if it was on Steam.

Hope everyone had a happy new year. Here's to the first update of 2017!

Current playable demo for 01-04-2017
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18675596/Doomstuff/hocusdoom-01-04-2017.pk3
Mp3 versions of music (updated)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18675596/Doomstuff/hocus_mp3.pk3

changelog for - 01-04-2017

• tweaked laser shots blasting through breakable boxes.
  • lowered the volume for spooks.mp3 It was far louder than all the other tracks. (Why did I wait so long to do this?)
  • finished map19
  • added particle controls to LeafBlower and fixed HocusMagicSmoke
  • changed the flame jet traps so they can have a delay before they shut off. Easier for making trap chains
  • changed Maxamount for MonsterMaxHealth from 0xFFFFFFFF to 1000 because it breaks in linux zdoom. Whoops!
  • finished map20
  • finished map21
  • started map22

Just ran the latest version and there was an error when starting up:

Script error, "hocusdoom-01-04-2017.pk3:d_weapon.txt" line 575:
"GETOWNER" is an unknown flag

Execution could not continue.

1 errors while parsing DECORATE scripts

Lingyan203 said:

Just ran the latest version and there was an error when starting up:

Script error, "hocusdoom-01-04-2017.pk3:d_weapon.txt" line 575:
"GETOWNER" is an unknown flag

Execution could not continue.

1 errors while parsing DECORATE scripts

You need the latest version of GZDoom. Here you go.

Thanks for the links! Map20 must be an Electro Man reference! hahahha I love it. I felt like I got a good charge outta this! lol hahahahaha xD xD

Can't wait for the next update and for it to be finished! :)

Great pics! I thought this project was on a break when I read the thread title, good to know there are new updates.

Current playable version for 01-27-2017
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lez6z75cl4kb95t/hocusdoom%2001-27-17.pk3?dl=1
Ogg versions of music (updated)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h4wlfocvkewtmrj/hocusogg.pk3?dl=1

changelog for - 01-27-17

• added smartbombs. Kill any monster within a very large radius, but can also be tied to certain enemies too.
  • finished map23
  • added name particles to most item pickups. These can be disabled in Hocus Options.
  • Fixed picking up rapid fire when already under its effect-thus wasting the pickup.
  • Tweaked breakable boxes so they don't get destroyed by smartbombs. (Why were they ignoring damagetypes from A_Explode that weren't called by projectiles? BECAUSE ZDOOM)
  • Made shooting a little faster. Its amazing how much a single frame makes a difference!
  • added rudimentary code for Highscores table. Not part of the menu yet, so check Hocusdoom options to bind it to a key!
  • Also built in support for future bonus episodes too! This thing is ugly as sin but seems to be working.
  • added TEXTCOLO
  • fixed various minor areas in most other maps
  • expanded last room on map13
  • rewrite most of particle handling again. should be a bit more flexible now. This also changed the CVARS that handled them so be sure to check your settings
  • convert TEXTURE1 to zdoom's TEXTURES and moved to main archive. hocustxt.wad no longer needed
  • moved boost pad script to library and fixed.
  • replaced hocus_mp3.pk3 with hocusogg.pk3 for reduced filesize

I'd just like to bump and post a reminder to use the latest stable verison of gzdoom. Devbuilds may not always work as I've recently found out. So, if you seem to be having a problem with the hud not showing up, that may be the cause. Its been tested to work with the official release 2.3.2 which you can get here

Progress is moving on, and showing off a new feature occasionally found in later levels.

EQaPBaK.png

This guy sure is a dick. He has three unique attacks and they all hurt.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Where the HELL have I been the last 3 years?!! This looks incredible!

*furiously clicks Dropbox download link*

rjm4o4.png

D:  D:  D: 

I've just updated the latest links, hopefully they should work. Dropbox just recently changed their policy on public folders, so all my links were broken.

Hmm, I just checked the 1-27 download links on this page and the front page and now they somehow redirect to this thread instead.

35 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Hmm, I just checked the 1-27 download links on this page and the front page and now they somehow redirect to this thread instead.

Try once more. If this doesn't work, I may have to find a new way to host files.

You may have to copy the link in a new tab for it to work.

Edit2: This is a forum issue. The same identical links posted on zdoom forums work, but not here.

OK so they all are working now. I just downloaded the wad from the first page for January 2017. I don't know what happened earlier, but on this same computer the links `rf had provided were pointing to this thread address instead. Perhaps it was just a glitch in my matrix; irregardless my issue is solved so all seems well.

I just played through a few levels of episode 1 and one thing really jumps out at me. The attack is really annoying to use. Having to click faster when you get more powerups means any powerup past two of em is pretty much useless because I cant comfortably click any faster. Infact, why can't you hold the fire buttom pressed down? It would make the world for my trigger finger.

3 hours ago, BoJustBo said:

I just played through a few levels of episode 1 and one thing really jumps out at me. The attack is really annoying to use. Having to click faster when you get more powerups means any powerup past two of em is pretty much useless because I cant comfortably click any faster. Infact, why can't you hold the fire buttom pressed down? It would make the world for my trigger finger.

Because it was one of the core tenets of the original game, and I wanted to keep mostly faithful to it.

Hmmm, sadly doesn't seem to work with the flac-music anymore...

#edit: Well, nevermind. I had to change the file-type from .zip to .pk3. Works fine now.

This one is really impressive. I see me investing hours in this...

Edited by xAn

38 minutes ago, BoJustBo said:

You telling me this guy is clicking this fast?

https://youtu.be/8yI5RAVWgBo?t=1556

I also notice from gameplay videos of the original game (I've never played it myself) that enemies have way less health which would make repeated clicking less annoying.

They are probably playing on easy difficulty, which has roughly half hitpoints for all monsters. For the most part, I use the same hitpoint values from the original game. (except for bosses as they needed further tweaking)