Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fletcher`

Hocusdoom RELEASED (in /idgames)

MusicallyInspired said:

Awesome! I've often wondered what this would be like in 3D.

The original's soundtrack supported the SC-55. It was on my list to record on my website but now this is incentive to do it sooner!

the mp3s I recorded with dosbox, using 'Adlib.' At least its better than Windowd Midi :P

I just let my MIDI synth play them, in all honesty. It's not like I use the much-maligned Windows GM.DLS; I prefer BASSMIDI using 8MBGMSYS.sf2 as the soundfont, with CT4MGM.sf2 as a fallback so I can have triangle wave instruments on bank 8 in the few MIDIs that use 'em. Plays Hocus Pocus tracks (and Doom, too) quite nicely.

New version for today!

Current playable demo from 05/11/2014

Mp3 versions of music

[===== Changelog: =====]

05/11/2014

• Made the radius for player shots larger so that they hit enemies easier. also made them slightly homing.
  • Toying with autofire. The main spell weapon won't have autofire, but is more responsive.
  • The Power Wand WILL have autofire though.
  • Hitting enemies will give you a point of recharge. Now rewards you for getting into the fray by letting you shoot faster when up close.
  • Cleaning up various scripts that I haven't touched in years.
  • Fixed an issue with the fireball prematurely detonating on breakable blocks. Works fine now!
  • Added the Super Jump Potion. Thanks Kate! -Unavoidable issue where landing on a bridge or breakable block won't cancel glitter effect.
  • Help page updated to reflect new Power Wand
  • Moved music in _mp3 into a folder to alleviate some hotloading issues

Slaving at the old pixelmines again.

Map05: The Frigid Fields
http://i.imgur.com/vdtmT73.png
http://i.imgur.com/TM3rcoC.png
http://i.imgur.com/hUs8hJZ.png
http://i.imgur.com/C4GcJqz.png

Was able to get a close friend to do some work on the penguin enemies for this set, so now I have everything I need to finish Episode 1. Just need to finish the maps now. :D

If there was ever a project worth masturbating to, this would be it. I am going to be honest here and say that I have never in my life played Hocus Pocus, but the visuals look absolutely amazing in your screenshots. The one thing that worries me however, is the amount of levels (40) which makes me think that a lot of maps might differ greatly in quality add to that, build time of the whole thing. I wish you good luck with this one and I hope you don't forget about Curse of Darkness in the process as that is another one of yours that is looking sweet.

Oh crap, a demo? Better get the latest GZDoom, I've really been wanting to play this!

EDIT: Just downloaded GZDoom from this page: http://www.osnanet.de/c.oelckers/gzdoom/download.html When trying to run the PK3, I get this error: Script error, "hocusbeta.pk3:decorate" line 1265:
"NEVERTARGET" is an unknown flag

Should I use a different version of GZDoom? If so, where can I get it?

Doomkid92 said:

Should I use a different version of GZDoom? If so, where can I get it?

1.8.4 can be found here: http://forum.drdteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6158

rf` said:

New version for today!

Tried this out, and am liking it! A couple of notes:

• I still don't see the crystal count on the fullscreen HUD.
• Breakable bricks still seem to take targeting priority over monsters behind them.
• When talking to the wizard, can it be changed so that only hitting the "use" key/button takes the message away? I run around holding SHIFT all the time, and when I hit "use" (spacebar for me) while holding SHIFT, the message pops up and then immediately disappears, because it's detecting the held-down SHIFT as a key press.

Oh, yeah, and those ice levels look gorgeous! Keep up the great work.

Salt-Man Z said:

Tried this out, and am liking it! A couple of notes:

• I still don't see the crystal count on the fullscreen HUD.
• Breakable bricks still seem to take targeting priority over monsters behind them.
• When talking to the wizard, can it be changed so that only hitting the "use" key/button takes the message away? I run around holding SHIFT all the time, and when I hit "use" (spacebar for me) while holding SHIFT, the message pops up and then immediately disappears, because it's detecting the held-down SHIFT as a key press.

Oh, yeah, and those ice levels look gorgeous! Keep up the great work.

Whoops, forgot to add a counter to the fullscreen hud.

I don't know what's goin on with the breakable bricks as it seems +NEVERTARGET does nothing.

Aaaand I'm not sure about the Wizard thing. Its set up right now that any keypress will take you out of the chat, though I don't think there's any check performed for the Shift key specifically. I'll give it a look again.

edit: Whoops, yeah its checking for BT_SPEED. I always have autorun on so its never an issue for me personally.

Salt-Man Z said:

Thanks!

Damnit. Now it boots up to the title screen fine, I select my difficulty, the I select the first episode, it sits for a second then I get a "Very Fatal Error" message. What the god damn?

When I select episode two, it tells me to select episode 1 first, so it seems like everything is working right until I actually get into the game..

I wonder what the hell is causing this? Has it happened to anyone else? I want to play this, looks like a very extensive mod..

Ha ha, I love it! I think we found the game Tom Hall wanted to make instead of Doom, at least in spirit. The art style is a wonderful blend of models and sprites, and I like the cohesive look of it all. Awesome.

New Version for 05-21-2014
Hocus Pocus MP3 (no change)

changelog for - 05-21-2014

• New sprites for Lightning Spell
  • Added new enemy - Tengu
  • Added Map05
  • Fixed some issues with Wizard talk. Still waiting for new changes to TimeFreeze to fix music not playing
  • Did some more work for the Full-screen hud
  • Added to the huds a background meter for your max number of shots
  • Changed Power Shot. Instead of doing 10 damage to one enemy, now splits into 10 lightning shots.
  • Changed Hard difficulty. Monsters now have 1.5 health and their shots do twice as much damage.
  • Added secret difficulty. Rage mode ensues.
  • Power Shot gives 20 shots instead of 10
  • Splitter Shot gives 30 shots instead of 20
  • Homing shots gives 40 instead of 50
  • More work with the Power Wand. Shots do the same damage as regular, but recharge time is faster and autofires.
  • cosmetic changes to some actors.
  • I don't know if I want to have backers to Wizard conversations, but I thought I'd try them out anyway. They don't look half bad, actually.
  • Changed the par time for map04 to something more sensible. Probably not possible to get EVERYTHING in 300 seconds. Someone prove me wrong.
  • Completely remade the font and moved item strings to language.enu
  • Monsters now play their sound at full volume regardless of where you are
  • Monsters deaths are more satisfying now. They really do *POP* :P

rf` said:

• Changed Power Shot. Instead of doing 10 damage to one enemy, now splits into 10 lightning shits.

Sounds painful; Hocus should see a doctor about that.

Gotta say, this is looking pretty awesome so far. I played the heck out of Hocus Pocus way back when. I still have the CD as well. :)

I'm not dead, I swear. Working on map06 and obliterating lightning shits and whatnot. Actually, I've spent more work on bugfixes and revising features than mapping lately, so at least something's getting done.

I've never played Hocus Pocus and I'm excited about this mod anyway.

My 4-year-old daughter watched me play through this recently, and thought it was awesome, so you can't not finish it now. :)

Oh my god, by no means do I exaggerate when I say that I can barely contain my semen. Huge mythic-scape exploration hubs are incredibly satisfying to play when you sit down with a tall glass of cold beverage and a bag of snacks. These latest shots are inspirational.

If anyone else likes this kind of thing I strongly recommend you check out Serpent: Resurrection, a Hexen adventure created by The Ultimate Doomer.

I've recorded an SC-55 music pack of Hocus Pocus's soundtrack. I tried using them with this mod, but while it does respect the LOOP_START metadata tag for looping, it doesn't detect the LOOP_END metadata tag. My tracks repeat the first section of each song at the end and then fade out (for listening purposes outside the game). I set a metadata tag for LOOP_END in samples which the game is then supposed to detect and jump the song back to the LOOP_START tag position. The song does jump back but only after the end of the song when it's faded out. So it's ignoring the LOOP_END tag.

This isn't the case for my Doom SC-55 soundtrack, which does respect both metadata tags and loops properly. Is this an issue with ZDoom/GZDoom only paying attention to the Doom track filenames or is this something with this mod somehow messing things up? Anyone have any idea?

Finally got around to testing this in the latest version of gzdoom and this is what I got:

"1 errors while parsing decorate scripts"

"Script error, "hocus_beta5212014.pk3:decorate" line 1327: "NEVERTARGET" is an unknown flag."

D: